What's new

2020 NFL Season

I saw highlights and he didn't seem that bad, but the Cowboys seem to find a way to lose.

I'm early in my days as a NFL viewer and I've been enjoying seeing the differences of the 3 QB's at the top of the draft come into the game.

Joe Burrow, comes across as a very sensible, well considered young man and that seems apparent when he's on the field. In contrast Tua is a rock star, has the confidence and persona of one, I can see the media switching between either loving or hating him according the day. Justin Herbert, seems to be quietly going about being a superb QB, but the Chargers can't quite cross the line.
I was pleasantly surprised to see Gilbert turn in the best day I've ever seen from him. I really thought that Texas had ruined him by throwing him into the Championship game against Alabama before he was ready. When he went to the pros, his performances only reinforced that opinion. Sunday was a remarkable turnaround for him. I hope that he only gets better.

It is amazing to me to see the youngsters come into the league and make their mark right away, Baker Mayfield, Joe Burrow, Tua have all made amazing progress. Baker has particularly rebranded the Browns and is making them the darling of the league with his television commercials.

Its been a weird and challenging NFL season, and I don't know when if ever we will get back to stadiums full of people. I sure hope its soon. I am envisioning a Super Bowl played before 20,000 people. Sad.

And BTW - I'm not implying that Belichick is not a great coach, he's a heck of a coach. All I'm saying is a good QB is more important that a good coach. Coaches get WAY too much credit in this sport fan's opinion. Now college, that's a different story....(see Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney - of course Dabo has the current best QB in the country right now, even if he does have Covid, and while I love Coach O at LSU - it's pretty obvious they had a great QB that led them to a championship last season) anyway I digress. Point is....having a good QB is the most important aspect of the game. Again, no disrespect to Belicheck but Elmer Fudd probably could have won Super Bowls with Tom Brady as his QB. (This is kind of what happened in last season in the NCAA with the aforementioned Coach O and Joe Burrows)
Yeah, Trent Dilfer was a great super bowl QB (153 passing yards).

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Yeah, Trent Dilfer was a great super bowl QB (153 passing yards).

Yeah, and he won the Super Bowl what, 20 years ago was it? And that Ray Lewis led Ravens team had a remarkably good defense. If you read my rambling posts, this makes my point exactly. The game now is much more pass oriented than it was 20-30 years ago.....

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Let's look at the last 10 Super Bowl winning QB's shall we? Going backwards from last season we've got:

Mahomes
Brady
Nick Foles
Brady
Manning (didn't have a great game, but this was one of those games where Von Miller and the Broncos defense wreaked havoc, which is about the only time that Defense has been the most important factor for winning a super bowl in the last 10 years - still can't deny that Manning is one of the best QB's to ever play)
Brady
Russel Wilson
Joe Flaco
Manning (the other one)
Rodgers
Brees

What stands out to you about these QB's? They are all really freaking good.....

In the last 14 Super Bowls, the MVP of the game was the winning QB 10/14 times.....

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
As I wrote above, it usually takes Belichick 6 or 7 weeks to figure out what he's got and how best to utilize the talent on a particular squad. He might be a week or 2 behind this year, but I liked what I saw tonight. From a 2 and 5 start to the playoffs? Might still be too soon to say but at least asking the question no longer seems absurd. I loved how the fiercest wind and rain of the night arrived just as Baltimore began their final drive. Foxboro truly is a magical place.

Yeah, and he won the Super Bowl what, 20 years ago was it? And that Ray Lewis led Ravens team had a remarkably good defense. If you read my rambling posts, this makes my point exactly. The game now is much more pass oriented than it was 20-30 years ago.....
That's because of rule changes to make it easier to pass that began in 1979 and have been added to over the years. Among longtime NFL fans pre-1979 is called the "dead ball era".

Owen Bawn

And BTW - I'm not implying that Belichick is not a great coach, he's a heck of a coach. All I'm saying is a good QB is more important that a good coach. Coaches get WAY too much credit in this sport fan's opinion. Now college, that's a different story....(see Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney - of course Dabo has the current best QB in the country right now, even if he does have Covid, and while I love Coach O at LSU - it's pretty obvious they had a great QB that led them to a championship last season) anyway I digress. Point is....having a good QB is the most important aspect of the game. Again, no disrespect to Belicheck but Elmer Fudd probably could have won Super Bowls with Tom Brady as his QB. (This is kind of what happened in last season in the NCAA with the aforementioned Coach O and Joe Burrows)
Dabo seems like a good guy. He's obviously an outstanding recruiter, but as a game coach he's lucky to have surrounded himself with such talent, as they have to bail him out at least 6 or 7 times a year for his often dreadful schemes and decisions.

Dabo seems like a good guy. He's obviously an outstanding recruiter, but as a game coach he's lucky to have surrounded himself with such talent, as they have to bail him out at least 6 or 7 times a year for his often dreadful schemes and decisions.
Lucky? A good manager hires the people he needs to help him. I think Debo has been skillful in doing just that and even more, he listens to them. I had a boss once that said no one person in this room is as smart as all of us. Sounds stupid, but it’s true. A good manager listens to his hires and knows when to admit he is wrong.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
He does have some outstanding assistants. Keeping his staff largely intact is I believe one of the primary reasons for his programs success.

Speaking of the issue with the importance of NFL QB's, what did you guys think of the Bronco's situation this past week?

He does have some outstanding assistants. Keeping his staff largely intact is I believe one of the primary reasons for his programs success.

Speaking of the issue with the importance of NFL QB's, what did you guys think of the Bronco's situation this past week?
I think if Drew Brees had been playin it could have been real ugly. I’m really surprised that the NFL let the game go on. I figured they would do what the NCAA is doing. If they don’t have enough players at key positions, the game gets postponed.

I think if Drew Brees had been playin it could have been real ugly. I’m really surprised that the NFL let the game go on. I figured they would do what the NCAA is doing. If they don’t have enough players at key positions, the game gets postponed.

There seemed to be a lot of outrage that the Ravens were able to postpone their match and Broncos had to play theirs, even if circumstances were different, however NFL seems very strict about enforcing Covid protocols and with the Broncos QB's not wearing masks in meetings maybe that's why they didn't show the Broncos much leniency?

Quite an interesting weekend in the NFL though, Lions lose Matt Patricia and Jags lose their GM.

I enjoyed watching the Chiefs Bucs game; the Chiefs pass rushers don't really look up to it, their defence seems to have some noticeable weaknesses but it's still a lot of fun to see Patrick Mahomes and his weapons pull them over the line.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy

Owen Bawn

@Owen Bawn

I've posted this essay from NYT sports writer Mike Tanier because it's both brilliant and a bit cheeky and since I know you're reading Gibbon and you're a Pats fan this just struck me as particularly something that MUST be shared with you sir....

Well written and accurate. Thanks.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Anybody watch the Saints Alvin Kamara make history on Christmas Day? Amazing.....

Last edited:
@dmshaver

And since I saw your comment on here Dave I figured I'd go ahead and share another one by the same writer that I'm sure you will enjoy....

Jonathan, thanks, I did enjoy that article. I especially liked this comment: "strive to turn their games into inscrutable performance art installations, allowing inferior opponents to stay close while they execute play concepts that appear to have been found scribbled in the margins of Hunter S. Thompson manuscripts."
They're a really good team with loads of talent. They still have to go out & execute., & that's what makes it so much fun to watch - how they execute!

Anybody watch the Saints Alvin Kamara make history on Christmas Day? Amazing.....

That was amazing!

The Redskins’ season ended one week after the Cowboys’ season. The NFC East one again fades into mediocrity.

I see where Captain Brady has taken the Bucs to the next round. Perhaps we shall see Rodgers vs Brady in the NFC Championship? I guess ill pull for Brady. I care not for the Bucs, but have a fervent dislike of the Packers.

Meanwhile, over in the AFC, the Bills have taken their first step towards another national embarrassment. Could they possibly get whooped five times in the Superbowl?

Meanwhile, Admiral Bilacheck is nowhere to be seen. Hmmm. Maybe it was Brady all along?

Top Bottom