What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

Checking in to report on my second major kill of the year: a tub of Barrister & Mann Reserve Lavender soap. With one exception, I'm going strong as far as keeping desires in check. I may still yet go out for some discontinued razor blades that I particularly like where it seems the NOS stock is drying up.

I was in a Marshall's store today and they had a lot of Proraso on sale. They had tubes of red and green and tubs of red, green and white all for $4.99 each. They also had a bottle of green aftershave going for $7.99. I don't currently need any of it but there was still a part of me that kind of wanted to buy some. I may actually need some the year after next so I'll have to keep them in mind. Marshall's seems to get some fairly regularly.

SWMBO appears to have been dipping into my witch hazel stash I laid in during the restock. She went through one bottle, and started another before I noticed (She typically buys the same brand I get). I think I should be ok (as in not out) if I buy a bottle for her, so I can reclaim the one she just opened. Given that we're half way through August and I don't use it that often, I'm probably good till the end of the year.

As I mentioned, I think I'm good, but what would be the ruling on back filling her WH pilfering?

#80 out!

Things were going just fine! Plenty of supplies, no temptations but that evil RAD cropped up and there I was, looking at classifieds, reading reviews, it was just a matter of time at that point. Just made the purchase and I’m officially out.

It’s been fun, good luck everyone, only about 4 1/2 months to go. Stay strong!

#80 out!

Things were going just fine! Plenty of supplies, no temptations but that evil RAD cropped up and there I was, looking at classifieds, reading reviews, it was just a matter of time at that point. Just made the purchase and I’m officially out.

What razor?

#80 out!

What did you buy? Do tell.
:a21:

I picked up a Rex Ambassador, no pictures yet, should get it in a few days. I never owned an adjustable and I was fishing around for a Fatboy or was even thinking of a Rockwell 6s (different kind of adjustable) but an attractive price on the Rex came up, its my birthday this Saturday and I just thought, what the heck...

The sabbatical has helped me greatly reduce by purchases but the quest for shave nirvana will make you do unexpected things. I'll give it another try next year but maybe put in an exception for a little wiggle room.

What razor?

What did you buy? Do tell.
:a21:

I picked up a Rex Ambassador, no pictures yet, should get it in a few days. I never owned an adjustable and I was fishing around for a Fatboy or was even thinking of a Rockwell 6s (different kind of adjustable) but an attractive price on the Rex came up, its my birthday this Saturday and I just thought, what the heck...

The sabbatical has helped me greatly reduce by purchases but the quest for shave nirvana will make you do unexpected things. I'll give it another try next year but maybe put in an exception for a little wiggle room.
congrats on the Rex, one of the best razors (fixed or adjustable) I've ever used. And happy birthday!

Participant #79 still in.
Getting dangerously low on Lucky Tiger splash- won’t make it past September. Ill maybe grab 2 bottles this time, during the restock period. Love the stuff!
Still 3017ing my soaps and creams, of which I have plenty of for another year of restraint after this. Lots of blades, an unused zenith boar brush I’m eager to break in one day, and my razors work just fine. I’m enjoying the stock of products in my cubby, and having great shaves.
I still wonder why I chose to be so greedy, and wasteful by acquiring so many products when I started wet shaving 6-7 years ago. These days, I really enjoy keeping things simple.

Great razor to go out for. I have an earlier N code that is still giving fantastic shaves.

During the restock period I'm going to have to get a puck of Tabac and a tub of Derby soap. I'm almost done the Derb soap, and I'll be darn close to finishing the Tabac before the restock.

#15 still in.
Making my way through my stash of creams and resisting temptations. My 2019 stainless razor has not been chosen yet.
Great daily shaves from my DE89 and Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless. It seems to me that this combination is most suitable for daily shaves.
Stay strong.

I must report that I'm out.

Earlier this year, I received a PIF of several blades that were new to me, including the Brazillian Gillette Platinum Plus. I've come to love those blades - they've risen to the top of my list. And unfortunately, they're discontinued. I've been watching them on eBay. At first they seemed fairly prevalent, but expensive. But they aren't showing up as often any more. The stock of the one supplier who had them at a slightly less expensive price showed that it had only one set of 100 blades left for sale, so I bit the bullet and bought it.

However, before I did so, I made my 2020 resupply list. I'm going to try to stick to it for the rest of the year. If it's not on the list, it's not being bought.

Good luck on the hunt for the Falcon razor.

Hmmm ..... I am falling behind in the story line, August is turning out to be a rough month for some.

Sam Spades Team of Operatives

1. Pepin - vintage grail razor***2018***

3. johnwick - One Timeless baseplate swap
4. Ruckin–No exception***2018***
5. mikelz777 - No exception***2018***

7. Shave_Rat - New scuttle***2018***
8. meanpr - No exception
11. Vespasian- No exception
13. KQY61 - No Exception ***2018***
14. martym - No exception ***2018***

15. VerbaVolant - one stainless razor.
17. Keen Edge - Blades
20. Howler - No Exception
23 GaryTha - No exceptions
22. JohnYaddy - OneBlade Razor ***2018***
24. AlphaFrank75 – Balm ***2018***

28. T.Orso - Unicorn hair shave brush (60% mane, 40% tail)***2018***
29. Ryanshh - 1 lapping film restock
30. Jamesearthdrum - Spool of PLA filament ***2018***
32. SpannerX - No exception
42. Mtnredhed - No exception***2018***
45. gsurko- No exceptions
48. byDoms - No Exception ***2018***
52. Spookmeister - Christopher Bradley razor
57. MuhleShaver - no exceptions ***2018***
58. CzechCzar - Muhle Rocca
59. Whisky- RazoRock SLOC
60. jldallas - Vintage DE razor
61. Macsen - Thayers Witch Hazel
62. Noodles - Post-shave balm
67. Brian C. - No exception
68. Invicta - No exception
69. Tokyospike - Menthol crystals
72. Heckle - mustache wax
73. FoxInfinitySunset - Synthetic brush***2018***
77. _Stormin_ - No Exception***2018***
79. 5Cantonas - Badger brush***2018***

86. psfred- Nickel plating supplies***2018***
88. mishkaya- No exception.
90. esetter – Variant razor ***2018***
91. Aziraphale - Hallows Soap and AS gift set
93. PhilC - No exception
94. CJB3 - New RR Game Changer release
97.Thomas Darkblade - No exception***2018***
98. dg33 – Shave brush ***2018***

99. Rico Suave - blades
100. Boghopper – Blades

The Opposition: Kasper Gutman Joel Cairo & their Henchmen

1. January 9th Operative No. 103 Bakker1964 - exception Karve OC razor - (OUT - Proraso pre-shave cream)
2. January 13th Operative No. 19 Azwetshaver - exception - strop, (OUT - brush)
3. January 25th, Operative Ruva #36: exception – Witch Hazel. (OUT – Barbersol 100th Anniversary can)
4. February 2nd Operative No. 82 Haggises - Exception: Schick repeater. (Out - David Beckahm Instinct Aftershave)
5. February 4th Operative No. 76 Saxtont47 - Exception witch hazel. (Out - Simpson`s Duke 3 brush)
6. February 4th Operative No. 87 bdehne – No exception. (Out – Volga razor)
7. February 7th Operative No. 92. Mtn.Man – No exception. (Out – shiny BST buy)
8. February 9th Operative No. 44. Slipknot – No exception. (Out – Captains Choice & CRSW shave soap)
9. February 9th Operative No. 63 Clay S - Birth year/quarter razor (out – vintage Avon aftershave bottle for Pinaud Clubman Musk)
10. February 10th Operative No. 84 Hannah’s Dad - British #15 tune-up (out – FatBoy)
11. February 13th Operative No. 85 Sharp’s- Char Gds – (out – Grand Shave King razor)
12. February 13th Operative No. 37 Somnos - Full version: Shaving Buddy app.
(out - mint Aristocrat #66 set + NOS made in England travelling set)
13. February 17th Operative No. 40. Yminoh - No exception. (out – Charcoal Goods razor)
14. February 23rd Operative No. 26 Heron - Exception shave soap. (OUT - Harry's mail order razor)
15. February 24th Operative No. 83. Luecke2326: Exception straight razor. (OUT - EPIC treewhale of a barbers supply)
16. February 24th Operative No. 16. Galaktus: No exception. (OUT - self withdraw)
17. February 24th Operative No. 64 KW Driver: Exception Trac II blades. (OUT - self withdraw)
18. February 26th Operative No. 10 Kevdogg329: Exception Aftershave. (OUT - shave cream & cartridges)
19. March 2nd Operative No. 51. karhu: No exception. (OUT – Rockwell 6S Razor)
20. March 3rd Operative No. 66 Boar Fighter: No exception. (OUT - two synthetic shave brushes)
21. March 4th Operative No. 31 pbrmhl - Exception Charcoal Goods razor. (OUT - 4 bottles Chatillon Lux aftershave)
22. March 7th Operative No. 78 Neffarious: Exception pre-shave. (OUT - Shave Mac 24mm brush)
23. March 9th Operative No. 39 Nick Weepers: Exception Mike’s Bay Rum (OUT – NOS Old Spice soap in mug)
24. March 11th Operative No. 18 SAMB08: Exception Aftershave splash. (OUT – vintage 9/16 Genco Old Dutch straight)
25. March 11th Operative No. 35 deafficianado: No exception (OUT - Raw Shaving razor)
26. March 12th Operative No. 38 Joncr: No exception. (OUT - Gillette Skinguard cartridge)
27. March 15th Operative No. 65 Rev579: Exception 1 Vintage Grail Razor (OUT - 2 vintage ABC razor sets)
28. March 16th Operative No. 70 Dundak: No exception (OUT - mystery blue-light deal)
29. March 23rd Operative No. 2. Rockviper: No exception (OUT - Simpson's synthetic Chubby #2 brush)
30. March 30th Operative No. 55 AZBronco: Exception Tuxedo knot brush. (OUT – Stirling Coconut Lime & Glacial Lemon soap)
31. April 2nd Operative No. 47 Music: Exception Stirling post-shave balm. (OUT - hard to find mystery soap )
32. April 2nd Operative No. 9. Tony D: Exception shave soap. (OUT - binge soap buying)
33. April 6th Operative No. 43 Sotiris_A: No Exception. (OUT - Simpson's best badger brushes)
34. April 8th Operative No. 102 Kluber: Exception Tabac soap. (OUT - MDC soap)
35. April 13th Operative No. 96 StuartT: No exception (OUT - German Ralf Aust 6/8 straight razor)
36. April 14th Operative No. 6 Laird: Exception Cap & Chris restoration & replate New (Self declared -OUT)
37. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 101 Midoio – No exception (OUT)
38. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 81 MarsEnglish - no exception (OUT)
39. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 71 Treebeard - No exception (OUT)
40. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 54 jamiecm - no exception (OUT)
41. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No 46 TreadwayJohnA - No Exceptions (OUT)
42. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 12 barko78 - witch hazel (OUT)
43. April 29th Operative No. 95 tsimmns: Exception OneBlade V1 with a GEM (OUT- shaving cream/soap)
44. May 13th Operative No. 50 ShavingPanda: Exception Tabac aftershave (OUT - Charcoal razor)
45. Jun. 5th Operative No. 74 Shaved Fish: No exception (OUT - shave balm)
46. Jun. 9th Operative No. 41. Andromeda673: No Exception (OUT - shave soap)
47. Jun. 16th Operative No. 75 bjm: No exception (OUT - two boar brushes)
48. Jun. 27th Operative No. 21 emwolf: No exceptions (OUT - adjustable razor in brass)
49. Jul. 2nd Operative No. 89 Kcmodan: Exception 1 zenith horse hair brush (OUT - Kai Captain Excelia)
50. Jul. 4th Operative No. 56. Sabin: No exception (OUT - samples from Maggards)
51. Jul. 8th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 53 Ajwien: no exception (OUT)
52. Jul. 8th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 33 krow: No exceptions (OUT)
53. Jul. 12th Operative No. 49 Jim99: Exception Schick injector blades (OUT - Schick razor & blades)
54. Aug. 3rd Operative No. 27 ‘Bout Time: Exception Tallow & Steel Limited Release (OUT - 2 red & black sets)
55. Aug. 4th Operative No. 34cZed117: Exception Karve OC (OUT - copper shave bowl)
56. Aug. 12th Operative No. 80 Sgemmett: No exception (OUT - Rex Ambassador razor)
57. Aug. 14th Operative No. 25 bobmsp: Exception Grooming Dept. Pre-shave (OUT - 100 blade supply)

Great continuation of the story @Pepin. Sad to see so many people go lately.

I am still in and still chugging along. I was planning on burning through a puck of "Stirling Iced Coffee", however, I am starting to think that I don't get along with menthol. I enjoy the cooling effect but it seems that my shave quality suffers and I am never quite comfortable after. I have since switched to NO Barrbarr and so far am loving the change.

I was nervous about a bathroom remodel (mentioned previously) but a number of other things have come up and it looks like that should be pushed back to a different year.

I'm still enjoying the sabbatical and I am excited to continue figuring out what I like by spending a long time with each part of the experience.

I went camping for a few days, which provided occasion to try something different. Minimalist kit included a Bic Twin Select disposable, in my stash from years back, before my exploration of DE shaving.

Surpisingly great shave from this whisp of a thing. I have been enjoying it in the comforts of home now for the last few days, not to let the blades go to waste when they are still performing well.

IMG_00002950.jpg

Top Bottom