What's new

2020 Rocnel Sailor adjustable razor production model

not with my 2020 but a little with the 2021
My guess is the design gap range is probably 1 turn back to the dot. The rest is gravy. If there is play, no foul.

I think design stability goes to the 2020, for sure. It is solid, with no play inside. The interection of the handle on the 20 is butter smooth with no felt play. It just feels like a more precise instrument. To me anyway.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
My guess is the design gap range is probably 1 turn back to the dot. The rest is gravy. If there is play, no foul.

I think design stability goes to the 2020, for sure. It is solid, with no play inside. The interection of the handle on the 20 is butter smooth with no felt play. It just feels like a more precise instrument. To me anyway.

Well, it is also a couple hundred bones pricier, too.:pipe:

Hannah's Dad

I dialed the 2021 up to 6 (two dots) for tonight’s shave. A fresh Feather was paired with it.

First pass was very aggressive — like Ikon Tek aggressive — and I didn’t much care for it. It was crazy efficient (of course), but lacked the comfort for my tastes. I felt loads of blade with a steep angle.

I dialed it way back down to 1.5 for the second pass and the smoothness returned. Final pass AGT was at 0 (dot) and it was quite comfortable and yet efficient enough to achieve BBS.

Despite the harshness of the ‘Feather on 6’ , the shave yielded no nicks or irritation. B&M Fern AS gave me ample sting, reminding me of Feather’s legendary sharpness.

Two conclusions were drawn: 1) Feathers on a high number are not for me; and 2) I need suggestions for a gentler blade for when I want to get adventurous.

I dialed the 2021 up to 6 (two dots) for tonight’s shave. A fresh Feather was paired with it.

First pass was very aggressive — like Ikon Tek aggressive — and I didn’t much care for it. It was crazy efficient (of course), but lacked the comfort for my tastes. I felt loads of blade with a steep angle.

I dialed it way back down to 1.5 for the second pass and the smoothness returned. Final pass AGT was at 0 (dot) and it was quite comfortable and yet efficient enough to achieve BBS.

Despite the harshness of the ‘Feather on 6’ , the shave yielded no nicks or irritation. B&M Fern AS gave me ample sting, reminding me of Feather’s legendary sharpness.

Two conclusions were drawn: 1) Feathers on a high number are not for me; and 2) I need suggestions for a gentler blade for when I want to get adventurous.
I find Astra SP are quite gentle for me.

I find PolSilvers to be more comfortable in my aggressive razors, granted I haven’t yet dialed the RS21 that high. My current PolSilver will be on its 13th shave.

—nice adjustment mid shave Dan, and still ended up with a BBS & no nicks and irritation.:thumbup:

Pick your smoothest blade and run it at 6 again. It should be lots of stuff but harsh aint one. It will have blade feel for sure but nothing like an ikon tech or 2011 R41.

I like green pack Astra, GSB, and even Personna blue. Any of those remove the harshness a Feather can impart.

Hannah's Dad

I find PolSilvers to be more comfortable in my aggressive razors, granted I haven’t yet dialed the RS21 that high. My current PolSilver will be on its 13th shave.

—nice adjustment mid shave Dan, and still ended up with a BBS & no nicks and irritation.:thumbup:
A Polsilver on setting 6 was an improvement over the Feather. Thanks for the suggestion, Marius.

Shaved with the RS21 on setting 3 for 2 passes tonight - PolSilver on its last use (13).
1st pass - WTG was a breeze.
2nd pass - Hybrid XTG + ATG pass was delightful.
Fabulous results from yet another sensational shave. The RS21 glides smoothly across the contours of my face and effortlessly slices through the hair.
Results were a close BBS shave and My skin felt very smooth afterwards.

The Rocnel Sailor 21 asserts confidence, is measured and calm, while having his own unique, authentic style.

I have tried voskhod with good results for my 2020 rocnel sailor s.

Hannah's Dad

I had a fantastic shave tonight with the Sailor on level IV with a Polsilver blade (2).
476F1832-15A0-48A8-9997-EBA7A15EBEE5.jpeg

I just had an easy, irritation free BBS shave with the 21 and a Voskhod blade. Today I used a 3 setting WTG, XTG and ATG on the face, a 3 setting WTG on the neck and a 2 setting ATG on the neck. Usually with an adjustable I increase settings with each pass, but this worked today too.

I have no idea how a Wolfman or Rocnel shaves but, on an adjustable razor, I start with a higher setting then work my way down for subsequent passes.

My adjustable theory is that after using a higher setting your whiskers are smaller and going to a less aggressive setting will accomplish less on each pass. In addition, your beard growth and skin may be better prepared for a higher setting after having had more time with the soap on it.

It works for me, but it may not work for you. On a Rex I will do a 3, 4, 5 and after a couple of days back down to a 2, 3, 4. In all fairness I have spent very little time decreasing settings on each pass so don't know how well that might work for me.

For most of my razors I can loosen the top cap after shaving, blow the water out and let it dry until the late afternoon when I will tighten it up and get it ready for the next day.

I'm noticing with the 21 the blade doesn't dry by loosening the top cap. I'm thinking about disassembling it each day, but that takes a little extra time and I'm not sure the additional wear and tear on the threads and blade handling is worth it. OTOH I can easily see tea staining happening with some blades and I wouldn't like that either.

I was wondering how others care for their Sailors on a daily basis?

Top Bottom