What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

Hi,

At least B-S was trying to get folks to chase the best shave. Chase them right into the drug store and buy B-S, anyway!

But, yes, they must have been. You had KCG over here with the Old Type and his blades. And, then the New Improved, and then the New. And the Gem bunch over there. And 53 other razor companies everywhere else hawking theirs as better than the others. And, brushes all over and soaps all over and, well, just like it is today with the online supplies. Only in the drug stores.

As time marched on, they whittled down and down and down. By the time I could pay attention, there was Gillette and Schick for the most part. And double edged, and single edged, and injectors and bands and then - two blades on one side from both Schick and Gillette.

Soaps, we had Yardley, and Old Spice and Williams and canned stuff from Barbasol and Schick had one with a heater that their can went in. That's what I recall from when I was a kid. Oh, and Norelco was out there with Santa on a shaver with three heads sliding down a mountain with shaving cream on it. :)

So, in 76, I began shaving. Dad gave me a pre war Tech and an old Rubberset brush and I used his Schick Platinum DE blades and his Yardley soap. Then, the Shaving Apocalypse began. Yardley was the first to go. Dad switched to Old Spice.

Then, during the mid 80s, it all went away in a few months from the grocery stores. It was all still there in the drug stores. Then, in the late 80s, it began to disappear completely. All in favor of the now 3-bladed carts. And the canned stuff. Old Spice went away. I used the Gillette Brush Plus for a while. That was goo in a can in a handle with a tube running up into the brush head. Well, until they killed that off, too. Then, Palmolive cream. Blades I got from the surgical supply store. Eventually, I couldn't even find Palmolive and moved to farm-made soaps.

Happily we are back to chasing thru piles of stuff searching for that perfect shave. :)

And, I never did notice where Burma-Shave was ever in my sights. The history I can find is that B-S sold to ASR in 1964 and they kept it going for quite a while. But, no date is shown for when they dropped it for good. I can't say I ever saw it on the drug store shelves when we were in there to pick up soap or blades.

I do see all sorts of packaging for it on Ebay where it looks to me it was still around in the 1970s. By the styling of some of them, anyway.

And B-S was in there trying an oddball way of getting your attention to buy theirs instead. And, they gave away the jingles with the product and so we have them with use still.

I might have to pick one jingle and fabricate a set of signs and post them alongside my half mile long driveway. ;)

Stan

Hi,

At least B-S was trying to get folks to chase the best shave. Chase them right into the drug store and buy B-S, anyway!

But, yes, they must have been. You had KCG over here with the Old Type and his blades. And, then the New Improved, and then the New. And the Gem bunch over there. And 53 other razor companies everywhere else hawking theirs as better than the others. And, brushes all over and soaps all over and, well, just like it is today with the online supplies. Only in the drug stores.

As time marched on, they whittled down and down and down. By the time I could pay attention, there was Gillette and Schick for the most part. And double edged, and single edged, and injectors and bands and then - two blades on one side from both Schick and Gillette.

Soaps, we had Yardley, and Old Spice and Williams and canned stuff from Barbasol and Schick had one with a heater that their can went in. That's what I recall from when I was a kid. Oh, and Norelco was out there with Santa on a shaver with three heads sliding down a mountain with shaving cream on it. :)

So, in 76, I began shaving. Dad gave me a pre war Tech and an old Rubberset brush and I used his Schick Platinum DE blades and his Yardley soap. Then, the Shaving Apocalypse began. Yardley was the first to go. Dad switched to Old Spice.

Then, during the mid 80s, it all went away in a few months from the grocery stores. It was all still there in the drug stores. Then, in the late 80s, it began to disappear completely. All in favor of the now 3-bladed carts. And the canned stuff. Old Spice went away. I used the Gillette Brush Plus for a while. That was goo in a can in a handle with a tube running up into the brush head. Well, until they killed that off, too. Then, Palmolive cream. Blades I got from the surgical supply store. Eventually, I couldn't even find Palmolive and moved to farm-made soaps.

Happily we are back to chasing thru piles of stuff searching for that perfect shave. :)

And, I never did notice where Burma-Shave was ever in my sights. The history I can find is that B-S sold to ASR in 1964 and they kept it going for quite a while. But, no date is shown for when they dropped it for good. I can't say I ever saw it on the drug store shelves when we were in there to pick up soap or blades.

I do see all sorts of packaging for it on Ebay where it looks to me it was still around in the 1970s. By the styling of some of them, anyway.

And B-S was in there trying an oddball way of getting your attention to buy theirs instead. And, they gave away the jingles with the product and so we have them with use still.

I might have to pick one jingle and fabricate a set of signs and post them alongside my half mile long driveway. ;)

Stan

Put up digital signs and change them every day.

Hi,

Solar powered digital signs. I like it. Maybe add a radio link to each so I can change them from the farmhouse. :)

Lots of work for signs almost no one will see but us. But, I might just do exactly that as a winter project. The Cootie has killed off most of my electronics clients due to lack of parts availability, most of which came from China. Bankruptcies rule after having the issue around for a whole year now. Sigh.

Stan

So question on the rules: I’m about 8/10ths through my last tube of shaving cream. Do i have to wait until it’s totally gone to order my next soap?

Hi,

I'm not running the show, but it is replacements OK and I think it would be OK to do it as you are getting close. These days, who knows what delays might be encountered. So, sounds to me like it is the proper time.

Me, I am going to order 100 blades come Jan 1st as I can't wait until later in 2021 when they run almost out as I know I will be in the year-long once again. And, there's no ordering nothing during a year-long. The first two weeks in January is all the restock window there is.

Stan

Hi,

I'm not running the show, but it is replacements OK and I think it would be OK to do it as you are getting close. These days, who knows what delays might be encountered. So, sounds to me like it is the proper time.

Me, I am going to order 100 blades come Jan 1st as I can't wait until later in 2021 when they run almost out as I know I will be in the year-long once again. And, there's no ordering nothing during a year-long. The first two weeks in January is all the restock window there is.

Stan

Thanks Stan that was my thinking too. I usually only have 2-3 soaps and open one once i’ve finished up my current one, but i’ve used up my “reserves” and didn’t want to end up using my fiancés shaving cream while i waited for a new soap in the mail.

The Geo Trumpers is 3017 history. It was almost 3 months to the day which is very consistent with the other creams I have used up during these restraints. I'm going to focus on the samples I have in the inventory to get a little variety going. Once those are gone it will be back to the 3017 modality. Shave on gents, time marches on!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've been busy restraining without effort. I don't come often to B&B as I'm into another project.
Me too. I've been away a month. Have been shaving, but my hobby time is fishing. Shaving just happens without fanfare.

Hi,

I am fluffing along, this month in the Slantember sphere of influence. Or, it would be if I didn't already have the best of the Slants - the Fasan DoubleSlant.

There is a key to long term restraining: You always have the best of everything, so then don't have to go looking any further. ;)

Stan

Top Bottom