What's new

2020 Rocnel Sailor adjustable razor production model

For most of my razors I can loosen the top cap after shaving, blow the water out and let it dry until the late afternoon when I will tighten it up and get it ready for the next day.

I'm noticing with the 21 the blade doesn't dry by loosening the top cap. I'm thinking about disassembling it each day, but that takes a little extra time and I'm not sure the additional wear and tear on the threads and blade handling is worth it. OTOH I can easily see tea staining happening with some blades and I wouldn't like that either.

I was wondering how others care for their Sailors on a daily basis?

I never leave the blade in any razor I own - I used to do that and had tea staining on one razor starr to develop as a result.

Nowadays I take the blade out and diisassemble the razor and wash with soap and rinse every part of the razor and wipe them with a cloth and a micro fiber cloth to dry them. I then leave it to dry completely in diassembled form. I lean the handle on something to ensure that all the water drains out making sure first that if it falls, it will not hit anything made of metal that can scratch it.

I am considering using isopropyl alcohol to soal the parts of the razor in before they are stored away to expel water and disinfect but I am concerned that it may damage the finish of the razor? Does any one here do that practice with their sailor razor?

Random question for the group as Murat is saving me a place in August, but apparently the stands will not be available for awhile. I'm told the handle opening on the Sailor is 6 mm-ish. The stand post on the Taiga stand looks like it clocks in at exactly 6 mm. Does anyone know if the 2021 Sailor will fit on one of these stands? I have a Rex stand, so I know it will fit on that, but I expect there would be considerable play. Any observations welcome - thx!

I never leave the blade in any razor I own - I used to do that and had tea staining on one razor starr to develop as a result.

Nowadays I take the blade out and disassemble the razor and wash with soap and rinse every part of the razor and wipe them with a cloth and a micro fiber cloth to dry them. I then leave it to dry completely in diassembled form. I lean the handle on something to ensure that all the water drains out making sure first that if it falls, it will not hit anything made of metal that can scratch it.

I am considering using isopropyl alcohol to soak the parts of the razor in before they are stored away to expel water and disinfect but I am concerned that it may damage the finish of the razor? Does any one here do that practice with their sailor razor?
This is what I do, and I think it is sound practice.

I have thought about using rubbing alcohol too, but worry that it might affect the inner mechanism (drying it out) and the gold plated parts (removing the plating) as it is a solvent; Those are the reasons I don't use it.

Definitely don't use an ultrasonic cleaner as this will affect the gold.

The only way for it to be left alone after a shave with minimal maintenance would be if the razor were made out of either copper or brass. Could you imagine a brass Sailor? That would be heavy as hell lol.
Probably would weigh half a pound!

This is what I do, and I think it is sound practice.

I have thought about using rubbing alcohol too, but worry that it might affect the inner mechanism (drying it out) and the gold plated parts (removing the plating) as it is a solvent; Those are the reasons I don't use it.

Definitely don't use an ultrasonic cleaner as this will affect the gold.

The only way for it to be left alone after a shave with minimal maintenance would be if the razor were made out of either copper or brass. Could you imagine a brass Sailor? That would be heavy as hell lol.
Probably would weigh half a pound!

LOL any heavier and rhe sailor would quality as a battlefield weapon!

Titanium would probably be ideal for it as it wouldn't tarnish as readily as brass or copper...

Random question for the group as Murat is saving me a place in August, but apparently the stands will not be available for awhile. I'm told the handle opening on the Sailor is 6 mm-ish. The stand post on the Taiga stand looks like it clocks in at exactly 6 mm. Does anyone know if the 2021 Sailor will fit on one of these stands? I have a Rex stand, so I know it will fit on that, but I expect there would be considerable play. Any observations welcome - thx!

I don't have a good way to measure the hole in the handle, my calipers are too big. However, the post on the stand that came with my prototype measures 5.75mm and there is little play. My suggestion would be to find a 6mm bolt/screw and test it that way. Let us know how you make out.

I don't have a good way to measure the hole in the handle, my calipers are too big. However, the post on the stand that came with my prototype measures 5.75mm and there is little play. My suggestion would be to find a 6mm bolt/screw and test it that way. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks! Sailor is inbound in a month or so and I have the Taiga, so real-world test pending, but Murat says stand production within 3 months so I guess I'll stand by. Just impatient! :001_smile

My RAD is kicking in overdrive right now, Murat is releasing a 'Master Collection' Sailor series, and is being offered at 690 USD just like the 2020. I think this is a 2 set piece with the razor, stand, gold ring and dial engraving. Just wow!!! :

My RAD is kicking in overdrive right now, Murat is releasing a 'Master Collection' Sailor series, and is being offered at 690 USD just like the 2020. I think this is a 2 set piece with the razor, stand, gold ring and dial engraving. Just wow!!! :

Thanks for the heads up. I feel a need for this one. My understanding is these will be machined, finished, assembled, and QC'd by Murat himself...hence the Master nomenclature (my guess). I am told the MC will be low in quantity.

Thanks for the heads up. I feel a need for this one. My understanding is these will be machined, finished, assembled, and QC'd by Murat himself...hence the Master nomenclature (my guess). I am told the MC will be low in quantity.
Anytime my friend. These are indeed special. The extra touches just sets this thing off. You've been patiently waiting, I think if you are going to get a production model, this is the one to get.

And an update to the previous query. The post on the Taiga stand is exactly 6.9mm thick, and the handle opening on the titanium Taiga is exactly 7.0mm (0.05mm on either side when the razor is seated). On the Rex stand the post is exactly 5.0mm, and the Rex handle opening is 5.2mm (0.1mm on either side). So that would work with a 6mm opening with a bit of play (0.5mm on either side). Looking forward to what Murat comes up with for a stand....

And an update to the previous query. The post on the Taiga stand is exactly 6.9mm thick, and the handle opening on the titanium Taiga is exactly 7.0mm (0.05mm on either side when the razor is seated). On the Rex stand the post is exactly 5.0mm, and the Rex handle opening is 5.2mm (0.1mm on either side). So that would work with a 6mm opening with a bit of play (0.5mm on either side). Looking forward to what Murat comes up with for a stand....
Check out the video I just posted, there is a new stand there.

Saw that - it was for the closed-end (capped) handle, so maybe Murat doesn't use a post-style stand? Should work for either....
I think that stand is the finalized version. He had a couple of prototypes before that utilized a pole, but I think he has gotten rid of those ones in favor for the one you see in the video.

Check out the video I just posted, there is a new stand there.

Aha! From reviews and posts (and scattered photos of the razor with stand), I had assumed there was a hole in the handle of the 2021, but it occurs to me I've never actually seen a view of the southern end - so a post-style stand wouldn't work anyway if it's capped off (mine isn't in hand yet).

The master collection 2021 sailor looks almost indistinguishable from rhe 2020 sailor s in terms of shape and design so I hope that when the titanium one comes out it will look significantly different otherwise its going to be very confusing in the future to differentiate between them all!

The master collection 2021 sailor looks almost indistinguishable from rhe 2020 sailor s in terms of shape and design so I hope that when the titanium one comes out it will look significantly different otherwise its going to be very confusing in the future to differentiate between them all!

The MC looks like a 21 top cap (wider flat) on a 20 base plate (thicker). While the different models share the same look, the base of the handles will be a good way to determine group. I hear you tho.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

How does this razor differ from the Sailor 2021? (Other than the gold ring of course)
  1. It looks like the published weight is the same, right?
  2. Is the handle length and diameter the same?
  3. The head?
  4. It's been mentioned the baseplate might be different but I don't know enough about the Sailors to have a clue?
  5. Is this essentially the same as the 2021 with a gold ring?
Happy shaves,

Jim

How does this razor differ from the Sailor 2021? (Other than the gold ring of course)
  1. It looks like the published weight is the same, right?
  2. Is the handle length and diameter the same?
  3. The head?
  4. It's been mentioned the baseplate might be different but I don't know enough about the Sailors to have a clue?
  5. Is this essentially the same as the 2021 with a gold ring?
Happy shaves,

Jim
This is basically a limited collector's edition. There are some differences, I'm going by memory so please forgive me if I have missed out on a few things. I am sure @loot can chime in as he now owns one.

The overall average weight of the MC sits at 140g, compared to 136g for the standard '21.

The brushed finish is all over the head now, with a finer grain. The standard '21 has a high polish on both sides of the head, with larger grain work overall.

The handle is about 1mm slimmer, with finer knurling, and not as deeply etched.
It is also extended, to include an engraved detail under the knob; along with the gold ring.

The stand also comes with the set.

I have not shaved with the MC, but from recollection the standard '21 was an improvement from my '20 in terms of performance (smoother, more nimble and just as efficient).

Top Bottom