What's new

2018 pen pass around

Original thread is here.

OK everybody, let's do this! Welcome to the 2018 B&B Pen Pass around! This was originally the idea of @kevdogg329 but he had asked if I would help him in keeping track of things. The idea is to be able to try some pens that you would normally not have been able to try before. There are currently 20 pens in this passaround (some multiples), some ink cartridges and some ink samples (Yama-Budo, Diamine Apple Glory, Noodler Eel Blue and J. Herbin 1670 Blue Ocean). This pass around is for NIB related items only!

1. Now, for some ground rules.
  2. Each person keeps the box for 1 week to try out the contents.
  3. After 1 week, you ship it off to the next person and then send a PM to the person and @Heckle with the tracking number.
  4. When trying pens out, make sure they are properly flushed of ink before sending on. If the pen has an ink cartridge in it, leave it in but place it in a small ziplock bag.
  5. Open to US only, sorry.

If you try pens out, it would be nice to share your thoughts with the rest of us. Since we all have different opinions, likes and dislikes, it should be educational!

Now, on with the information!

Here is the list of Pens:
Baoer 388
Esterbrook J
Hero 7022 x2
Hero 448
Hero 226
Hero 926 x2
Hero silver 212
Jinhao x750
Jinhao transparent 911 x2
Jinhao 911 Stainless
Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop
Tasche FF-10T
TWSBI Eco
Wing Sung 3008
Wing Sung 6359
Desk set silver ballpoint
"Manuscript" fountain pen

And of course we can't do this without a teaser picture!

0521182229_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also if you find a pen Mis labeled let us know.

Hoping you all will enjoy this passaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I am not involved in this consumer test I am looking forward to seeing the results and comments from people, including whether their preference is influenced by whether they print or write in cursive.

Would be interested in knowing the nib on the Estie, 2556 perhaps?

And any predictions on the most popular choice? Perhaps the X750 or the Twsbi?

I am finishing up this box and getting everything cleaned and ready to ship out to @KellyG It will not ship out until Tuesday due to the holiday (sorry).

With that said, here are my thoughts on these pens. I did not try all of them since only a few "struck my fancy". Personally, I like pens that are larger in diameter. I just find the smaller pens harder to hold and write with. I already have a Jinhao x450 and x750 as well as a Baoer. These are all the size that I prefer. I have never tried some of the other types so I gave them all a try (mainly by dipping the nib and feed into ink and drawing a little bit up). I think that the Hero converters have a nice feeding system (the slide part) however. For some reason, I do like the Tasche FF-10T. I know, I said I don't like smaller pens and this one definitely fits in that category but, it is different and fits in my tablet case (Surface Pro) very nicely.

I have never tried a TWSBI Eco or the Wing Sung 3008. I like them both and will most likely order a 3008 off of that one auction site since they just run a couple of bucks. I also have my eye on a TWSBI and a Moonman M2. This has been a fun experience and I got to try some pens that I may have never gotten to try!

So as for the list, here is the updated list. If anyone else wants to join this passaround, just cut and paste the list while adding your name to the bottom.

KellyG
ShavePastor
dezmil
Nightcap
r0ckrat
MonoTiki

So as for the packing. I have added some ink samples and a couple pens. I organized the pens and placed each one in a Ziploc snack size bags (the multiples of pens I included in the same bag). The ink samples and extra nibs are in a bag and the extra converters are in their own bag as well. And to make things easier, I have placed a slip of paper in each pen bag with what type it is (a couple are not marked or if unfamiliar). And yes, it all still fits in a small sized USPS flat rate box.

So, what would this post be without some pictures....

0525182010a_HDR.jpg

0525182010b_HDR.jpg

0525182012_HDR.jpg

0525182010_HDR.jpg

Received the box in good shape. I’ve not had an opportunity to try anything yet but there are a few pens I’ve been wanting to try out. Should be interesting. I hope I can get everything back in the box, it was packed well!

I tried out a couple of pens that I might consider buying in the future. Both are Wing Sung; the 3008 piston filler that seems a TWSBI clone and the 6359 that is a Lamy Al Star clone. The 6359 has an EF nib that is truly EF. I filled both with Waterman Mysterious Blue, an ink I consider very well behaved in most any pen. The 6359 wrote well but the ink seemed a bit light with the EF nib. I found the converter to be "cheap" feeling but then again, this is an inexpensive pen. Is it comparable in all respects to an Al-Star, I doubt it. But you can get 20 of the 6359's for the price of one Lamy.
The 3008 with the fine nib wrote quite well. Again, it didn't feel as substantial as my TWSBI 580, but $2.00 compared to $60.00? Even if the 3008 fails after several months, who cares? My TWSBI hasn't been without its own problems. I can see myself buying a few of the 3008's just to have a reliable piston filling pen that I don't mind losing or someone plucking from my desk. One cautionary note on the 3008 - don't post the cap. Doing so makes the piston knob very easy to turn without meaning to - and that is not a good thing.

So I'm sending the box on with a few new ink samples from my Goulet sample stash. Thanks to Heckle & Kevdogg for the opportunity.

I also liked the Wing Sung 3008. In doing some research and comparisons I ran across the Wing Sung 698 which has a type of "stop" on the filler knob which prevents it from turning unless manipulated properly. But the 698 is 5 times the price of the 3008 ($3 vs $15). Yes, I know that the chines pens are not expensive and that is part of it. I would rather misplace a $3 pen than a $15 pen. :) May just end up getting a TWSBI but I like the fact of the stop on the filler knob that the 698 has.

Ok guys I have the box. I opened it up today and discovered..................................a whole new world.

Seriously. I am not even to the level of a NIB newb. I didn't even know what all I was looking at, much less how to use & work it.

Thanks to some youtube searching & few vids on fountain pens for newbs, I at least know some of the basics parts now & how to get ink in it.

So bear with me as this is my first ever experience with this. I'm not normally a "pen" guy beyond carrying a blue Pilot v5 Precise, which I have used exclusively for like 10 years now. I just buy more when the ink is used up. And I love the way it writes. The fountain pens, however, are a new exploration for me.

Thanks @kevdogg329 and @Heckle! I may be needing some help & advice, so thanks for your patience.

You are welcome

Looking forward to the reviews on these pens in the box.

One recommendation would be to use the pilot metropolitan as a base line to compare to

Writing samples are always nice as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with using the Pilot Metropolitan as a baseline. That is a typical entry level pen and preforms well. It will be good to hear the thoughts and opinions of someone new to fountain pens!

If you are not sure about filling a pen, you can always just dip the nib into the ink for a second or two and some ink should get drawn up into the feed. Should be enough to do a little bit of writing with. Fountain pens can be fun to use and will usually get a few looks and comments from the uninitiated. A couple of people I work with call them my "fancy pens".

Top Bottom