What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

Hi,

Oh, it said in the jingle: free jingle book. They would hand out books periodically with all the jingles used on the signs when you bought a jar. My list is just a compilation of all of them over the decades. I used it as a database for a simple program which just randomly grabbed one and displayed it in a cadence on a computer screen at boot time.

Stan

Very cool!

I have been enjoying these Burma Shave posts. I'm just old enough to remember seeing these signs on the side of the road (born in November of 1958). Thanks for posting them.

Hi,

I have enjoyed posting them as well. Last time I saw these was in the late 1980s when I finally retired my old IBM 3270 PC with the 3295 plasma flat panel. That was a PC which was more mainframe terminal than PC and the early 1980s flat screen was king of the hill.

Well, until early LCD flat panels came along anyway. Just like TV screens only decades earlier. LCD trumps Plasma. The old Burma Shave cadence at boot time never wound up on the newer platforms (I jumped from 8088 to 80386 and DOS to OS/2, so that is why it never wound up transferred over). So, I haven't seen these in a long while myself.

And, even then, they were random. Not in yearly order like the list itself was in. So, that part is actually new to me.

Stan - Still In

Well my puck of haslinger officially bit the dust Wednesday night. For those interested the puck was 2oz and lasted 4 months and 21 days shaving roughly every other day. So a good value by oz. 1st shave with the cream i bought when i was in Greece is tonight. It’s also the first shaving cream i’ve ever used so i’m looking forward to it!

When The Jar

Is Empty

Wife Begins
To Sing

"For Spices Jams & Jelly

That Jar Is Just
The Thing"

Burma-Shave

Hi,

My wife says 'That's Me!' :)

Stan

I pass most of my empty containers (plastic and glass) to a friend of my wife that is very artistic. She does melted glass with the glass and tends to use the plastic for storage of the zillion little bead and bits she has at her house. She also does stuff with my empty fountain pen ink bottles but it takes me forever and a day to empty one of those. So far none of my ink or shaving related containers would be suitable to jam/jelly or even canning.

Ruckin.

Hi,

That type of glass jar is great for jellies. Not so good for canning. Maybe tomatoes where the acid is high and one can just use a water bath method. Not for my canning, as I always use a pressure canner. Have to use actual Mason jars for that or they tend to break.

Of course, with jelly, you don't even need the lid. Jelly usually gets sealed with wax. ;)

Stan - Still In

Lawyers, Doctors

Sheiks and Bakers

Mountaineers And
Undertakers

Make Their Bristly
Beards Behave

By Using Brushless

Burma-Shaveb

Top Bottom