What's new

2018 Shave Purchase Sabbatical , Snoopy versus The Red Baron

I am trying the restraint again this year (2019).

For those that are still in, any advice ?

Start 3017ing soaps - use one until it's gone. Pretty soon the infatuation with shaving diminishes. The best advice is to stop looking at shaving sites and only show up once in a while to post that you're still in. But I like @rockviper 's response better :)

Start 3017ing soaps - use one until it's gone. Pretty soon the infatuation with shaving diminishes. The best advice is to stop looking at shaving sites and only show up once in a while to post that you're still in. But I like @rockviper 's response better :)
One thing being in the restraint all year did was limit my time on B&B. I find when I’m not always reading threads about new soaps and all, the desire to always try something new does go away.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I still browse the forums quite a bit, especially soaps and such, but my common sense (which I have to consciously bring to the fore) is now stronger than my FOMO.

One thing being in the restraint all year did was limit my time on B&B. I find when I’m not always reading threads about new soaps and all, the desire to always try something new does go away.

+1 unfortunately

It's also an excellent opportunity to browse though the other parts of B&B. You may rekindle a previous interest, or find a whole new one to enjoy while not buying shaving gear. :)

I thought I'd easily cruise to the end of the year but these last 3 weeks might be the hardest of the whole run. I'm selling off 2-3 of my current razors and replacing them with a new one. (My exception in the 2019 sabbatical if I need it.) Even though I'm reducing the number of razors I own, I'm excited at the prospect of a new razor so it's really hard waiting the 3+ weeks to place a WTB in B/S/T or buying online if I find one becomes available. I've come this far so I don't want to bail this close to the finish line!

Last edited:
"Start 3017ing soaps - use one until it's gone. Pretty soon the infatuation with shaving diminishes."

I think this is one of the biggest things I learned during this sabbatical and it's really true for me. When I started concentrating on using up a soap it made me realize how long a soap lasts and my desire to try a whole bunch of different soaps has really diminished if not disappeared. Compared to a lot of people here I don't have that many soaps (7) but what I do have is still going to last me years. I think I'd be perfectily happy with just 1 or 2.

I just got back from 2 weeks of business travel using only a Schick Hydro and travel can of Gillette foamy. The house is still quiet as the wife and kids sleep in on a cold Sunday morning, but I'm looking forward to using a brush, soap, and a nice, sharp, new blade later this morning.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I just got back from 2 weeks of business travel using only a Schick Hydro and travel can of Gillette foamy. The house is still quiet as the wife and kids sleep in on a cold Sunday morning, but I'm looking forward to using a brush, soap, and a nice, sharp, new blade later this morning.
.... and how did you find the Hydro, @AZBronco ? I used the ladies version for the month of September a few years ago, but still had the joy of using soap/cream and a brush.

In other news, today is December 10th (well....... duh!! :a13:)

Why is that important?

It means that we are now 3 weeks away (or a fortnight and a 'alf for us internet-savvy luddites) from the end of the year!

T
.... and how did you find the Hydro, @AZBronco ? I used the ladies version for the month of September a few years ago, but still had the joy of using soap/cream and a brush.

In other news, today is December 10th (well....... duh!! :a13:)

Why is that important?

It means that we are now 3 weeks away (or a fortnight and a 'alf for us internet-savvy luddites) from the end of the year!
The Hydro is a fine utilitarian tool that gets the job done. I went through two carts in two weeks and looked properly presentable for meetings. But I really enjoyed picking a razor (Merkur 37c), brush (AoS badger), soap (WSP barbershop), and aftershave (WSP barbacool) that first day back. I’ve travelled with a brush and soap before, but I don’t like that the brush doesn’t dry before I have to pack up the last day. I had one brush that started heavily shedding after sitting partially wet in a suitcase for the duration of a flight. So I prefer to use travel canned foam now.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I received by PIF package today from Captain’s Choice. I want to say Thank You to all involved. What an incredible gift. My favorites??
The bowl-perfect in size
The Venture Aftershave-awesome smell.

This package included a hand written note from the Captain, shave cream, soap samples, aftershave, balm, a brush, a bowl, blades, aftershave samples, and a partridge in a pear tree!!
Everything was there!
And to a man who lost damn near everything shaving related in the June flood this was beautiful!!
Thank you all so very much!!!
marty

9122D851-A26E-4FAC-9BFA-C882508D34CB.jpeg

F6FAF0E5-EF68-4F3C-886B-855AA0838A18.jpeg

BF48678E-A563-4EFC-8005-0042B4BF407C.jpeg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
And as if that wasn’t enough!!!

I just won a $50 Christmas giveaway from the Captain!!
Is it okay to select items without disqualifying myself since he’s giving it away??
Just wondering
Didn’t want to go out!!
I believe gifts are okay but want to be certain

And as if that wasn’t enough!!!

I just won a $50 Christmas giveaway from the Captain!!
Is it okay to select items without disqualifying myself since he’s giving it away??
Just wondering
Didn’t want to go out!!
I believe gifts are okay but want to be certain
I haven’t gone back to look, but I recall the rules saying gift cards can’t be used... You should just send that prize over to me and I’ll bear the shame of going out in your place.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Congrats @martym ! Don't use the gift card until Jan.01 (if it's going to expire before then, contact Scott as he is aware of our silly Sabbatical thingie here).

I just received an email from Fendrihan that I won one of two prize packs from the Christmas contest. I have no idea if it is the pack containing the beard balm (I can use it on my eyebrows and ears!) or the other one with a shavette. Time will tell!

Top Bottom