What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

Stopped Rinsing My Brush

It started by accident. My sink faucet started leaking, and I put off fixing it because I'd had surgery and couldn't contort under the sink. I turned off the water and filled a plastic tub shaped like a bread pan with hot water from the kitchen.

I soaked the brush while I washed my face. After I face lathered, I scraped the excess lather into the mug and hung the brush on the stand. I'd rinse it out after I shaved and washed my face. Well, I'd often forget to rinse out the brush.

After about a month of no rinsing, nothing bad happened. My lather improved. Surprisingly, the brush dries in only a couple hours, and there was no soapy buildup. The bristles got softer and reconditioned. I don't get any hair loss.

I shave daily with a Cremo horsehair brush and Williams Mug Soap.

Hi,

I gotta get in the habit of posting one of these a day.... :p

Goodbye Shaving Brush

Half A Pound
For

Half A Dollar

Very Fine
For The Skin

Druggists Have It

Cheer Up Face
The War Is Over

Burma-Shave

Now, these all used all upper case lettering. I am not here because then y'all will think I am shouting at you! ;)

Some signs had double lines and so I am putting those down as I did above. The blank line between each means a different sign a bit down the road. I suppose I could stick more blank lines in, but then the posts grow a tad large.

Anyway, read a line, pause a second, and then read the next to get somewhat of the cadence the signs had whilst motoring along. :)

Later on, about five more posts in, we get to 1929 and the first of the rhyming sign sets. They become a lot more fun then. There were ever more signs per year as they went along, and it is a long way to 1963. Lots of fun still to come.

Stan

Hi,

I gotta get in the habit of posting one of these a day.... :p

Goodbye Shaving Brush

Half A Pound
For

Half A Dollar

Very Fine
For The Skin

Druggists Have It

Cheer Up Face
The War Is Over

Burma-Shave

Now, these all used all upper case lettering. I am not here because then y'all will think I am shouting at you! ;)

Some signs had double lines and so I am putting those down as I did above. The blank line between each means a different sign a bit down the road. I suppose I could stick more blank lines in, but then the posts grow a tad large.

Anyway, read a line, pause a second, and then read the next to get somewhat of the cadence the signs had whilst motoring along. :)

Later on, about five more posts in, we get to 1929 and the first of the rhyming sign sets. They become a lot more fun then. There were ever more signs per year as they went along, and it is a long way to 1963. Lots of fun still to come.

Stan

I wondered if the half pound was weight or size. In soaps, half a pound is half of a cubic inch.

Hi,

The stuff came in a wide mouth jar, sort of like Noxzema. So, I always figured the half-pound was weight and specified that way, rather than by ounces, to avoid confusion with fluid ounces. As a creme, it might have been considered as fluid ounces by some folks, especially in 1927.

And, now we have four sign sets coming for 1928.

Holler

Half A Pound
For

Half A Dollar

Oh Boy!

Shaving Joy

Complexion Save

Burma-Shave

This one does have rhyme to it. Maybe this one got them to thinking about that. The next three don't rhyme. The next one that does is listed as a 1929 which has four sign sets, three of which rhyme. Oh, well. They're all fun. :)

Stan

Gentleman, I am going to have to respectfully withdraw from these two competitions. As much as I love saving money, I also know that I’m about to pull the trigger on some new soaps. I have a few feeling the sabbaticals just aren’t for me. I have lots of respect for those that stay in, but I have no willpower to not purchase stuff, ha.

My Col. Williams became a doughnut today. I’m not sure how many Fridays are left in it but it will signify the end of 2 pucks. Col conk lime and Williams. I think I will put my new puck of tabac in rotation next.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;4yr/10yr Sabbatical

My Col. Williams became a doughnut today. I’m not sure how many Fridays are left in it but it will signify the end of 2 pucks. Col conk lime and Williams. I think I will put my new puck of tabac in rotation next.

How many shaves did you get from your Williams puck?

How many shaves did you get from your Williams puck?

I’m right at 100 shaves minimum with it. It’s part of a daily rotation and only gets used on Fridays for the most part since the first of April 2018.

But, those are 6 pass face/head shaves. 3 passes each.

I’m right at 100 shaves minimum with it. It’s part of a daily rotation and only gets used on Fridays for the most part since the first of April 2018.

But, those are 6 pass face/head shaves. 3 passes each.

Just face shaves, I could easily get 200 shaves or more from 1 puck.

Just face shaves, I could easily get 200 shaves or more from 1 puck.

It's still early to tell, but I may be able to get 350 single pass shaves out of my current puck. The number could be way off as I'm keeping the puck moister than in the past.

It's still early to tell, but I may be able to get 350 single pass shaves out of my current puck. The number could be way off as I'm keeping the puck moister than in the past.

It seems you could get more than that just based on my numbers and allowing for face only and your single pass to my 3 passes.

I only use a Synth as well with the exception of 2 shaves where I used my big omega boar. Even then, it didn’t take much off of the puck.

Still in, though I am not as active as I used to be here. I am only using 1 razor, 1 synthetic brush and 1 soap lately. I'm currently in "shaving nirvana".

Hi,

I had an idea a couple years ago for a year-long theme: Burma-Shave. As in the roadside signs from Way Back. Enter one a day for the duration.

Never did it, though. Other folks had better ideas, or at least I thought theirs were better than mine. ;)

And, there are a lot more Burma-Shave roadside signs than needed for a single year. It would have been pick and choose on my part. But, for this. Ten Years. Yeah. Sounds like the place to stick them all.

The early ones aren't rhyming, but the list is by Year as they went out alongside the roads. Start at the beginning, I think.

For those that don't know, this was a very old advertising methodology. A series of signs placed at intervals which gave a message and told who it was advertising. We can still see billboard versions alongside Interstates. Like I-90 500 miles each side of Wall, South Dakota for Wall Drug. Or, I-95 200 miles either side on the NC / SC line for South of the Border.

I think Burma-Shave began it all, though. Small wooden signs on steel posts, painted red with white lettering. Mostly trying to tell everyone who passed that Burma-Shave was a brushless shaving creme. Early ones were pretty straightforward, but later they rhymed. Ran from 1927 until 1963 when ever faster driving pretty much meant no one was reading them any longer.

Some, and my favorites, were Public Service Ads. They usually talked about being safe on the road, with the only ad part being the always-used last sign in the series which always read: Burma-Shave.

Note, that Burma-Shave has nothing to do with the current items we see with that name on it. That's someone who is just using the old brand name. And, I don't think anything with the name on it nowadays is a brushless shaving creme at all. Not even akin to What Was....

Anyway, if I pop one a day, or every couple of days, it will give some fun traffic in what is likely to be, ahem, a long road....

Here is a PSA version, randomly picked from the list. 1939:

Past
Schoolhouses
Take It Slow
Let The Little
Shavers Grow
Burma-Shave

The way this worked, is they sat alongside a straight stretch of road 10-20 feet apart, 6 feet off the ground. The board sizes varied over the years, but originally were 3 feet long, 10 inches high, and an inch thick made of pine dipped in paint and then having 4 inch lettering.

The signs were white on red or black on orange but eventually just the white on red. At least, I never recall seeing black on orange ones. When I was a kid, there were still some around on the roads even though Burma-Shave wasn't around to be bought any more. The last set I recall was in the 1990s alongside Old US 1 between Raleigh and Southern Pines, NC that a farmer kept up on his own.

Some museums have them still. But, the set I recall had been placed there long ago and maintained by successive generations because they liked the things alongside the old road in front of their farm. :)

So, as you went down the road, you'd read one line at a time. You'd have to remember all the lines as you read them to get the message. The backside of each side all read Burma-Shave so no one was trying to read the other side of the road. Yeah. I bet that worked out. I can see necks swivelling like mad in my mind's eye. :p

Way back when personal computers were 4.88 MHz and ran DOS, I wrote a program that ran at boot time and popped the lines out in a cadence like you were driving past the signs at 45 MPH. Yeah. I made you wait for it. And, remember the lines. At the end, I put them all up for a few seconds before the program ended.

Anyway, I have all the sign texts still, by year they came out, and could stick them out here as we roll along for a decade.

What do folks think?

Stan

This is very interesting for me. I am from Greece and I had no clue what Burma-Shave was before this post. Thanks! :)

Hi,

You're welcome! Actually, most folks anywhere likely don't know of Burma-Shave these days. The original is long gone, and the name remains on some products which bear no resemblance to the original.

Shave The Modern Way

Wash The Face

Apply With Fingers

Shave

Big Tube 35 Cents

Burma-Shave

Stan

Gentleman, I am going to have to respectfully withdraw from these two competitions. As much as I love saving money, I also know that I’m about to pull the trigger on some new soaps. I have a few feeling the sabbaticals just aren’t for me. I have lots of respect for those that stay in, but I have no willpower to not purchase stuff, ha.

Sad to see you go @tsimms!

First casualty of the sabbatical. Lasted almost 2 years though so no complaints on longevity!

Attachments

• B6DC6A5B-3CA5-4498-A5B9-2B92C9361170.jpeg
    B6DC6A5B-3CA5-4498-A5B9-2B92C9361170.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Top Bottom