What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

Hi,

You're welcome! Actually, most folks anywhere likely don't know of Burma-Shave these days. The original is long gone, and the name remains on some products which bear no resemblance to the original.

Shave The Modern Way

Wash The Face

Apply With Fingers

Shave

Big Tube 35 Cents

Burma-Shave

Stan

Enjoying these stan!

Thanks guys for the words. I’d really want to stay in but I can’t resist buying a Vector to try. It’s really all I want and and some shick proline blades, but yall are in good hands and I’ll stay in the topic to keep checking.

Thanks guys for the words. I’d really want to stay in but I can’t resist buying a Vector to try. It’s really all I want and and some shick proline blades, but yall are in good hands and I’ll stay in the topic to keep checking.

Remember, the rules say if you give in to severe temptation, you don't have to leave.

I’ll probably finish the Col. Williams this week. I decided to go ahead and 3017 it since I will be starting the FFFMM next weekend.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;4yr/10yr Sabbatical

Hi,

One Of The
Great Discoveries

Goodbye! Shaving
Brush

Old Men Look Younger

Young Men Look
Handsomer

Very Fine For The Skin

Burma-Shave

Stan

I had forgotten that BS was anti-brush... I remember learning about the signs while riding in the car with my grandfather. I was nine or ten and we were going to have a big day in town... we would go to the library, stop at city hall, then have lunch at the elk club.

I think my grandfather knew all the jingles and we had a great day that day.
I think my favorite then was:
Don't stick your elbow
Out so far
It may go home
In another car
Burma Shave.

I also remember (but didn't understand at the time...) :eek2:
Trains don't wander
all over the map
'cause nobody sits
in the engineer's lap
Burma Shave

I really miss my grandfather.
Ruckin.

Hi,

Yes, they were Anti-Brush. I recall one about brushes only being in museums. And, others about packing wet brushes in your suitcase being a thing of the past.

I recall that one near me here in NC about brushes being about brushes being Way Down South In Some Museum. I haven't driven that particular road since the late 1980s. Old US-1. I wonder if the signs are still in front of that farm. Or, are they now gone? Or, has the farm become a housing development like so many have since then?

I was here for work for a few months and so was driving all the back roads in farm country looking around. I figured then that I've Been Moved would get around to doing that to me and wondered just where I'd move to. Well, they did, and I did, and those weekends driving around helped me figure where to move to. My farm is still a farm (Gourds) and not a housing development.

I recall one set, my favorite actually, they sit alongside the drive into the train museum in Chattanooga, TN:

Heed This Message
If You'd Be Spared:
Trains Don't Whistle
Because
They're Scared
Burma-Shave

I didn't go thru my list looking for this one. It is from memory. So, I might not have it perfect. Wetware, you know! :p We'll get to it in due course. But, I always liked the PSA ones the best. Things about wrecking your car - or not. :)

Here is today's:

1928:

Takes The H
Out Of Shave

Makes It
Save

Saves Complexion

Saves Time & Money

No Brush
No Lather

Burma-Shave

Stan

Hey Stan was burma shave actually any good? And was this a country wide advertising campaign? I feel like if would be so cool to drive cross country and see these the whole way.

Hi,

I have no idea how Burma Shave was to use. It was long gone by the time I began to shave. I began with Yardley, now long gone, then Old Spice, now long gone as well.

The only creme I have used was Palmolive as that was still around at the time Old Spice went away. I used to empty a tube into an OS mug and let it dry up and use it as a soap. :p Later, that went away as well and I was then onto locally made soaps, mostly from farmstands. As in, the Carden Farms stuff I use these days, picked up at the yearly NC State Fair.

The sign campaign started out regionally, but it wasn't many years later they went National. They had sign maintenance crews everywhere. And, sign salesmen who went out to secure the rights to place the signs back off the road right-of-way on private property. These were along two-lane roads where they were straight and fairly long. At least, the series signs I am posting the texts from. There were single or double signs near towns. Way back then, they were concerned about distracted driving.

Here comes 1929, and a rhyming set:

Every Shaver

Now Can Snore

Six More Minutes

Than Before

By Using

Burma-Shave

Stan

Well, I have a riddle to solve. It's not simple. The answer is infinite. Don't bother Googling the riddle. It's original. The answer is all around you, but cannot be seen except where it can be seen.

The truth is nothing is happening;
In fact, the dogs aren't barking.
It is true that IT is happening;
IT is the day the monsters are due on Maple Street
The first black swan is flying;
The Good Shepherd has the answer.

If anyone gets the substance of the riddle, they will get a $50 gift certificate to Amazon. However, it won't be easy to win. It's not meant to be easy, but IT is nothing. (Hopefully, they will get it for me--just kidding. Words have many meanings).

Note: I will not give away the answer if nobody solves the riddle. Nobody already has.

Last edited:
Hello all

I'd like to add myself to the leap year restraint, second set of rules (buy to replace).
I'm new to DE shaving and my aim is to both shave daily AND not burn more money than needed. Except that I'm already looking at the Focus Dynamic and broman razors, which is completely idiotic given that i am getting better shaves week after week.

It is a lot easier for me to stick to my "nearly new year's resolution" if I announce them, so here it is: I will only buy to replace for the next 4 years.

I might be slightly cheating with the blades from my test pack that I don't like. They will be stored by my mother's house and will be revisited each time I'm there, that should be more than enough to finish them in 4 years. I am not going to force myself to regularly use blades that are uncomfortable.

My current kit is really simple and cheap:
- Edwin Jagger DE89. Fairly cheap, sold by an online vendor who ships to packstations (i live in Germany, that's a kind of automatised packet storage), seemed often recommended to beginners.
- A try pack of blades. Astra SP x10, Derby Super (I don't like those) x8, Persona Platinium x9, Gillette Perma-sharp x10, Gillette Silver Blue x10, Feather x10. That was a bad choice, I'll make myself a new set with cheaper blades and only 2 of each... but after I finished those blades.
- Proraso shaving cream white, "sensibili".
- nivea after shave balm sensitive.

IMG_20200224_210148_v1.jpg

Not much but no need for more!

There is some possibility that I'll get a DE razor that belonged to my grandfather. My grandmother told on the phone me he used "the small razor" after the straight edge and before moving on to electrics.

So up to now I have burned 45€.

Leap Year Restraint
1. @GaryTha
2. @Chandu
3. @Pepin
4. @byDoms
5. @Ruva
6. @jamesearthdrum
7. @Macduff
8. @RTM
9. @martym
10. @deafficianado
11. @Sotiris_A
12. @Brian C.
13. @JeffJ
14. @StAnger667
15. @Thomas Darkblade
16. @RVshave
17. @JAHE
18. @tsimmns
19. @ruckin
20. @Ryanshh
21. @KQY61
22. @phelix
23. @Teuse

2020s Restraint
1. @GaryTha
2. @byDoms
3. @martym
4. @Ruva
5. @Chandu
6. @deafficianado
7. @RTM
8. @Sotiris_A
9. @Brian C.
10. @JeffJ
11. @Macduff
12. @Thomas Darkblade
13. @RVshave
14. @JAHE
15. @tsimmns
16. @ruckin
17. @Ryanshh
18. @KQY61

Well, I have a riddle to solve. It's not simple. The answer is infinite. Don't bother Googling the riddle. It's original. The answer is all around you, but cannot be seen except where it can be seen.

The truth is nothing is happening;
In fact, the dogs aren't barking.
It is true that IT is happening;
IT is the day the monsters are due on Maple Street
The first black swan is flying;
The Good Shepherd has the answer.

If anyone gets the substance of the riddle, they will get a $50 gift certificate to Amazon. However, it won't be easy to win. It's not meant to be easy, but IT is nothing. (Hopefully, they will get it for me--just kidding. Words have many meanings).

Note: I will not give away the answer if nobody solves the riddle. Nobody already has.

Is the riddle about the "twilight"?

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices...to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill...and suspicion can destroy...and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own – for the children and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined ...

1929:

Two

Hundred

Thousand

Men

Use

Burma-Shave

Hi,

Well, that's a lame one! But, we have to keep in mind that these are the early days.

What I wanna know is: how did *they* know they had 200,000 customers in 1929? They could tell how many jars they had sold to the drug stores, but hard to judge sell-through. And even harder to tell sell-through to new customers vs. sales of replacement to existing customers.... :p

I seem to recall that this sign set recurs as they figure out they have an increasing number of customers. But, I won't scan thru the list to see how many times this one gets reused. I'll just keep to the one-a-day (like multi-vitamins) and find out along with us all. ;)

Stan

1929:

Half A Pound

For

Half A Dollar

Spread On Thin

Above The Collar

Burma-Shave

Hi,

This is the end for 1929. Next we go to 1930 where we have 19 sets.

It's a good thing I saved everything computer file-wise over the years. I never thought I'd use this Burma.Dat file ever again. But, storage became ever cheaper as the years progressed. What was a lot on a 360 kB floppy discs is nothing at all to a current USB hard drive. ;)

Stan

I respectfully decline. There are too many rules in life already. I don’t need to start making more for myself.

Top Bottom