What's new

INFO! 2019 Gold Dollar Mod Competition

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for all the information about what heat does to steel and that you have to be careful. I had forgotten all about this since I have done nothing with steel since my school days. It is very interesting to relearn all this. I am enjoying following this Competition this year.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Yeah, you might be alright. Think positive. Even the littlest modification could be the best.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hmmmmm... figure a week for the razor, three days for the scales, and there is still a slack day for taking pics and basking in glory and accomplishment.

How's everyone coming along? We're more than half way through the time. If you have time show us your progress pics, or at least a teaser. Anybody still on the fence about joining? Now's the time to put up or weep ;)

I got a few razors in and now that I have more then just my GD I've been contemplating some blade work on it... Hmmm

Here's my current progress... it's coming along, albeit slow. I'm working in like 5-10 minute intervals when I get the chance. I'm trying to finish it by father's day as a gift to my dad. I was going to put his initials on it and the cheap knock off "diamond" burrs I have didn't even blemish the test razor. I could buy better ones, but I can also easily acid etch his initials. My concern is that if he ever needs to polish it (chemical polish, to restore shine), will the acid etch come off?

Attachments

• 20190605_084548.jpg
    20190605_084548.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 53
I also went from 3 to 10 this week... the Mrs. knows I have 2 :001_07: I may have a problem lol The first 3 I ordered from someone in the US, but they all came with the leather pouch, did he add those himself? Or are there different options that you can get them included? It's not a big deal, but it is nice to have something to store them in after cleaning them up.

Attachments

• 20190604_183313.jpg
    20190604_183313.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 44
I'm amazed you have done so much while juggling (figuratively speaking) a new baby and everything else you have going on. Thanks for the update!

Still needs a bit of polishing, but it's done.
Scales are Black MOP Kirinite - goal was to match my main badger brush. ATOR style / design. I didn't get a picture of it, but the wedge is orange kirinite for a pop of color.

Honed up to Naniwa 12k, easily popping hairs on HHT the length of the blade.

Top Bottom