What's new

2020 New models of electric shavers

Thank you, sir!

Now...let's not get ahead of ourselves here! The boys over in the SE razors groups may hear you! LOL!!

I'll post as soon as I give it a spin or two around the block...

Question..? Can I use this with lather? will it make any difference? Should I experiment with just water in the shower vs dry? soapy water? Whats the best way to put it through its paces?

Look forward to your results! I use (and like) Braun foils - a lot - but I also have several late-gen Arc 5 shavers, and they are excellent. Any can be used wet with lather, and in fact, for me, provide a more comfortable shave wet. The other advantage of the Pannys in your case is that they are probably the easiest to clean manually - just seperate foils and cutters, brush and reassemble. The Panasonic shavers are noted for their closeness (thin foils, 14,000 cpm), but also for their potential to deliver razor burn - for the same reasons. I'd recommend a light touch. And as with any foil, they're not noted for their ability to shave longer hairs - I'm not a head shaver, but they will likely perform better with a shorter cut to begin with, so wouldn't wait too long between shaves. With caveats noted, any of the Arc 5 shavers should perform well for shaving your head.

I bought the new Braun series 6 (6075c) for $120 from Amazon on 2/5 after having way too much irritation from cartridge razors.

3 weeks later and I love this thing. Closer shaves that I got with cartridges (especially the chin). Zero irritation when I use Williams Lectric before and Thayers Witch Hazel after. I've got a shave down to 5 minutes with pre/post included.

Only thing I don't love is switching the head to the sideburn trimmer and I find it really doesn't do a great job on the sideburns (not like a blade with a nice line)

Wish I had switched to electrics years ago!

Arc5 first impressions for head shaving:

Item arrived from Amazon Monday and has a rapid charge of only 1 hour, seems to auto shut off to avoid an overcharge (?) Two nice features out of the gate.

(all shaves post shower)

Day 1 shave: 40+hour growth, took 4min 50 sec per the timer on the display, pretty darn close, took a couple of "buffs" to get a few areas as I wasnt used to the "flow" of my new shaver. It did get my two trouble areas behind my ears near my neck without much difficulty though. this was a dry shave.

Days 2/3 were wet shaves, I applied some leftover wispy lather from my face shave to my scalp, on my now only 24h growth; two great shaves, both under 4 minutes now that I knew the flow better.

All shaves followed by a Tiger splash and Nivea post shave balm.

Zero irritation!

One difference I noticed compared with my razor shaves...regrowth seems quicker, but thats ok, because with this I think I can shave daily without irritation.

I am open to questions!!

I am sold on this device, Anyone want to buy my Andis foil?

Arc5 first impressions for head shaving:

Item arrived from Amazon Monday and has a rapid charge of only 1 hour, seems to auto shut off to avoid an overcharge (?) Two nice features out of the gate.

(all shaves post shower)

Day 1 shave: 40+hour growth, took 4min 50 sec per the timer on the display, pretty darn close, took a couple of "buffs" to get a few areas as I wasnt used to the "flow" of my new shaver. It did get my two trouble areas behind my ears near my neck without much difficulty though. this was a dry shave.

Days 2/3 were wet shaves, I applied some leftover wispy lather from my face shave to my scalp, on my now only 24h growth; two great shaves, both under 4 minutes now that I knew the flow better.

All shaves followed by a Tiger splash and Nivea post shave balm.

Zero irritation!

One difference I noticed compared with my razor shaves...regrowth seems quicker, but thats ok, because with this I think I can shave daily without irritation.

I am open to questions!!

I am sold on this device, Anyone want to buy my Andis foil?

Glad to hear your report. I think if you give it a couple of weeks your results will get even better.

You might want to try to shave your head before you shower which is what I do with my face every morning. I assume your scalp and your face are similar type of skin. I had a Panasonic ES8103 before my purchasing my Braun and I was extremely happy with it. Believe it or not, in five years of daily shaving I never replaced the screens nor the cutters. At the end of the five years the cutters began to get dull and the battery stopped holding a week’s charge. I would have replaced it with another Panasonic but found this Braun 7893s shaver at Costco last April for less than a $100 and bought it.

Last edited:
Glad to hear your report. I think if you give it a couple of weeks your results will get even better.

You might want to try to shave your head before you shower which is what I do with my face every morning. I assume your scalp and your face are similar type of skin. I had a Panasonic ES8103 before my purchasing my Braun and I was extremely happy with it. Believe it or not, in five years of daily shaving I never replaced the screens nor the cutters. At the end of the five years the cutters began to get dull and the battery stopped holding a week’s charge. I would have replaced it with another Panasonic but found this Braun 7893s shaver at Costco last April for less than a $100 and bought it.

I would try to shave Pre-shower, however, I am usually drenched w sweat from working out. Rather not micro-abrade my scalp w sweat lingering around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would try to shave Pre-shower, however, I am usually drenched w sweat from working out. Rather not micro-abrade my scalp w sweat lingering around.

I've not had much success with off the shelf pre shave products like afta or lectric shave, they don't seem to add to the experience for me. However I do always shave with Electrics pre-shower, sometimes this is after cutting the grass or a lot of sun exposure which causes sweat and grime, so if I feel the need I splash some plain 70% iso alcohol or plain witch hazel on my skin and let it dry then I'll shave. It's technically a pre-shave process but I do it more as a skin cleanser/prep then an actual shave 'enhancer' (for lack of a better term).

I've not had much success with off the shelf pre shave products like afta or lectric shave, they don't seem to add to the experience for me. However I do always shave with Electrics pre-shower, sometimes this is after cutting the grass or a lot of sun exposure which causes sweat and grime, so if I feel the need I splash some plain 70% iso alcohol or plain witch hazel on my skin and let it dry then I'll shave. It's technically a pre-shave process but I do it more as a skin cleanser/prep then an actual shave 'enhancer' (for lack of a better term).

Makes sense.

Long time user of Afta, 'Lectric Shave et al with other electrics, but found that Freelette gives me a great shave and works both as a pre- and post-shave on the road.

Long time user of Afta, 'Lectric Shave et al with other electrics, but found that Freelette gives me a great shave and works both as a pre- and post-shave on the road.
In the past I have used preshave powders to dry my face before shaving when I was in a hot and humid place like Florida. Since having central AC I have been using nothing.

3rd update after two months with the Braun Series 6.

It's going to be short: this thing is awesome. BBS results are definitely possible without any irritation when shaving wet (brush+soap or cream). But that BBS is not going to last as long as a traditional blade BBS... for me, it will last until around 3pm. Of course, the upside is that you can easily touch up dry in the afternoon in less than two minutes if that bothers you. Finally, if you're like me and you had limited experience with modern electrics - stick with it for a couple of weeks, minimum. Let your skin get used to it. I am going to continue using this for wet shaving on a regular basis.

Verdict:
buy one.

It's going to be short: this thing is awesome. BBS results are definitely possible without any irritation when shaving wet (brush+soap or cream). But that BBS is not going to last as long as a traditional blade BBS... for me, it will last until around 3pm. Of course, the upside is that you can easily touch up dry in the afternoon in less than two minutes if that bothers you. Finally, if you're like me and you had limited experience with modern electrics - stick with it for a couple of weeks, minimum. Let your skin get used to it. I am going to continue using this for wet shaving on a regular basis.

Verdict: buy one.

Nice to hear! I just took a temp job while I'm off of my 'real' job and I need to be clean shaven so I've been using my series 3 daily with great results. The 6 has been of interest to me.

I'd say Series 6 hits the sweet spot in terms of quality, size and price. They hit the jackpot with this one. Hopefully, they will ramp up the production when all this passes and will have replacement heads in 2021.

Verdict:
buy one.
if you use a new electric shaver you should always give it at least a couple of weeks before making a decision to keep it. Regardless if you shave dry or wet your beard and skin have to become accustomed to the new shaver.

Thanks for the positive review.

Top Bottom