What's new

2020 New models of electric shavers

Braun is going to introduce new models on January 21st and there’s a new model from Phillips Norelco. Anyone interested in upgrading? Anyone who upgraded to a new shaver, is the new model an improvement? I suspect more new models will appear as we get closer to Father’s Day.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've never upgraded an electric. When it died, I'd go get another. I'd say on average it probably takes 5 to 10 years for improvements that really make a difference in the shave to appear. Marketing of course has something to say EVERY year, but the engineers progress at a much slower rate.

Should be interesting - the only new models I've seen advertised are the new Series 7s. They have a 360 degree flexible head, which actually Panasonic has had for some time, and from my personal use I can say it didn't make a significant difference in quality of shave (from the flexibility standpoint) over earlier Panny models. The new 7 Series also seems to use detachable trimmers, which many have criticized in Norelco shavers for years (I personally like them, because if the trimmer breaks or dulls I only need to lay out $15 for a new one, as opposed to buying a new razor). Seems to review well on Amazon, but limited number of reviews right now, and not very detailed, and experience of reviewers unknown. My guess is not a significant advantage over current models, but it is cheaper.

*Addendum - tell you in a week or two!

Last edited:
Only new Philips model(s) I'm award of are the 9000 Prestige Series, out for just a few months so likely not a new one forthcoming. Philips tends to keep almost every model they've ever made in their lineup (in some form), similar to Panasonic.

It's all about $pending moooore..... milking the cow....till they get powdered milk
Obviously, the new models are more expensive but they soon begin to be discounted by online retailers. If there’s a significant improvement to the cutting system it may be worth upgrading. All of the higher end shavers have rechargeable NiCad batteries that have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles. Eventually, the battery will no longer hold a full charge and it’s probably time to get a new shaver. The manufactures have designed the shavers to be waterproof which prohibits them from being used while plugging into your house current.

Should be interesting - the only new models I've seen advertised are the new Series 7s. They have a 360 degree flexible head, which actually Panasonic has had for some time, and from my personal use I can say it didn't make a significant difference in quality of shave (from the flexibility standpoint) over earlier Panny models. The new 7 Series also seems to use detachable trimmers, which many have criticized in Norelco shavers for years (I personally like them, because if the trimmer breaks or dulls I only need to lay out $15 for a new one, as opposed to buying a new razor). Seems to review well on Amazon, but limited number of reviews right now, and not very detailed, and experience of reviewers unknown. My guess is not a significant advantage over current models, but it is cheaper.

*Addendum - tell you in a week or two!

In Europe, it wasn't uncommon for Philips shavers to not have trimmers at all. I think it was a luxurious "tech" feature sold to Americans, for the most part. Having looked at the guts of these things a great deal, I'm not impressed by their designs- they rob power from the shaver.

Most shavers' trimmers are inferior to owning a dedicated trimmer. I keep a Wahl beard trimmer around and don't even mess with the trimmer on the shavers for the most part.

Obviously, the new models are more expensive but they soon begin to be discounted by online retailers. If there’s a significant improvement to the cutting system it may be worth upgrading. All of the higher end shavers have rechargeable NiCad batteries that have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles. Eventually, the battery will no longer hold a full charge and it’s probably time to get a new shaver. The manufactures have designed the shavers to be waterproof which prohibits them from being used while plugging into your house current.

They don't use Ni-Cads at all anymore except in very low end products. Ni-Cads are illegal to use in Europe, as cadmium is toxic. Lithium batteries, on the other hand, should last thousands of recharge and discharge cycles, but they do lose a certain amount of capacity permanently every day.

There are ways to replace batteries on a waterproof device. I have an electric facial brush that has a waterproof battery compartment. I suspect, though, that people that want battery shavers buy travel shavers, generally.

In Europe, it wasn't uncommon for Philips shavers to not have trimmers at all. I think it was a luxurious "tech" feature sold to Americans, for the most part. Having looked at the guts of these things a great deal, I'm not impressed by their designs- they rob power from the shaver.

Most shavers' trimmers are inferior to owning a dedicated trimmer. I keep a Wahl beard trimmer around and don't even mess with the trimmer on the shavers for the most part.

They don't use Ni-Cads at all anymore except in very low end products. Ni-Cads are illegal to use in Europe, as cadmium is toxic. Lithium batteries, on the other hand, should last thousands of recharge and discharge cycles, but they do lose a certain amount of capacity permanently every day.

There are ways to replace batteries on a waterproof device. I have an electric facial brush that has a waterproof battery compartment. I suspect, though, that people that want battery shavers buy travel shavers, generally.
You are correct that NiCad batteries have been replaced by Lithium Ion batteries and trimmers became an added feature on Braun shavers in 1957. Phillips Norelco shavers didn’t offer trimmers until much later probably because it eas more difficult to convert the rotary motion of the motor to drive a reciprocating trimmer. Obviously, a stand alone trimmer is better and sturdier than the one attached to my Braun 7 series shaver. However, I don’t use it mire than once or twice a week to trim my mustache.

I’m sure that a waterproof shaver’s batteries can be replaced. However, I wouldn’t trust using it in water once the seal has been broken. All of the high end shavers from Braun, Phillips Norelco, Panasonic and Remington are waterproof using Lithium Ion batteries. Only small travel shavers have user replaceable AA size batteries. I have traveled all over the world with my shavers and never needed a dedicated small travel version.

Regardless of the life of the battery, after a few years I may want to just replace the shaver to upgrade to a newer model. My Panasonic ES8103 lasted five years when the batteries wouldn’t hold a charge and the cutters began to lose their sharpness. The cost of just replacing the cutters and screens was nearly as expensive as buying a new shaver. If I get five years use from my Braun shaver I will be happy and probably be ready to look for that new feature that may or may not give me a better shave. Already, the new versions of my series seven shaver will run an additional 10 minutes before requiring a charge. That slight increase in battery capacity nor the 360 degree swiveling head won’t get me to the store to buy a replacement.

I like them (the new Braun's) and I'm curious to try one. As I mentioned in other threads, I'm actually trying to downgrade from my series 9 because the head is way too big, it doesn't have any tactile grip, the cleaning base (which I do use and like) is huge and the stupid fan runs for 45 mins to 'dry' it (even though it leaves the head wet). I have had a few series 3, a series 7, and 2 series 9, as well as a few models from other companies. I have been looking at the series 3 again due to its low cost of maintenance, very small cleaning station footprint, and low purchase price. The series 5 has many features of the series 9 I don't like and I can't justify paying almost $200 again for a series 7 when it's now one of the oldest models Braun offers. I do wish the series 3 had liion batteries though... And enter the new 5 and 6 models. Small heads, small in the hand, cleaning base with small footprint. My concern though is that they are too new... The Braun series 9 was pulled back and rereleased after they fixed some unforseen issues

Ready for a swap from the Series 9 for the same reasons. It's a good shaver, but the size and flexibility of the head really are limiting factors for me. My main concerns are the build quality and design of the Series 7 - I'm not sure it really needs 360 degree flexibility, and I'm not sure how much quality you can build in for something like half the price of other top tier shavers, but I'm also not sure it's a downgrade. We shall see.

Ready for a swap from the Series 9 for the same reasons. It's a good shaver, but the size and flexibility of the head really are limiting factors for me. My main concerns are the build quality and design of the Series 7 - I'm not sure it really needs 360 degree flexibility, and I'm not sure how much quality you can build in for something like half the price of other top tier shavers, but I'm also not sure it's a downgrade. We shall see.
Obviously, someone thought that having a 360 degree swiveling head on the new series 7 shavers was a good idea. My current 7 series has a locking device that allows the head to rotate to a different vertical angle to make it easier to shave under your nose. The locking mechanism has been an issue on series 7 shavers broking and being replaced under the warranty. I have never found a need to change the angle of the head which might cause the mechanism to fail therefore I don’t change the angle.

There’s only so much that they can do with the basic design of a screen type shaver and still have it function as a shaver. Quite frankly the original screen shaver designs from Braun, such as the 1963 SM5 shaved very well and lasted for a very long time because they were AC powered and the cutters and screens could be easily and reasonably be replaced. Sometimes progress doesn’t make things better. 😆 Actually, the Braun series 1 appears to be a modern design of the 1963 shaver and it’s priced $40 at Amazon.

Last edited:

I completely agree on the 360 flexibility, that's why I'm looking at the new series 5 (or maybe 6). Also, the new cutting heads look very similar on the new 5, 6, and 7s.. I'm not sure you are really getting anything besides a stronger motor (possibly) and more head flexibility as you go from the new 5 to 6 to 7.

I completely agree on the 360 flexibility, that's why I'm looking at the new series 5 (or maybe 6). Also, the new cutting heads look very similar on the new 5, 6, and 7s.. I'm not sure you are really getting anything besides a stronger motor (possibly) and more head flexibility as you go from the new 5 to 6 to 7.

All that makes Wahl or Remington look alot more attractive. Ever since P&G got hold of Braun they've just been looking to milk "German engineering" for all its worth.

All that makes Wahl or Remington look alot more attractive. Ever since P&G got hold of Braun they've just been looking to milk "German engineering" for all its worth.

I do agree and I've explored other options but Wahl and Remington both have their shortcomings and quality issues. I have a set of Wahl clippers that only cost me $20, are ten years old with the original blade set, and I swear my grandkids will be using them one day. I've got a beard'n'ball trimmer made by Remington that has such a strong motor that I can go from afro to buzz cut (literal example) like butter. Yet both of them don't offer the same "bang for your buck" as Braun. Users report battery issues, premature foil wear, and overall dissatisfaction of shave far more frequently then Braun users. Most braun user's complaints are about some stupid little plastic piece breaking, like a pivot or travel lock, or the cost of cleaning solution yet usually include a statement along the lines of, "it's a shame as this is the best Electric I've used" or something to that effect.

Plus Wahl and Remington don't offer a cleaning base. I LOVE this feature with Braun. I'm not knocking anyone who doesn't use them, like @Flyboybob for example, because there is something beautiful about having your shaver and nothing else. But I live in a humid tropical climate, have poor air circulation in my bathroom, and flat out am too lazy to manually clean and lubricate the shaver head. I don't care how 'easy' it is, you'll never convince me lol. I love picking up a shaver that feels like new Everytime. These cleaning stations really help not only my foil/blade longevity but also my OCD and my blemish prone skin seems to respond better to the foils when they are cleaned like this.

I can’t speak to Whal but my experience with Remington was a disaster and their product is not made in the U.S. I don’t think P&G are looking to milk, “German Engineering”. That’s because its been a myth since the 1950s the during the era of the VW beetle’s longevity.

Braun shavers are not manufactured in a chalet by craftsman wearing lederhosen but are manufactured in a big automated factory. The technology of the foils and cutters goes back to the 1950s after the untimely death of founder Max Braun. The basic design of the foil was changed in 1962 with the Sixtant SM 31 shaver. “The foil atop each previous model had been manufactured by perforation, that is to say, punching holes into a solid sheet. But here Braun's engineers used electrotyping, a production method whereby the foil is created chemically, into a predetermined shape. For the first time the apertures in the foil didn't need to be shaped like the tool designed to pierce it, but could be made whatever shape one could imagine. And what Muller and Gugelot imagined were little hexagons, thus giving the model its name”.

That may have been the last time that German engineering had anything to do with the design other than adding multiple foils and cutters. In 2001 they introduced the first cleaning station which could be considered an engineering innovation. I think that shavers made in Japan are just as good and maybe offer more features then Braun as well as those made in the Netherlands.

I do agree and I've explored other options but Wahl and Remington both have their shortcomings and quality issues. I have a set of Wahl clippers that only cost me $20, are ten years old with the original blade set, and I swear my grandkids will be using them one day. I've got a beard'n'ball trimmer made by Remington that has such a strong motor that I can go from afro to buzz cut (literal example) like butter. Yet both of them don't offer the same "bang for your buck" as Braun. Users report battery issues, premature foil wear, and overall dissatisfaction of shave far more frequently then Braun users. Most braun user's complaints are about some stupid little plastic piece breaking, like a pivot or travel lock, or the cost of cleaning solution yet usually include a statement along the lines of, "it's a shame as this is the best Electric I've used" or something to that effect.

Plus Wahl and Remington don't offer a cleaning base. I LOVE this feature with Braun. I'm not knocking anyone who doesn't use them, like @Flyboybob for example, because there is something beautiful about having your shaver and nothing else. But I live in a humid tropical climate, have poor air circulation in my bathroom, and flat out am too lazy to manually clean and lubricate the shaver head. I don't care how 'easy' it is, you'll never convince me lol. I love picking up a shaver that feels like new Everytime. These cleaning stations really help not only my foil/blade longevity but also my OCD and my blemish prone skin seems to respond better to the foils when they are cleaned like this.

Have always been a fan of Braun's cleaning stations.

Has anyone seen prices on the replacement cartridges? I didn't see them listed anywhere and am curious to see what they will go for. I looked again and I swear the new 5, 6, & 7 have the same foil/blade cartridge with the 7 just being silver instead of black. All of the additional motions found in the 6 & 7 are functions of the piece the cartridge attaches too and not the cartridge itself. I am a little suspicious of the assembly used for all of those motions as well... One good drop on a tile floor and that 6 & 7 are probably shot. I firmly believe that I could have slammed my old series 7 against the wall and it would be fine, the series 3 and 9 can handle normal drops without a problem (I know lol).

Hopefully less than the current Series 9 (less material), but couldn't guess other than ballpark. Since the new 7 cutters and foil seem to be based off the old one, my guess is the $40-$50 range. My main concern is not repeating the earlier Braun Series 9 debacle of having NO replacement heads available for over a year. Also no info on parts replacements, like the trimmer. I think the rotating assembly is a legitimate concern, and will give my impressions after I try it out. It does look more delicate, but nothing compares to the previous Series 7 which was built like a tank (other than the flimsy flapper trimmer and the head lock).

Also agree with the 360 flexibility, this is why I went with the New Series 6 as it has the same flex as the old Series 7. The new Series 5 does not flex at all.

Top Bottom