What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

Hey all. I signed up for the leap year sabbatical. At the time I signed up, I said I knew I wouldn't make it, but it would be fun to see how long I could last. However, I'm very much into the hobby/collecting aspect and I know I can't go 4 years without violating sabbatical rules. So I'd like to respectfully withdraw before it starts since I've realized this particular challenge isn't for me. For now, I'll be happy if I succeed in the 2020 sabbatical and will go from there. I wish all of you here the best of luck!

Hi,

One thing that helps with these restraints is to Play along with some of the special things here on B+B. Like the OCtober I mentioned a few posts back. This is where we use only an Open Comb style razor in October.

Right now, I am in the One Blade February. This is where we use one blade and see how far it will go before we bin the thing. I have done this for several years running. Different razors, same blade. Same razor, different blades.

One year, I used a Fasan DoubleSlant and a Personna 74 blade and ran it all 28 days, plus two more in March for 30 days. I then wrapped it back up and yanked it out the next year for 15 more days. 45 total days.

This year, I am using my standard Personna Med Prep in my new ATT S2 for an ATT v Fasan comparison. They go +/- 23 days in the Fasan.

Next up will be the Fixed Four For March Madness. This is where we use one model razor, one brand of blade, one brand of soap and one chosen brush for the month of March.

Stan

I like these ideas Stan! I think i’ll try one or two out if i start to get bored. Rolling along nicely now though. About to finish a bottle of witch hazel that’s been going strong almost 2 years. Also my Haslinger is starting to get down there as well.

Hey all. I signed up for the leap year sabbatical. At the time I signed up, I said I knew I wouldn't make it, but it would be fun to see how long I could last. However, I'm very much into the hobby/collecting aspect and I know I can't go 4 years without violating sabbatical rules. So I'd like to respectfully withdraw before it starts since I've realized this particular challenge isn't for me. For now, I'll be happy if I succeed in the 2020 sabbatical and will go from there. I wish all of you here the best of luck!

That's fine. Good luck to you.

I guess it's time for an update. The time is flying buy.

I've learned to use more water with Williams. The lather is so wet, it sometimes drips off my face. It's super-slick this way and provides great protection against nicks. The puck won't last as long, but that's not a big deal.

I'm up to 36 shaves on the first edge of an Astra SP blade. A four blade year is looking like a possibility. What am I going to do with a blade supply that could last over 100 years?

The 10,000 step-program and listening to books are occupying most of my mental bandwidth. The Sabbaticals are like a tiny program running in the background.

Shave today with a GEM Featherweight and a finished off a puck of Fougere Bouquet from WK that I bought probably two years ago. Not sure how many shaves it got out of it but, man I’m going to miss the scent. I gotta admit, I’d really love to buy a Vector and some Bare Siero Wholly Kaw, but as for now I’m still in. Not going to toss all my razors for a Vector.

Dear all,
I guess AZBronco's rationale is applicable to me as well. I do have high hopes that I will make my way succesfully through the sabbatical 2020 (and it is more than likely that I will not stop the restraint once the first year has been completed).
However, as priorly stated my personal approach to enter into the sabbaticals simply has been to stop filling my den with more and more - and even more stuff. Now, I made my mind in the course of the last days and I realized that the "buy to replace only the last item"-approach is not the one I really favour. As stated I do enjoy a bit of variety (and I'd like to follow up with such variety as long as my stash does not grow anymore).
So I guess my way of choice is the participation in the annual restraint group only.

Therefore I would like to respectfully withdraw from this group.

Wishing you all best success on your way!
(I will follow this thread.)

Dear all,
I guess AZBronco's rationale is applicable to me as well. I do have high hopes that I will make my way succesfully through the sabbatical 2020 (and it is more than likely that I will not stop the restraint once the first year has been completed).
However, as priorly stated my personal approach to enter into the sabbaticals simply has been to stop filling my den with more and more - and even more stuff. Now, I made my mind in the course of the last days and I realized that the "buy to replace only the last item"-approach is not the one I really favour. As stated I do enjoy a bit of variety (and I'd like to follow up with such variety as long as my stash does not grow anymore).
So I guess my way of choice is the participation in the annual restraint group only.

Best of luck!

Dear all,

Similar line of thinking over the last couple of days. Having been on the 3017 train for 9+ years, do not need the structure of constraints. Also want the future option to swap inventory while keeping on a use it up path.

I am withdrawing. Best of luck and I will continue to follow with interest and support.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm still in, but this one hasn't officially started, has it? I thought this one kicked on on Feb 29th. At that time I will use a razor for no less than one calendar month.

I'm still in, but this one hasn't officially started, has it? I thought this one kicked on on Feb 29th. At that time I will use a razor for no less than one calendar month.

Leap Year Restraint: 0001 Feb 29, 2020 to 2359 Feb 29, 2024

2020s 10-year Restraint: 0001 Jan 1, 2020 to 2359, Dec 31, 2029

I will make it through the Leap year restraint but am contemplating dropping from the 10 year one after that. I have plenty of gear to make the 4 year easily but I don't know, at this time, if I really want to just use one soap at a time until it's gone before I buy another one. I do like having a rotation, but I do now know that I don't need 12 soaps in rotation. I'm thinking more of a years worth at a time. Maybe getting 2 Stirlings and then maybe a Williams or Arko and that should get me a year and until my next order comes in.

This very much subject to change, but it is something on my mind at this time.

Still in.

Well guys apparently I’m out and didn’t even realize it until now after reading the rules. I traded away my General V2 for a Feather SS. Didn’t know trades weren’t allowed until reading the whole post earlier today. 😕
I will continue to play at home on my own and maybe even update here as I hated that razor and didn’t have a straight/Shavette to use and wanted to try one.
You made a great trade. I like the General but I LOVE the Feather SS.

If you have never tried open-blade shaving before it might take a while before you really get the hang of it. If I were you I would start by just shaving the cheeks on both sides of the face with the SS and finishing the shave with a DE (or whatever non-open-blade razor you prefer). Try that for a week or so and then add a more challenging part of the face, like the neck. After that, add the chin and the mustache area.

After about 30 or 40 shaves, you will begin to really see the beauty of it.

You made a great trade. I like the General but I LOVE the Feather SS.

If you have never tried open-blade shaving before it might take a while before you really get the hang of it. If I were you I would start by just shaving the cheeks on both sides of the face with the SS and finishing the shave with a DE (or whatever non-open-blade razor you prefer). Try that for a week or so and then add a more challenging part of the face, like the neck. After that, add the chin and the mustache area.

After about 30 or 40 shaves, you will begin to really see the beauty of it.

Here’s to hoping it turns out that way. I’ve had mixed reviews the couple of times I used it so far. I wish i had some proline blades to try with it as I only have the feather pros and man these things feel rough. Oh well, plenty of DE blades for weekly shaving, only using the SS For weekend shaves as of now.

Here’s to hoping it turns out that way. I’ve had mixed reviews the couple of times I used it so far. I wish i had some proline blades to try with it as I only have the feather pros and man these things feel rough. Oh well, plenty of DE blades for weekly shaving, only using the SS For weekend shaves as of now.
Prolines and the Kai Mild are both a lot smoother than the Feather Pro, at least for me.
You can buy samples at tryablade.com.

Today, I seemed to bloop back into being a regular shaver. I guess that can be an ultimate goal of minimalism.

I'm using the "desert island" approach for the 2020s restraint. Internally, I think of it as a long voyage on a clipper ship. My great-grandfather was a first-mate on a clipper ship with Canard Lines. I guess there is a bit of sailing in my blood.

There is no need for me to log my shaves every day or check in often. I figure a port call once a month is enough. Maybe less.

I plan to enjoy "just shaving" like I used to do.

Today, I seemed to bloop back into being a regular shaver. I guess that can be an ultimate goal of minimalism.

I'm using the "desert island" approach for the 2020s restraint. Internally, I think of it as a long voyage on a clipper ship. My great-grandfather was a first-mate on a clipper ship with Canard Lines. I guess there is a bit of sailing in my blood.

There is no need for me to log my shaves every day or check in often. I figure a port call once a month is enough. Maybe less.

I plan to enjoy "just shaving" like I used to do.
So no more tracking for the Cal Ripken challenge?

So no more tracking for the Cal Ripken challenge?

I'll be tracking. For now, I'll post at least once a week. The changes will mostly be how I run my spreadsheet at home. I'll still monitor the threads to see if people want more.

Hi,

I had an idea a couple years ago for a year-long theme: Burma-Shave. As in the roadside signs from Way Back. Enter one a day for the duration.

Never did it, though. Other folks had better ideas, or at least I thought theirs were better than mine. ;)

And, there are a lot more Burma-Shave roadside signs than needed for a single year. It would have been pick and choose on my part. But, for this. Ten Years. Yeah. Sounds like the place to stick them all.

The early ones aren't rhyming, but the list is by Year as they went out alongside the roads. Start at the beginning, I think.

For those that don't know, this was a very old advertising methodology. A series of signs placed at intervals which gave a message and told who it was advertising. We can still see billboard versions alongside Interstates. Like I-90 500 miles each side of Wall, South Dakota for Wall Drug. Or, I-95 200 miles either side on the NC / SC line for South of the Border.

I think Burma-Shave began it all, though. Small wooden signs on steel posts, painted red with white lettering. Mostly trying to tell everyone who passed that Burma-Shave was a brushless shaving creme. Early ones were pretty straightforward, but later they rhymed. Ran from 1927 until 1963 when ever faster driving pretty much meant no one was reading them any longer.

Some, and my favorites, were Public Service Ads. They usually talked about being safe on the road, with the only ad part being the always-used last sign in the series which always read: Burma-Shave.

Note, that Burma-Shave has nothing to do with the current items we see with that name on it. That's someone who is just using the old brand name. And, I don't think anything with the name on it nowadays is a brushless shaving creme at all. Not even akin to What Was....

Anyway, if I pop one a day, or every couple of days, it will give some fun traffic in what is likely to be, ahem, a long road....

Here is a PSA version, randomly picked from the list. 1939:

Past
Schoolhouses
Take It Slow
Let The Little
Shavers Grow
Burma-Shave

The way this worked, is they sat alongside a straight stretch of road 10-20 feet apart, 6 feet off the ground. The board sizes varied over the years, but originally were 3 feet long, 10 inches high, and an inch thick made of pine dipped in paint and then having 4 inch lettering.

The signs were white on red or black on orange but eventually just the white on red. At least, I never recall seeing black on orange ones. When I was a kid, there were still some around on the roads even though Burma-Shave wasn't around to be bought any more. The last set I recall was in the 1990s alongside Old US 1 between Raleigh and Southern Pines, NC that a farmer kept up on his own.

Some museums have them still. But, the set I recall had been placed there long ago and maintained by successive generations because they liked the things alongside the old road in front of their farm. :)

So, as you went down the road, you'd read one line at a time. You'd have to remember all the lines as you read them to get the message. The backside of each side all read Burma-Shave so no one was trying to read the other side of the road. Yeah. I bet that worked out. I can see necks swivelling like mad in my mind's eye. :p

Way back when personal computers were 4.88 MHz and ran DOS, I wrote a program that ran at boot time and popped the lines out in a cadence like you were driving past the signs at 45 MPH. Yeah. I made you wait for it. And, remember the lines. At the end, I put them all up for a few seconds before the program ended.

Anyway, I have all the sign texts still, by year they came out, and could stick them out here as we roll along for a decade.

What do folks think?

Stan

Top Bottom