What's new

2018 pen pass around

That’s a great help and a practice I will use while trying the pens and inks. @dezmil and I have exchanged information, so we are GTG.
I did receive a Parker IM as a gift yesterday, much to my surprise. I’ve really only shared this new interest with 2 people, one of which who gave me the Jinhao almost a year ago.

OK. The box is on it's way to REV579 and the only other person left would be MonoTiki. I have sent him a message to see if he is still interested or not. If anyone else is interested, you can still sign up! It has been fantastic so far reading everyone's thoughts and takes on the different pens.

List as it stands right now.

REV579 (in transit)
MonoTiki
Heckle
kevdogg329 (end)

So, we got back last night and I'm looking the pens over. Wow. While I was away I was using a Parker IM Premium with a Medium nib. I found I liked the flow and smooth lines of the nib, but it was coming out a little thick for my tastes. FWIW, I used the cartridge that the pen came with.
As I look over the pens for the pass-around, I am a little over-whelmed by the variety:
IMG_3240.JPG
IMG_8418.JPG

I plan on looking through the comments in the thread before I use the pens, if only to be aware of elements I believe are not within the spectrum of what I am looking for at this stage. For example, due to work done on my writing hand, A thick pen presents issues that a thin pen does not, while pens that are too thin come with their own challenges. Also, I have always preferred a .5mm over .7mm pencil or pen unless I am writing in a larger font. I have enjoyed the Parker IM Premium but the Medium nib creates a mess for my notes and entries in my journal/planner. It writes really nicely.
Is there a way to tell, by looking, which nibs are fine and which are medium? Do some pens(in the pass-around) allow the nib to be swapped out?
On a separate note, I am concerned that the transparent 911 has ink inside the baggie. Please advise how I should proceed with that one(or 2).

I am playing catch-up, so as I pour through the thread, and my answers are already posted from previous user, please be patient. I am not new to writing, or writing as a form of expression, but the art of fountain pens and penmanship, I'm very new.

The transparent 911 may just not have been cleaned up all the way, could have been some ink or ink/water left in the feed. I could not tell from the photo, is there any ink cartridge in there? It could just need some additional drying is all.

I noticed that there is an ink container that has some nibs in it(just below the loop). They are similar to some nibs(In the pen-box & on the lid) I was given by my parents 24 years ago...yes, that long ago. (My brother, sister and I sent them to Italy for their 25th anniversary. I got a writing set. 24 years later, it seems I am ready to really use it.) Wha do these nibs go to and where can they be used, other than a dip nib-holder?

IMG_2255.JPG

The transparent 911 may just not have been cleaned up all the way, could have been some ink or ink/water left in the feed. I could not tell from the photo, is there any ink cartridge in there? It could just need some additional drying is all.
When it arrived at my place, one transparent pen had a red cartridge loaded and had leaked. I cleaned it, but did not reload or use it. That may be the pen he is talking about.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am wrapping it all up. I have enjoyed the Metropolitan & 911. I think I will be looking for an Esterbrook J, but I wish the tip was finer. It really fits my hand reconstructed hand well.
Do any of the spare parts fit in the Esterbrook? How do I know what size is in the pen currently?

The Esterbrook is designed with a screw in nib assembly. I got an Esterbrook off of ebay a few months back for around $20 and got a better nib for it for about another $12.

So I think this about wraps up this pen passaround unless anyone else wants to give them a try. MonoTiki was the only one left but he has not been on the forums since June 30th.

OK fellow NIBsters, if there is no more interest in this pass around, then we will call it done! Thanks to everyone who participated, I hope that you all enjoyed it, got to handle some different pens and had a great experience!

If anyone else wants in on this, just let me know and I can ship you out the box. If I don't hear anything by next Tuesday, I will be shipping the box back to kevdogg329.

OK all, I am goign to call this closed! Going to make sure everything is cleaned up and packed back up then sent back on to kevdogg329. It has been fun hearing everyone opinions and experiences with the different pens. This pass around has caused me to get a Wing Sung 3008. I am also going to pick up a Tasche pen and may even try to make it into a pseudo squeeze filler.

The box is home

A couple notes:

The Jinhao 911 was actually the Jinhao 991

The Baoer 388 is actually the Baoer 051

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom