What's new

2020 New models of electric shavers

The new models are available in different colors and interestingly only the series 9 and 8 shavers on their site expressly state they are made in Germany. The lower models state they are designed in Germany.

On the back of my Series 6 it says Made in Germany, so I would think that the 7 is made there also?

Wow! That’s a great price. That’s what I paid for my 7983s at Costco last April. Is the one you are getting include the cleaning station. Let us know how you like it.

Yes it includes the cleaning station, it is the same one the @Scaramouche just got the Series 7 7071.

I thought it was a great price thats why I jump on it and thanks to @Scaramouche for pushing me over the edge LOL.

Yes it includes the cleaning station, it is the same one the @Scaramouche just got the Series 7 7071.

I thought it was a great price thats why I jump on it and thanks to @Scaramouche for pushing me over the edge LOL.

Made in Germany on mine as well. That was a great price - always glad to help someone else spend their money :biggrin1: The new lineup do seem to be great shavers, and I'm not easily impressed. I have the newest Norelco Prestige, and the (relatively) newest Pannys, and they both simply improved marginally on previous designs - and the new Norelco, to me, isn't even as comfortable as previous models. The new Brauns step out with brand new engineering and design, a risk, but my first impression is they will have a set of winners. Hopefully replacement parts and accessories are soon available, and appropriately priced to attract others on the fence.

Made in Germany on mine as well. That was a great price - always glad to help someone else spend their money :biggrin1: The new lineup do seem to be great shavers, and I'm not easily impressed. I have the newest Norelco Prestige, and the (relatively) newest Pannys, and they both simply improved marginally on previous designs - and the new Norelco, to me, isn't even as comfortable as previous models. The new Brauns step out with brand new engineering and design, a risk, but my first impression is they will have a set of winners. Hopefully replacement parts and accessories are soon available, and appropriately priced to attract others on the fence.

I wonder if the 1st run of the new Series are being made in Germany to make sure the process is up to snuff and will later move production overseas hence the "Engineered in Germany" on the box and website, kinda a CYA.

Your bathroom must look like mine haha, I to have a 9000 Prestige and a fairly new Panasonic and your words mimic mine.

I noticed on my box for the Series 6 also says Engineered in Germany, so like you I thought it was made else where.
If the back of the shaver says “Made in Germany” I would go with that regardless what the box says. It may be that all series 6 shavers are engineered in Germany so they can use the same box for those made elsewhere as well as those actually made in Germany. I’m not convinced that the quality would be any different regardless where the shaver is manufactured.

I think there’s a myth about German Engineering and craftsmanship. The success of the Volkswagen Beetle in the 1950s started that myth which was true back then. Are all Phillips Norelco shavers made in the Netherlands? I’m sure they are manufactured globally just like Braun. The global economy in the last 30 years has negated some of those national ideas about quality. The poor quality of British cars killed their automobile industry. Today British brands are really European or Japaese cars. After WWII we taught the Japanese about quality by putting Dr. Deming in charge of rebuilding their industry and thirty years later they beat the big three US auto companies with high quality Toyotas, Datsuns and Hondas. 🤔

If the back of the shaver says “Made in Germany” I would go with that regardless what the box says. It may be that all series 6 shavers are engineered in Germany so they can use the same box for those made elsewhere as well as those actually made in Germany. I’m not convinced that the quality would be any different regardless where the shaver is manufactured.

I think there’s a myth about German Engineering and craftsmanship. The success of the Volkswagen Beetle in the 1950s started that myth which was true back then. Are all Phillips Norelco shavers made in the Netherlands? I’m sure they are manufactured globally just like Braun. The global economy in the last 30 years has negated some of those national ideas about quality. The poor quality of British cars killed their automobile industry. Today British brands are really European or Japaese cars. After WWII we taught the Japanese about quality by putting Dr. Deming in charge of rebuilding their industry and thirty years later they beat the big three US auto companies with high quality Toyotas, Datsuns and Hondas. 🤔

I bought a Ford Fiesta hatchback brand new for only $13k because it says Mazda 2 lol

Really cool read attached below that I pulled from Braun's website, 34 page PDF that is their entire company and shaver history with pics and info from their personal archive. Pour a cup and enjoy!

Attachments

• Braun-history.pdf
    9.7 MB · Views: 12
Really cool read attached below that I pulled from Braun's website, 34 page PDF that is their entire company and shaver history with pics and info from their personal archive. Pour a cup and enjoy!
Thanks, very interesting reading. Here’s a good history of their shavers:

I see there are a few cheaper on the bay, all say NO returns and all have few sells.....
I would rather deal w amazon.....just in case there is something wrong. Still not sure these gadgets are for me... , dense, coarse and delicate skin..... failed all 3 major brands past 20yrs.

I see there are a few cheaper on the bay, all say NO returns and all have few sells.....
I would rather deal w amazon.....just in case there is something wrong. Still not sure these gadgets are for me... , dense, coarse and delicate skin..... failed all 3 major brands past 20yrs.
There have been a lot of improvements in all shavers in the past 20 years and it may be a good time to give electric shaving a try.

I have never bought anything off of EBay which may be risky. If you don’t feel comfortable wait until Macsta receives his shaver to see the condition that his arrived. Obviously if you buy from Amazon you can return it to them within 30 days no questions asked. Also P&G offer a 30 day money back return policy.

I could be like all the DE guys when talking about Electrics and say "well obviously it will work for you because it worked for me and if it doesn't work for you it means you are doing something wrong because this is the ONLY way to get a close, comfortable, irritation free shave!" But I won't because I don't believe that and we over here on the "dark side" of shaving are a bit more open minded then most of the folks on the other side. In all honesty... I wish I could use a DE. I'm envious of the rotations of cool razors and blades and people who have (or make) 30+ mins to shave. I just grew really tired of being more excited before my shaves then after and spending so much time and money to always have irritation. My best blade shaves ever are on par with some of my worst Electric shaves in terms of irritation and comfort, even after a few years of working on technique. This is something many DE guys can relate to as many of them came off Electrics and onto DE for the exact reason I did the opposite, and that's cool too!

In the end it just great that we have a place where we can all share what works for us. I came here a few years ago as a lifetime cartridge and disposable guy who got into Traditional shaving and ironically tried and continued using Electrics over blades as a result of my time here. I jab at the DE guys, just as they do us, for fun. We all wish we could get those great results with a blade while all the DE guys secretly wish they could get near bbs every day in 5 mins or less totally dry haha.

And I have to say...vintage shavers are starting to catch my eye. I'm literally repeating the entire process over with Electrics (buying and trying every model I can, rotating devices, now eyeing vintage, etc). The cool part is whenever I mentioned "old gross used razors" (as she calls them) she... Well, made the above comment. HOWEVER, when I discuss or show pics of vintage Electrics it's always met with, "wow, that's cool!"

I could be like all the DE guys when talking about Electrics and say "well obviously it will work for you because it worked for me and if it doesn't work for you it means you are doing something wrong because this is the ONLY way to get a close, comfortable, irritation free shave!" But I won't because I don't believe that and we over here on the "dark side" of shaving are a bit more open minded then most of the folks on the other side. In all honesty... I wish I could use a DE. I'm envious of the rotations of cool razors and blades and people who have (or make) 30+ mins to shave. I just grew really tired of being more excited before my shaves then after and spending so much time and money to always have irritation. My best blade shaves ever are on par with some of my worst Electric shaves in terms of irritation and comfort, even after a few years of working on technique. This is something many DE guys can relate to as many of them came off Electrics and onto DE for the exact reason I did the opposite, and that's cool too!

In the end it just great that we have a place where we can all share what works for us. I came here a few years ago as a lifetime cartridge and disposable guy who got into Traditional shaving and ironically tried and continued using Electrics over blades as a result of my time here. I jab at the DE guys, just as they do us, for fun. We all wish we could get those great results with a blade while all the DE guys secretly wish they could get near bbs every day in 5 mins or less totally dry haha.

And I have to say...vintage shavers are starting to catch my eye. I'm literally repeating the entire process over with Electrics (buying and trying every model I can, rotating devices, now eyeing vintage, etc). The cool part is whenever I mentioned "old gross used razors" (as she calls them) she... Well, made the above comment. HOWEVER, when I discuss or show pics of vintage Electrics it's always met with, "wow, that's cool!"

I can relate! Cost is often mentioned as a factor with electrics, but frankly I've spent a lot more over the years on DE razors than I ever spent on electrics (and I have a lot of both). If you look at the closet of many blade shavers (including mine), you'll find a line of $100-200 - or more - razors of all stripes (if you haven't checked out the price of new artisan DE, SE and straight razors, or even vintage, you may be shocked), along with stacks of artisan soaps, creams and lotions (guilty). Some even more. No statistics, but I suspect that electric users spend on average less than their DE counterparts, and it's less a "hobby" than daily necessity, and generally a "rotation" of electric shavers is not a "thing" or even necessary - I would guess most users have one or two - with exceptions (guilty). And then there are transitional guys (and maybe gals) that still use both, shave wet, and use all the "accoutrements" of wet DE shaving (guilty). And cartridge users, sort of between traditional blade and electric. The line, as they say, is blurred.

I can relate! Cost is often mentioned as a factor with electrics, but frankly I've spent a lot more over the years on DE razors than I ever spent on electrics (and I have a lot of both). If you look at the closet of many blade shavers (including mine), you'll find a line of $100-200 - or more - razors of all stripes (if you haven't checked out the price of new artisan DE, SE and straight razors, or even vintage, you may be shocked), along with stacks of artisan soaps, creams and lotions (guilty). Some even more. No statistics, but I suspect that electric users spend on average less than their DE counterparts, and it's less a "hobby" than daily necessity, and generally a "rotation" of electric shavers is not a "thing" or even necessary - I would guess most users have one or two - with exceptions (guilty). And then there are transitional guys (and maybe gals) that still use both, shave wet, and use all the "accoutrements" of wet DE shaving (guilty). And cartridge users, sort of between traditional blade and electric. The line, as they say, is blurred.

Very guilty as well. I spent over a thousand dollars over 5 or 6 years on traditional wet shaving (no exaggeration)... To still have ingrowns, bumps, patchy shaves, and waste 30 mins of time and water.

It's funny how many DE purists will say $100+ for a finely tuned precision machine (compound machine) is ridiculous yet will happily drop $100+ on a tiny piece of metal (simple machine) when the $0.10 blade they pop in it does 90% of the work (and they then try to squeeze 50 shaves out of that same blade because God forbid we spend $0.20 instead of $0.10)

Random side observation I've never noticed before:

When I get a new shaver I always charge it for it's suggested minimum first (usually 4 hours) to boost the new battery and help set it's full capable charge life. Then I run it through the cleaning station because factory manufacturing environments can leave micro particles of dust and debris so I like to start fresh.

When my new series 3 finished it's cleaning cycle and is now sitting 'drying' and charging (it's stasis mode essentially), I can here a VERY quiet tingling or buzzing sound... I don't know if it's the notification lights or if I'm just used to LIon batteries and not aware that Nimh batteries make noise when charging. This model doesn't have a fan so it's not that. Its super quiet... I only noticed it because I happened to have a rare moment of silence in my home.

When I get a new shaver I always charge it for it's suggested minimum first (usually 4 hours) to boost the new battery and help set it's full capable charge life. Then I run it through the cleaning station because factory manufacturing environments can leave micro particles of dust and debris so I like to start fresh.

When my new series 3 finished it's cleaning cycle and is now sitting 'drying' and charging (it's stasis mode essentially), I can here a VERY quiet tingling or buzzing sound... I don't know if it's the notification lights or if I'm just used to LIon batteries and not aware that Nimh batteries make noise when charging. This model doesn't have a fan so it's not that. Its super quiet... I only noticed it because I happened to have a rare moment of silence in my home.

Hmmm...just put an ear to mine after running a cycle (now charging) and hear nothing - but I've lost most of my hearing over 6,000 Hz, so there's that. You did prompt me to read the manual though :001_smile since I was wondering how it notifies you of low cleaning solution, and apparently the Start button glows yellow, then red sequentially as the solution gets lower (no other buttons or icons I could find). And the same station (5434) apparently works for all Series 5, 6 and 7 shavers. Hard to tell, since literally all the instructions are diagrams.

Shaving is a choice each of us makes daily. Obviously, we could just grow out our beards and save both money and time. I’m sure that there’s several beard discussion forums out there on the web. Probably those forums have their camps of those who trim and those who don’t. Men have been shaving their faces with blades of various types for thousands of years and there’s much to discuss from tools to products for preshave, shaving soaps and aftershave. Electric shavers have only been around since the late 1930s and reaching popularity in the 1950s. Today the electric shaver has morphed into a high tech shaving system allowing both wet and dry shaving. I’m just glad to have found a place to discuss electric shaving regardless of each member’s preferences for brands, wet versus dry, rotary verses screen and the various products we like and enjoy.

The most important thing to remember is to respect each other’s options and preferences. There’s no one way to shave either with a blade or electric and everyone has an opinion just like they have an anal sphincter. One advantage with electric shavers is that all the manufactures have a 30 day no question asked return policy here in the US. This policy is designed to give the purchaser an opportunity to try out the shaver at no financial risk. It would be nice if the forum gods give us a separate category making it easier for other electric shaver enthusiasts to find this forum and each other.

Last edited:

I’m surprised that the series 3 shaver still has a Nimh rechargeable battery rather than a LIon battery. Refresh my memory, does a Nimh battery have a memory similar to a Nickle Cadmium battery? Give us a review of your new shaver.

Top Bottom