What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

Happy to report still in. Finished the Soap Commander and moving on to a sample size Vitos extra super that has been in the den since 2015. The Commander lasted 4 months. I'm figuring I'll be thru the Vitos in 4 weeks. Wiki is updated. Ramble on Gents!
IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

I am 764 shaves into my brick of Vitos extras super coco... The shaves are great but if I keep using at the rate I am now I should finish the brick sometime in April 2023. Makes me wonder if it is possible to do the leap year sabbatical with just a single soap. 🤔

Hi,

I was low on Mug O Mix #1 when we began. I doubt it will last to the end of 2021. I do think Mug O Mix #2, which is full (to the top of an Old Spice mug) will make it Leap Year for sure. Might not make it to the end of 10 years, though. If not, then I have Mug O Mix #3 already made up.

And, I have plenty of the vintage Oster tallow that makes half of the mix. I have no extra of the modern Carden Farms glycerine that makes up the other half. What I do is cut a CF in two, which is a large puck meant to fit into an OS mug. So, stick half in each of two mugs. The Oster is a small puck so I cut one in half and stick the two halves on top of each other into the other side of the OS mug. So, I can make two new Mug O Mix at a time, and I have three OS mugs to be working with.

So, there may come a time when I need to get a new CF soap puck before the end of the 10 years, but I doubt it. I would know for sure if I recalled just when I began using the Mug O Mix I am using right now. But, I don't. I think 2014, but maybe not. I so, then I will be on #3 when we finish this but nowhere near needing a new CF puck.

And, I always have the option of using just Oster. I have plenty of that.

Stan

Hi everyone

I am still in in both leap year and decade restreints. The shave den is thankfully slowly taking a dent from the lack of new purchases, but that is my whole point of joining these restraints, learn to enjoy what I have instead of constantly chasing what could be better

Gentlemen, i just wanted to pay my respects, after reading 3 times the initial post, because i thought it was a joke of some kind. 4 years and 10 year sabbatical? I wish i could join you. I should! But i know i wouldn't last... A particular low bow goes to @GaryTha .

Hi,

Absolutely! This was easy for me to decide to do. I'm already 7 years in doing the Year-Long. Why you ask? The first year was all it took for me to get off the merry-go-round. But, others could use a little support. So, I keep on keeping on. And when this one popped up, I said 'sure, why not?'. ;)

Stan - Still In

Gentlemen, i just wanted to pay my respects, after reading 3 times the initial post, because i thought it was a joke of some kind. 4 years and 10 year sabbatical? I wish i could join you. I should! But i know i wouldn't last... A particular low bow goes to @GaryTha .

I'm not tempted to buy anything shaving-related. However, I spent about $2,500 so far this year buying books for my Jewish study library.

I've moved into a figurative underground bunker and closed the hatch.

Hi,

Absolutely! This was easy for me to decide to do. I'm already 7 years in doing the Year-Long. Why you ask? The first year was all it took for me to get off the merry-go-round. But, others could use a little support. So, I keep on keeping on. And when this one popped up, I said 'sure, why not?'. ;)

Stan - Still In

Ah! So the first year is the difficult one. I am on my 2nd day of a GRUME and yesterday i almost kneeled before temptation... But i held on... You have my admiration, sir! I wish that i will arrive at your level of force of will. The 4 year Sabbatical, if i stocked up on aftershaves, i could do it. I have enough of the rest. But...4 years... I will start with the GRUMEs and next year join the yearly GRUYERE. Then, who knows. Hats off to you, sir, at any case.

I'm not tempted to buy anything shaving-related. However, I spent about $2,500 so far this year buying books for my Jewish study library.

I've moved into a figurative underground bunker and closed the hatch.

Ah, you have reached Zen! I envy you! Spending the money on books is certainly wiser! Maybe one day i will be able to do so. It would mean to go back to my african roots.

Hi,

The first month isn't so bad. By the end of the first quarter, you wonder why in heck you decided to do this. After that it gets easier as you know you have three more quarters to go. So, you get on with using what you have. By the end, I found the desire to try all this stuff had passed.

But, one has to cut back on following all the chatter around here. Stop eyeballing shaving stuff for sale, etc.

Stan

Hi,

The first month isn't so bad. By the end of the first quarter, you wonder why in heck you decided to do this. After that it gets easier as you know you have three more quarters to go. So, you get on with using what you have. By the end, I found the desire to try all this stuff had passed.

But, one has to cut back on following all the chatter around here. Stop eyeballing shaving stuff for sale, etc.

Stan

Oh, i don't even care about the "buy, sell, trade" section, since i am in Europe anyway. I am more concerned about local shops' emails with titles as "everything out, 15% sale only for this weekend!". But i just try to bring to my mind the image of the boxes where i keep my supplies and this helps me stop.

I hope i will arrive to your state of mental peace, sir! If i make it to end's year for 2021, i will be very satisfied. And then i hope to make it through the 2022 GRUYERE. One step at a time.

I am unsure if I have reached a state of restraint or apathy. I just don't feel a need to acquire more stuff (except books...) at the moment.

Books are another story! With e-books you don't even have a problem of storage anymore. With shaving supplies eventually you run out of storage too! Not to mention that creams and croaps can also go bad!

Books are another story! With e-books you don't even have a problem of storage anymore. With shaving supplies eventually you run out of storage too! Not to mention that creams and croaps can also go bad!

I have about 50 feet of Jewish books just in this room. About half of them are in Hebrew and Aramaic which I read slowly. I guessed 300 pages/inch which gives 180,000 pages. Then I have another 700 books or so on my Kindle I haven't read. I haven't bought a new one since last night.

Fortunately, I believe in reincarnation, so I just need to figure out how to get the books to me for free in the next life. Karma should handle it.

I have about 50 feet of Jewish books just in this room. About half of them are in Hebrew and Aramaic which I read slowly. I guessed 300 pages/inch which gives 180,000 pages. Then I have another 700 books or so on my Kindle I haven't read. I haven't bought a new one since last night.

Fortunately, I believe in reincarnation, so I just need to figure out how to get the books to me for free in the next life. Karma should handle it.

You can read hebrew and aramaic? Admirable, sir! I have stopped buying paper books a while ago. Now i only buy ebooks and throw them in the e-reader. Nobody ever lost anything by reading books. Reincarnation or not, your soul will become more noble in this life and in whatever happens afterwards. This is enough to keep doing what you do, sir. And now you have twice my admiration, both for your force of will and for your dedication to reading. :ouch1:

Top Bottom