What's new

2018-2019 Premier League/Champions League

It's that time of year. As always, I'll be hoping Arsenal take a big step toward challenging for the title. Let's talk football.

I picked up Newcastle as my cross-Atlantic team midway through last season. Mostly because it gives me an excuse to drink Newcastle on Saturday mornings, but also because the fan base seems to be a good fit with my Philadelphia fan background. Would love to attend some league games across the pond one day soon.

At least the Union are giving us a good show this year for a change! The Premier League is my destination viewing on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I settled on Spurs as my team a couple of seasons ago and am sticking to them. I love the youth and energy and hope they can stick with City and Liverpool this year. Both have the makings of being a Colossus.

Nice convincing win for Spurs at Old Trafford on Monday. Harry scores for the second time in August(!) and Lucas Moura seems a good addition from last spring. I know that Spurs caught a lot of flack for adding no one during the summer transfer window, but so far there don't appear to be any repercussions from that. I'm a bit concerned about depth, though, since a whole bunch of their starting XI went deep into the World Cup (Kane, Dele, Dier, Vertonghen, Lloris, Sanchez, Rose, Eriksen, Alderweireld) and those guys are going to need a breather sooner or later.

Unfortunately, I think Spurs title dreams are over already. I was listening to BBC 5 live football phone in yesterday and that also seems to be the opinion of all the panelists as well as them saying their European chances are about zero as well.

One enthusiastic Spurs supporter called in saying that Spurs can win everything this season still, and that they are definitely still able to win the league. The "experts" slaughtered him on air, but I had to admire his belief in his team even if it is misplaced at the moment.

I haven't watched every Spurs match this season, only 3 in fact, but I am still of the opinion that Dier is their major downfall. He is horrid for England, I wouldn't even pick him if it were left up to me (which it should be), and he absolutely isn't good enough to be starting for a top 5 or 6 team in the Premiership. The lad had some talent while growing up with Sporting, but since coming to Spurs he just hasn't progressed at all. I would much rather see them giving Winks a lot of minutes on the pitch this season as they try to win one of the domestic cups.

I picked up Newcastle as my cross-Atlantic team midway through last season. Mostly because it gives me an excuse to drink Newcastle on Saturday mornings, but also because the fan base seems to be a good fit with my Philadelphia fan background. Would love to attend some league games across the pond one day soon.

Unfortunately Newcastle seem to be having many off field problems which has to be effecting results, player bust ups, board room reshuffles, greedy owner, manager freezing out players, etc.

Unless a miracle happens it is looking like a scrap against relegation again for the 2nd magpies (Notts County are the original magpies).

I wonder if they will be able to hold on to Lascelles in January, I read reports he was close to leaving in the summer and his heart doesn't seem to be in it the past couple games I've seen him play. He is a good lad though, met him a few years back.

Unfortunately, I think Spurs title dreams are over already. I was listening to BBC 5 live football phone in yesterday and that also seems to be the opinion of all the panelists as well as them saying their European chances are about zero as well.

One enthusiastic Spurs supporter called in saying that Spurs can win everything this season still, and that they are definitely still able to win the league. The "experts" slaughtered him on air, but I had to admire his belief in his team even if it is misplaced at the moment.

I haven't watched every Spurs match this season, only 3 in fact, but I am still of the opinion that Dier is their major downfall. He is horrid for England, I wouldn't even pick him if it were left up to me (which it should be), and he absolutely isn't good enough to be starting for a top 5 or 6 team in the Premiership. The lad had some talent while growing up with Sporting, but since coming to Spurs he just hasn't progressed at all. I would much rather see them giving Winks a lot of minutes on the pitch this season as they try to win one of the domestic cups.

I have to agree with a lot of this.

I don't follow any Premiership club (my team, if any, is Carlisle United) but I have to say that a good number of the games I have watched on television this season have been some of the best I have ever seen. The play has been fast, often inventive and with a high level of skill.
It's all a far cry from the grunt and thump of British football in former decades, or the keep the ball at all costs strategy some European teams used to employ.

It's been an entertaining title race between Liverpool and City; and between those vying for Champions League next year. But my Gunners are dipping in form at the absolute worst time.

Top Bottom