What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

So thinking of going for the 2020 challenge, what sort of quantities do you need for a years shaving? Couple of soaps, 100 blades! Still in my first six months so not actually used up any soaps yet or settled on a razor or blade type.

It depends how often you shave and how many shaves you get from a blade. 100 blades should EASILY be enough. Like Gary the numbers man says, it depends on the type of soap too. Harder, triple milled are very hard to kill. Soaps like Tabac, PdP, MdC last forever. Softer soaps not so much.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Just finished off a bottle of Dr. Jon's 1803 aftershave. I liked the scent, but it is unique (probably a little divisive), lasts all day, and has really strong silage. I generally felt like "that guy" in the elevator or crowded rooms when I wore it so I usually only wore it on weekends and when I didn't worry about office meetings. Great performing product, but it took me probably 5 years to finish it up so I won't be buying it again.

Still out!
What did it smell like?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Lol, I've used a partial stick of Arko, maybe half an inch or less, finished one lump of home-made soap and will probably finish off another, and have used 5 razor blades for the year. Would have been fewer blades but I used a couple less than stellar ones, probably 3 or 4 if I'd used 7 O'Clock blacks.

So in general, divide the number of days in the year by how many shaves you get from a blade, that will give you a good idea of how many you will need, and figure 4 to six months for a decent sized soap used properly (hint: you don't need much soap to get an excellent shave, it only has to be slick....)

It depends how often you shave and how many shaves you get from a blade. 100 blades should EASILY be enough. Like Gary the numbers man says, it depends on the type of soap too. Harder, triple milled are very hard to kill. Soaps like Tabac, PdP, MdC last forever. Softer soaps not so much.
When I started wet shaving, I averaged 3-5 shaves per blade--so even at that rate 100 blades should be plenty. Now I get at least 7-10 shaves per blade. I also have a straight razor that I go through periods when I use it a lot. I think I could get through a year with 25 blades if I had to.

1571043500082.png

Well, I am still in. (But many interesting razors on the BST!)
Working on an interesting finale to the story.

The upcoming Sue Charity auction will provide potential source for the operatives still on the case.

Looks like Gillette is getting back into the safety razor business.

Looks like it's an EJ-89 type head and the handle looks like a riff on the old fat handle for the New. They're probably just getting it made in China like everyone else. They should have just done a Tech head.

Looks like it's an EJ-89 type head and the handle looks like a riff on the old fat handle for the New. They're probably just getting it made in China like everyone else. They should have just done a Tech head.

Nothing wrong with a razor that's well-made in China. Gillette wouldn't bother for only one razor. In my opinion, they are planning to release a series of razors.

Nothing wrong with a razor that's well-made in China. Gillette wouldn't bother for only one razor. In my opinion, they are planning to release a series of razors.
True. My brother used to work for P&G. They wouldn't commission a line for a limited build of DEs. I just like the Tech head, to be honest. And agreed, nothing wrong with a zamak head made in China, I have those in my den too :). I don't even think their price is ridiculous, given that it comes with a case. I also like the handle.

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Just checked out the auction. Nothing I want. Clear sailing until the end of the year!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom