What's new

2020 New models of electric shavers

Has anyone seen prices on the replacement cartridges? I didn't see them listed anywhere and am curious to see what they will go for. I looked again and I swear the new 5, 6, & 7 have the same foil/blade cartridge with the 7 just being silver instead of black. All of the additional motions found in the 6 & 7 are functions of the piece the cartridge attaches too and not the cartridge itself. I am a little suspicious of the assembly used for all of those motions as well... One good drop on a tile floor and that 6 & 7 are probably shot. I firmly believe that I could have slammed my old series 7 against the wall and it would be fine, the series 3 and 9 can handle normal drops without a problem (I know lol).

I checked also and could not find any info on replacement cartridges, hoping they are in the $30 to $40 range and not the $60 to $70 range like some of the Phillip Norelco's.

Hopefully less than the current Series 9 (less material), but couldn't guess other than ballpark. Since the new 7 cutters and foil seem to be based off the old one, my guess is the $40-$50 range. My main concern is not repeating the earlier Braun Series 9 debacle of having NO replacement heads available for over a year. Also no info on parts replacements, like the trimmer. I think the rotating assembly is a legitimate concern, and will give my impressions after I try it out. It does look more delicate, but nothing compares to the previous Series 7 which was built like a tank (other than the flimsy flapper trimmer and the head lock).
One reason I never replaced the cutters and screens on my Panasonic ES8103 shaver was the high cost of the parts. Even purchasing them on line together they were nearly $50 USD. I used the shaver for nearly 5 years with the original parts. Fortunately, the quality of the shaves remained excellent until the battery began to lose its ability to hold a week’s charge. Instead of replacing the parts I planned on buying a new one for about $65 USD. Instead I bought the Braun 7983s shaver at Costco for $100 USD and have been glad ever since.

I checked also and could not find any info on replacement cartridges, hoping they are in the $30 to $40 range and not the $60 to $70 range like some of the Phillip Norelco's.

By look they feature nothing different from the 32b/32s cartridges from the series 3 line, if so I would think they would only be $20-$30. If they completely redesigned how their shavers look and feel then also said "oh yea... The replacement heads are cheap and universal" that would be a big 'mic drop' moment for them and bring a lot of business their way. I'm still just sitting here bouncing back and forth between a 3 and the new 5 or 6, my 9 sold today so I've got the funds and the space... In the mean time my Philips oneblade is seeing some serious use.

By look they feature nothing different from the 32b/32s cartridges from the series 3 line, if so I would think they would only be $20-$30. If they completely redesigned how their shavers look and feel then also said "oh yea... The replacement heads are cheap and universal" that would be a big 'mic drop' moment for them and bring a lot of business their way. I'm still just sitting here bouncing back and forth between a 3 and the new 5 or 6, my 9 sold today so I've got the funds and the space... In the mean time my Philips oneblade is seeing some serious use.
My heritage prevents me from buying the top of the line anything. My father drove Buicks instead of a Cadillac back in the day when he was earning very good money. It’s difficult for me to buy a Braun Series 9 shaver regardless how much better it might shave my face rather than the 7 series. 😀

Lets hope so, and yes that would a great selling point. Looking at the pics online they all look the same other then the color on the 7, keeping fingers crossed.

I do agree and I've explored other options but Wahl and Remington both have their shortcomings and quality issues. I have a set of Wahl clippers that only cost me $20, are ten years old with the original blade set, and I swear my grandkids will be using them one day.

I had a Wahl beard trimmer when they were made in the US and it didn't seem to last any longer than the ones made in China.

The current plastic on their trimmer feels cheap but... it'll probably hold up fine for a $10 trimmer. The business end with the blades is plenty sharp, and that's what ultimately matters.

Yet both of them don't offer the same "bang for your buck" as Braun. Users report battery issues, premature foil wear, and overall dissatisfaction of shave far more frequently then Braun users.

The Remington F4800 and F5800 are getting pretty good reviews as a budget alternatives to the Braun Series 3 and Series 5 for those who don't have sensitive skin.

One reason I never replaced the cutters and screens on my Panasonic ES8103 shaver was the high cost of the parts. Even purchasing them on line together they were nearly $50 USD. I used the shaver for nearly 5 years with the original parts. Fortunately, the quality of the shaves remained excellent until the battery began to lose its ability to hold a week’s charge. Instead of replacing the parts I planned on buying a new one for about $65 USD. Instead I bought the Braun 7983s shaver at Costco for $100 USD and have been glad ever since.

That mirrors my experience with Panasonic as well. I was also unimpressed with my shaver's lifespan (it was the predecessor to the Arc 3, and had a linear motor). It stopped holding a good charge in only a few years. I think it was due to the relatively small lithium battery and the relatively fast motor. Also, you couldn't use it plugged in, so that shortened the lifespan a great deal.

Some of their lower-end shavers are a good value, but they are import-only in the US for the most part. Amazon nonetheless stocks a few of them because they are so popular.

That mirrors my experience with Panasonic as well. I was also unimpressed with my shaver's lifespan (it was the predecessor to the Arc 3, and had a linear motor). It stopped holding a good charge in only a few years. I think it was due to the relatively small lithium battery and the relatively fast motor. Also, you couldn't use it plugged in, so that shortened the lifespan a great deal.

Some of their lower-end shavers are a good value, but they are import-only in the US for the most part. Amazon nonetheless stocks a few of them because they are so popular.
I hadn’t thought about the small battery in the handle and the high speed linear motor reducing the battery life. I did get nearly five years of use for less than $100 total. I attribute the longevity and high price of the cutters and screens to them being made of stainless steel. Also, the screen didn’t require lubricant for the same reason.

I was just able to get onto Braun’s website. The problem was with my iPad Safari browser. Tried it with another browser and it loaded just fine.

It appears that the new seven series swiveling head is designed to be used with various attachments such as a beard trimmer, the sideburn/mustache trimmer and a brush to scrub your face. It appears that it’s only sold with the cleaning station. The series 8 appears to be the replacement for the current 7 series. The series 6 appears to look like the series 8 but for extra sensitive skin. They are still offering the current series 9. I didn’t have time to read all the details. I would not be interested in the new series seven shaver.

The attachments for the new Series 7 seem to be mirroring the Norelco trend for attachments to their 9000 Series - brush and beard trimmer. The fact is the attachments are nowhere near as robust or useable as a real beard trimmer or face brush in the Norelcos, to the point of being just a sales gimmick - it will be interesting to see what Braun has developed. The detachable sideburn trimmer in the Norelco on the other hand actually does work, and I like it compared to an attached trimmer in the current Brauns, so I'm all in favor of a detachable trimmer, provided it's appropriately priced for replacement - and available.

The attachments for the new Series 7 seem to be mirroring the Norelco trend for attachments to their 9000 Series - brush and beard trimmer. The fact is the attachments are nowhere near as robust or useable as a real beard trimmer or face brush in the Norelcos, to the point of being just a sales gimmick - it will be interesting to see what Braun has developed. The detachable sideburn trimmer in the Norelco on the other hand actually does work, and I like it compared to an attached trimmer in the current Brauns, so I'm all in favor of a detachable trimmer - provided it's appropriately priced for replacement - and available.
I spent a little more time reading Braun’s website after posting about the new shavers. The series 5 has a quick clean system by activating a door to use running water through the head to clean it out without removing it. I think all of the new shavers can use the several extra cost attachments none of which I have any interest in buying.

The ultra articulating head is also a feature that seems useless. I have no problem in the past 40 something years using screen type shavers keeping the cutter/screen cassette at a 90 degree angle to every part of my face while maintaining a good grip on the shaver. Addionally, my 7 series has a well built solid feel with good balance. It appears that to get the level of articulation in the new shavers’ head will result in a structural weakness at the juncture of the head and the handle. I’m glad that my shaver is fairy new and I won’t have to replace it for several years. Luckily, the series 9 hasn’t changed and hopefully Braun will come too their senses and bring back more shavers like the former series 7 shavers. Obviously, the protective plastic cap and brush have gone the way of buggy whips and Braun will pad their profits with accessories that seem silly. One can still buy a series 3 shaver which is shaped like a traditional Braun shaver without the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
I spent a little more time reading Braun’s website after posting about the new shavers. The series 5 has a quick clean system by activating a door to use running water through the head to clean it out without removing it. I think all of the new shavers can use the several extra cost attachments none of which I have any interest in buying.

The ultra articulating head is also a feature that seems useless. I have no problem in the past 40 something years using screen type shavers keeping the cutter/screen cassette at a 90 degree angle to every part of my face while maintaining a good grip on the shaver. Addionally, my 7 series has a well built solid feel with good balance. It appears that to get the level of articulation in the new shavers’ head will result in a structural weakness at the juncture of the head and the handle. I’m glad that my shaver is fairy new and I won’t have to replace it for several years. Luckily, the series 9 hasn’t changed and hopefully Braun will come too their senses and bring back more shavers like the former series 7 shavers. Obviously, the protective plastic cap and brush have gone the way of buggy whips and Braun will pad their profits with accessories that seem silly. One can still buy a series 3 shaver which is shaped like a traditional Braun shaver without the bells and whistles.

Everything you mentioned, combined with my fear of unforseen issues (not only new models but radically new design for them), is leading me back to the series 3. I can get a 3050cc with base for $64 through Amazon right now plus I already have a $17 credit on my account I can put towards it. The 3 will last me a couple years (or more) and allow these new designs to 'prove' themselves. Should be here in a few days. @FireDragon76 has been posting about vintage simplistic shavers and that also played into me wanting a more stripped down model.

Last edited:
Everything you mentioned, combined with my fear of unforseen issues (not only new models but radically new design for them), is leading me back to the series 3. I can get a 3050cc with base for $64 through Amazon right now plus I already have a $17 credit on my account I can put towards it. The 3 will last me a couple years (or more) and allow these new designs to 'prove' themselves. Should be here in a few days. @FireDragon76 has been posting about vintage simplistic shavers and that also played into me wanting a more stripped down model.
I will be very interested how you like the 3050cc shaver compared to you previous one. My only concern with the series 3 would be that the speed of the motor may not be the same as the 7 series motor which might result in a longer time to shave.

Last edited:
I will be very interested how you like the 3050cc shaver compared to you previous one. My only concern with the series 3 would be that the speed of the motor may not be the same as the 7 series motor which might result in a longer time to shave.

I'm already really familiar with the 3050cc. At the time I got one after coming off blade shaving and dismissed it as not close enough of a shave and for causing irritation in chasing it. Well since then my experience with foils, perception of what makes a 'close enough' shave, and skin's ability to handle foil shavers have all changed.

If you get one I'd be curious to hear your impressions, especially as you have a thicker beard.

If you get one I'd be curious to hear your impressions, especially as you have a thicker beard.

It will be here Saturday so I'll post up. I've used one in the past but I was just coming off blade shaving so my technique and skin weren't ready yet and I dismissed it as the shaver. My skin has adapted to Electrics as has my technique so I have high hopes. As I slowly climbed the "Braun product ladder" I just found you pay for more and more features that I don't need nor really like. I almost got the new series 6 but decided to go with the 3 because its been around, I've used it, and it was on a serious sale. I have had great success with Braun but I just want a little more time in the field on these new models before I drop a whole bill on one. The series 9 was released far too early and had to be pulled back and redesigned... Customers literally spent almost $400 on a pre-order only to have the foil fail and fall apart within weeks. The first run of the series 7 would lose paint from their cleaning solution, travel lock would break, and the cleabing base had an induction fan that not only was inconsistent but heat + electric + alcohol fumes + plastice don't really mix well... All of those things were fixed with re-releases. Im just waiting to see what the issue is with these new ones, when it's found and fixed I'll buy one. If a year goes by and there are no issues then I'll buy one and toss the 3 in my car or weekend bag.

It will be here Saturday so I'll post up. I've used one in the past but I was just coming off blade shaving so my technique and skin weren't ready yet and I dismissed it as the shaver. My skin has adapted to Electrics as has my technique so I have high hopes. As I slowly climbed the "Braun product ladder" I just found you pay for more and more features that I don't need nor really like. I almost got the new series 6 but decided to go with the 3 because its been around, I've used it, and it was on a serious sale. I have had great success with Braun but I just want a little more time in the field on these new models before I drop a whole bill on one. The series 9 was released far too early and had to be pulled back and redesigned... Customers literally spent almost $400 on a pre-order only to have the foil fail and fall apart within weeks. The first run of the series 7 would lose paint from their cleaning solution, travel lock would break, and the cleabing base had an induction fan that not only was inconsistent but heat + electric + alcohol fumes + plastice don't really mix well... All of those things were fixed with re-releases. Im just waiting to see what the issue is with these new ones, when it's found and fixed I'll buy one. If a year goes by and there are no issues then I'll buy one and toss the 3 in my car or weekend bag.
I hate to buy anything when it first comes out. I don’t like being a first adopter because I’m cheap and it takes awhile for new products to be discounted and I want to give the manufacturer an opportunity to work out the bugs. And there will be bugs because new manufacturing process require time to find and fix the bugs. Of course that assumes that they didn’t try to go into production with known issues. Boeing is discovering the affects of trying to recover from the affects of rushing the 737 Max into production.

As an added bonus, should have my first shave with the 7071 this weekend. Will round back with results.

I hate to buy anything when it first comes out. I don’t like being a first adopter because I’m cheap and it takes awhile for new products to be discounted and I want to give the manufacturer an opportunity to work out the bugs. And there will be bugs because new manufacturing process require time to find and fix the bugs. Of course that assumes that they didn’t try to go into production with known issues. Boeing is discovering the affects of trying to recover from the affects of rushing the 737 Max into production.

Absolutely, well said.

As an added bonus, should have my first shave with the 7071 this weekend. Will round back with results.

Awesome, I look forward to hearing!

On a side note... I'm super proud of the recently growing love for Electrics around here. DEs and Straights are cool but we all have different needs and situations and for some of us an electric is the answer. I know a large majority of members here will scoff at us but in the end... Electric users are people too!

Absolutely, well said.

Awesome, I look forward to hearing!

On a side note... I'm super proud of the recently growing love for Electrics around here. DEs and Straights are cool but we all have different needs and situations and for some of us an electric is the answer. I know a large majority of members here will scoff at us but in the end... Electric users are people too!
I will be looking forward to your review. Obviously, we who shave with electric shavers have been a neglected group on the web and discovered a place here to discuss our shaving experiences.

Top Bottom