What's new

2018 - Your favorite shaving related item of the year

As I look back on 2018 I got to thinking what one item that I acquired last year was my one favorite shaving related thing. Because I participated in the Sabbatical I wasn't allowed to spend any money on anything. I was fortunate enough to win one of the monthly giveaways. Mine included some AS and soap samples along with a new synthetic brush and my favorite thing. I had been using one of the Turkish hammered copper bowls for lathering, but not anymore. That has been replaced with my new Captain's Choice lather bowl in blue.

So what was your favorite shaving related item? Blades, soaps, aftershave or maybe some wisdom you picked up that improved you shaving or life.

That’s tough! I acquired 3 straights that are all a toss up and a cream.

I picked up a Dovo Flowing, Ralph Aust, and JH Henckels Friodur. I’ll go with the Zwilling Friodur. The Friodur is a going blade. It’s very comfortable and sings sweetly.

I got a tub of Castle Forbes Lime cream that is simply amazing. At its cost I thought I’d be stingy with it, but 1/3 fairly level scoop in a baby spoon makes enough lather for a triple pass easily. It smells wonderful, performs wonderfully, and the jar might last the rest of my life.

So....Friodur or Castle Forbes? I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s hard to narrow it down to one I did pick up a Sheraton on Dec 30 of 2017, but didn’t get to shave with until 2018. This razor opened a door I never thought I’d pass through.
So many razors, so many narratives in 2018. But I can thank the person who sold the Sheraton to me.

My only 2018 acquisition. On NYE, I picked up this Wapienica Straight Razor made foe the Polish Army. It isn't anything fancy, but it is my first SR.
20181231_220759.jpg
20181231_220818.jpg

My 34/35 Gillette Aristocrat, love the 38 Sheraton but this A’crat is so smooth it is ridiculous...

My custom brush from Wolf Whiskers. But, more so, is the synthetic knot (SynBad) that seems to provide the best lather for me.

To think that I had this notion that I needed an expensive badger brush...

Proraso red cream. It doesn't dry my skin like the green does, and it has a way better sandalwood scent than Cremo sandalwood.

Yikes, I basically started in 2018, so that's so tough a question.

I guess, though I am again trying other options, I'd have to say BIC Chrome Platinum blades. They've been the best for me for these past few months. Smooth and sharp... Allowing me to try and learn everything else with confidence.

They could remain my preference, we'll have to see. [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Stone Cottage shaving cream sample set...I liked every one of the fragrances! Sharp and clear and fresh, like a day hiking in the woods after a rain and then coming upon an alpine lake.

Greg

M

member 119848

2018 was the year I discovered the Feather Artist Club system. That made me switch from DE to the straight razor style of shaving.

Top Bottom