What's new

2017 - Year of the Cream

Every time that I use Coate's, I get a little sad that this great product is no longer produced. The lathers are great, the scents are great, and I get a great shave every time. Why did this have to happen?

I've been staying on GFT and getting good shaves. This past week with a Slim, Nacets and Voskhods and the wonderful WCS 26mm Synthetic.

Today I was in the upstairs bathroom and happened upon Castle Forbes Lime, a Flare Tip with an old Rapira PL and my trusty travel brush - 18mm

Maybe I loaded too much. Maybe I load GFT too little.
There was a completely different feel to the Castle Forbes - thicker, slicker, protecting - while having a truly great lime scent (it's mellowed a little over the last year, but now it doesn't make my eyes water). Skin feels great afterwards.
In short, I was blown away.
Back to experimenting to see if I can get that good a lather from any of the others.

They are entirely different beasts as creams. There is a much finer line between slick+cushioning and cushioning only with the Creighton's creams, than with CF in my experience. You almost have to 'underlather' the Creighton's creams to keep some of that residual slickness. CF is so dense and compact to begin with that I think you have a lot more leeway with the water to still have slick+cushioning as your end result.

TOBS Grapefruit in the tub acts more like CF. Maybe I'm just picking more up? I seem to be using a lot out of the tubes.

Used Indian Palmolive once last week. Will not use again. Lather is OK but it smells bad.

Used Derby Lemon three times last week. To be perfectly honest I preferred it to GFT. Better scent, better lather window, just as slick, and post shave felt pretty darn good. And it's half the price.

Couple days more with TOBS Grapefruit before I move on to something else. Time to spend a week or two or a month to get to know something before I move into the menthols.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bob, I'll try to underlather the Trumpers. Or use quite a lot more product over and above what I think should be more than enough.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A member told me Castle Forbes is better cream than AoS. I picked up some lavender. Great stuff, but not superior to AoS, imo. The CF is a great performer and awesome post shave face feel, but it is a croap, which is a bit tougher to lather. AoS gets the nod, in my book.

Your post reminded me of the AoS Lavender I bought from Noah. Had completely forgotten about it, now just need to remember where I stashed it.

You can put me in the bucket of people that find CF overrated. Musgo blows it away for performance at a fraction of the cost. I segued from Coate's Rose to GFT Violet. Performance is comparable, but the violet scent isn't as strong as I remembered. I haven't used the cream since about 2010 (I mean in general, this is a new, sealed tube).

Like Pavlov's wet shaving dog, now I needed to dig out the Musgo. I can't agree with you on this one, @beginish. Musgo only stacked up for me on post shave feel and ease of lathering categories. I preferred CF for the shave itself. But thanks for the suggestion. I sill drool the most over AoS. lol

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I've tried many but I keep gravitating back to Speick cream. IMO it's a real sleeper. Great ingredients, lathers like a dream and great post shave feel.

Musgo performed OK, but I couldn't get passed the scent. The performance of Musgo was pretty average in my opinion...

My shaves with Trumper Violet continue to be very good. I am, however, going to stop my 3017 routine and mix up the creams that I use. This will be the first time since 2010 that I have not used a single soap or cream at a time. I will be mixing in my other two creams, Old Spice and Coate's Tea Tree.

Top Bottom