What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

Hi,

A little looking on eBay shows the (I think) One Pound jar at 3" diameter with a stick-with-lines in the pic. Looks like it was about 3 1/2" tall although they didn't use the stick in that direction. The jar is clear glass, ribbed vertically, with the B-S logo raised on one side.

I also see an auction for 46 B-S items for $750, many of which appear to still contain product. Some of them are modern from the looks of them. Some are vintage. There are even a set of three A&W root beer mugs sporting not the A&W logo but the B-S one.

Some are cans of foam, so those must be modern, but they look like they might be from the 1960s. There is a pack of 5 Personna DE blades and it says they came with B-S lather. Must have been a pressure can. Maybe one of those cans was what came with the blades.

They even have a book on the subject and the dust jacket says it has 600 roadside rhymes in it. I have not counted how many are in my old PC list from 1980. Looks like I have most, if not all, of them.

I see some B-S blades which say No Sharper Ever Made. :) There is even a strop for the SR fans.

Buying this would put you Out, though.

Stan - Still In

Directions for use:

Wash face with soap and water

Rinse

Leave beard moist

Spread on Burma Shave with fingers

Pat - Do Not Rub

Allow a minute for Burma Shave to "set"

...Then Shave

Got these off a lid on a jar in a pic on eBay. Thought it might be a good thing to add. :)

This was a later 'New Improved' jar lid where they used a Burma-Shave sign for a logo in place of their actual logo. But it reads pretty much the same as earlier lids.

Except where earlier lids say 'Wash face thoroly with soap and water'. Yep. Was that a period way to spell thoroughly? Or, did they just screw up the printing on the screw lid?? :p

Oh, and for the Improved part, it also reads 'Brushless with Lanolin'. Guess they added the lanolin.

Stan - Still In

Last edited:
One Pound jar at 3" diameter with a stick-with-lines in the pic. Looks like it was about 3 1/2" tall although they didn't use the stick in that direction.
That would be around 400mL, so that makes Burma-shave quite cheap compared to today's products. Around the same price as a 500mL tube of Vitos cream.

Buying this would put you Out, though.
No worries. I am definetly not buying expired chemicals from the 60s. I'm still enjoying the proraso cream, two third down. Still one month's supply, I'll buy some more cream the next time I go shopping (I go every two weeks now that we have to reduce them).

Hinky Dinky

Parley Voo

Cneer Up Face

The War

Is Thru

Burma-Shave

This is the last of 1930. Tomorrow: 1931

Stan - Still In (looking at new (new to me anyway) camera systems, not shaving stuff)

The One Horse Shay

Has Had Its Day

So Has The Brush

And Lather Way

Use

Burma-Shave

Ha! I *love* this one! :)

Stan - Still In

No Matter How

You Slice It

It's Still Your Face

Be Humane

Use

Burma-Shave

Ouch! That's one painful Ad! :p

Stan - Still In

These are great Stan.
Polished off the Babe Lush soap I was working on since Jan. Next up is the TOBS Avocado cream I picked up a couple years ago in London. I've been 3017ing soaps for the past 3 restraints. I'll try a variety of brushes until I land on one that works for the soap/cream then stick with it to dial in the lather. The Babe Lush never really got there for me. YMMV. I use my ATT S1/2 with a Polysilver blade exclusively. Prep is always the same, shave immediately after showering. I updated my Wiki page to the state of current affairs. Might I suggest that creating a Wiki makes if very easy to track your products' especially for you long haulers in the 2020. Oh and I'm still in.

Hello Druggist

I Don't Mean Maybe

Yes

Sir!

That's The Baby

Burma-Shave

Hi,

I am glad folks like these. I like them myself. I hadn't looked at these since the Days Of DOS. I have this long file with just the rhymes in them, and the year for each of course. But, I haven't used the file since OS/2 and Windows came out.

So, most of these I don't recall at all. They are as new to me as for everyone else. And, it does help to pass the time we have in this thread. Lots and lots of time. ;)

Stan

Half A Pound

For

Half A Buck

Come On Shavers

You're In Luck

Burma-Shave

Hi,

Wouldn't we all like to get half a pound of soap or cream for 50 cents nowadays??

Maybe we could make this a group exception: Anyone finding soap or cream for $1.00 a pound can buy away! :)

Stan

These are great Stan.
Polished off the Babe Lush soap I was working on since Jan. Next up is the TOBS Avocado cream I picked up a couple years ago in London. I've been 3017ing soaps for the past 3 restraints. I'll try a variety of brushes until I land on one that works for the soap/cream then stick with it to dial in the lather. The Babe Lush never really got there for me. YMMV. I use my ATT S1/2 with a Polysilver blade exclusively. Prep is always the same, shave immediately after showering. I updated my Wiki page to the state of current affairs. Might I suggest that creating a Wiki makes if very easy to track your products' especially for you long haulers in the 2020. Oh and I'm still in.

Hey @jamesearthdrum how does one go about creating a wiki page?

Shaving Brush

All Wet

And Hairy

I've Passed You Up

For Sanitary

Burma-Shave

Hi,

Sanitary was becoming a Big Thing in those days. We have a seafood restaurant in Morehead City, NC (on the coast near Atlantic Beach and Fort Macon) called the Sanitary Fish Market and Restaurant. Opened in 1938 and has its' name because they were trying to be just what they say, as that was the In Thing at the time.

Only one more for 1931, tomorrow.

Stan

Top Bottom