What's new

2020 Rocnel Sailor adjustable razor production model

SOTD

Rocnel sailor S 2020 adjustable razor
Gillette nacet blade
Executive shaving pre shave oil
Ariana and evans club bacarra set
Giles shaving shallow shaving bowl

Set the razor to setting 2 and started first pass wtg. Once you get over how solid and heavy this razor is its very easy to shave with. Super efficient and no blade feel at setting 2. Felt super safe to use. Nice balance point.

Next pass xtg stayed at setting 2 and again felt great. Pass completed quickly and enjoyably.

Stayed at setting 2 for 3rd pass. Again it was a joy to use and was surprisingly easy to use under to nose/top lip. 2 small weepers on the neck.

Finished off cheeks atg on setting 3 and cold rinse.

Absolutely love this beast of a razor. Not only do I find it stunning to look at, it shaves really well. Blade was held super securely.

10/10.

No irritation felt post shave. BBS result.

Attachments

• 20201104_205551.jpg
    20201104_205551.jpg
    899.8 KB · Views: 27
Well ...looks like a real heavy razor.
That's not everyone's preference, YMMV as always.
And 690 Eur for "Made in Turkey"...?
Not for my wallet, specificly not for this combi-nation. :wink:

As far as I know, the 316L steel Rocnel uses is Italian. The design is Turkish, so are the fingers of the person who presses the CNC machine buttons and then polishes the pieces. I suggest you read a little about Turkish industrial manufacturing. Certainly not as good as Germany, but they are very good too, also because they have a strong influence from Germany.

In my opinion the sentence above should be "690 Eur for a safety razor", regardless of origin... It's a beauty though, and more a piece of art than anything else.

It wasn't made in Turkey by a factory. It was hand made by one person taking weeks. With 24K gold plated adjustment ring and a 24K embossed emblem in the base of the handle. Also only 100 made so more exclusive than a wolfman.

And for me shaves beautifully. Ymmv as you say but I think you should read up about rocnel.

I got my Sailor 2020 model back in July through Mustafa @ Extrashaving. It is a beautiful crafted razor and gives me fantastic shaves in a row. Sure, you need to dial in this razor as it is much heavier than most other adjustables on the market and the head is relative bulky. With experience from earlier Sailors, it was easy to get used to the 2020 model. I agree with other users here that the 2020 is the leader regarding smoothness and efficency.

I go my usual 3 pass rutine with the Sailor; WTG, XTG and ATG. While most people in this thread keep the setting at the same level or dial down between passes, I am going the opposite way: I start WTG at a low level, normally 2 and than dial up one level with each pass, ending at level 5. This gives me the most pleasant shaves and my face feels smooth longest. I did some shaves starting at level 4 and then dial up to level 1 + one turn. Blade feel increases significate while efficency not improves with the same ratio for me.

My to go blade are Polsiver Super Iridiums. I have used Astras, Feathers and Kai Stainless too with the Sailor. Polsivers are great as expected while Feathers require some more attention during the shave, especially XTG and ATG. A positive experience were Asco Super Stainless blades from Egypt, they gave a nice smooth face feel at higher settings.

I do have several Sailor razors in my den and the evolution and continous improvement of the design Murat has preformed is amazing IMO. I agree with others here that the 2020 Sailor is expensive but one of the best razors available today. On the other hand, with each generation the weight of the razor has increased to now about 170 gr. I am looking forward to a TI Sailor in the future. In my eyes, the use of Titanium will allow Rocnel to further develope the Sailor Adjustable design but get more control over the weight of the razor.

Regards
Marco

proxy.php

I got my Sailor 2020 model back in July through Mustafa @ Extrashaving. It is a beautiful crafted razor and gives me fantastic shaves in a row. Sure, you need to dial in this razor as it is much heavier than most other adjustables on the market and the head is relative bulky. With experience from earlier Sailors, it was easy to get used to the 2020 model. I agree with other users here that the 2020 is the leader regarding smoothness and efficency.

I go my usual 3 pass rutine with the Sailor; WTG, XTG and ATG. While most people in this thread keep the setting at the same level or dial down between passes, I am going the opposite way: I start WTG at a low level, normally 2 and than dial up one level with each pass, ending at level 5. This gives me the most pleasant shaves and my face feels smooth longest. I did some shaves starting at level 4 and then dial up to level 1 + one turn. Blade feel increases significate while efficency not improves with the same ratio for me.

My to go blade are Polsiver Super Iridiums. I have used Astras, Feathers and Kai Stainless too with the Sailor. Polsivers are great as expected while Feathers require some more attention during the shave, especially XTG and ATG. A positive experience were Asco Super Stainless blades from Egypt, they gave a nice smooth face feel at higher settings.

I do have several Sailor razors in my den and the evolution and continous improvement of the design Murat has preformed is amazing IMO. I agree with others here that the 2020 Sailor is expensive but one of the best razors available today. On the other hand, with each generation the weight of the razor has increased to now about 170 gr. I am looking forward to a TI Sailor in the future. In my eyes, the use of Titanium will allow Rocnel to further develope the Sailor Adjustable design but get more control over the weight of the razor.

Regards
Marco

proxy.php

Do you know if Murat has any intention of releasing a titanium sailor in the future ?

Also how many 2020 sailors were produced ?

I have the 2018 version also and can see the evolution of the design.

Do you know if Murat has any intention of releasing a titanium sailor in the future ?

Also how many 2020 sailors were produced ?

I have the 2018 version also and can see the evolution of the design.

I recall a post on Instagram that Rocnel will machine TI razors in 2021. Not sure if that includes future Sailor models but IMO it would make sense regarding weight.

As far as I know, the 316L steel Rocnel uses is Italian.
Rocnel has some really innovative designs, but I don't for a minute believe that the steel used is 316L. I had a Rocnel Elite 2017 that had a dent from a drop of about one foot onto a cheap cafeteria table (hardly a hard surface), and I have seen other Rocnel razors on BST with abnormally deep scratches and gashes. Whatever steel Rocnel is using, it's very, very soft.

Top Bottom