What's new

2017 - Year of the Cream

I have the oud cream, but haven't tried any AoS soaps. I'll have to get off this cream kick for that to happen.

I pronounce "oud" like "food" without the f. I don't think the oud cream smells anything like any of the ouds I have tried (fyi, I love oud oil). It's more of a clean, fresh, young spring wood fragrance, perhaps with some sandalwood hidden in there. But a different sandal than the one they use for their sandalwood cream. It performs like the other fragrances, imo.
That's how I pronounce it too.

Thanks for the oud rundown. The AOS sandalwood is one of my all-time favorite shaving scents so I think I'll stick with that and the ocean kelp.

On a sidenote, not sure if this is common knowledge but Fine's santal absolut afterahave seems to be modeled after the AOS sandalwood. I have a bottle en route and will definitely report back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
...The AOS sandalwood is one of my all-time favorite shaving scents...

On a sidenote, not sure if this is common knowledge but Fine's santal absolut afterahave seems to be modeled after the AOS sandalwood. I have a bottle en route and will definitely report back.

I think you will be very pleased with the scent of the Fine Santal Absolut aftershave, @.soap. . It smells identical(to my nose) to the pucks of AOS Sandalwood Tallow shaving soap that I have a small cache. Good stuff!

This is a great thread, @Haggises! I had started following it early on, but got behind. I just got caught up now. I am normally a soap guy, but, of course, I do have a small collection of creams as well.(imagine that!) I think I shall break out a shaving cream for my shave in the wee hours this morning after work. Now, what cream shall I use? Maybe a Coates cream? Or maybe Ingram? Decisions, decisions...... :001_cool:

I think you will be very pleased with the scent of the Fine Santal Absolut aftershave, @.soap. . It smells identical(to my nose) to the pucks of AOS Sandalwood Tallow shaving soap that I have a small cache. Good stuff!

This is a great thread, @Haggises! I had started following it early on, but got behind. I just got caught up now. I am normally a soap guy, but, of course, I do have a small collection of creams as well.(imagine that!) I think I shall break out a shaving cream for my shave in the wee hours this morning after work. Now, what cream shall I use? Maybe a Coates cream? Or maybe Ingram? Decisions, decisions...... :001_cool:
thanks Rob!

so what was the decision? :)

Thank you! I'll take delivery this evening and hopefully take it for a test drive with the AOS sandalwood.

Decided to try my old tube of Tom's cream last night. I remember this stuff lathering better but for whatever reason it just wasn't working out. I suspect it may have been my B&B boar brush which has never been a good partner for creams in my personal experience.

I ended up salvaging the Tom's with a MWF super later... I think MWF is the perfect partner for a struggling cream lather.

Everything is better with MWF. A few years ago when I was trying to plow through the stockpile, I was regularly superlathering my creams with MWF. It has such a neutral scent that every good-smelling cream is upgraded in performance with a superlather.

I went with Santa Maria Novella this morning with my new Razorock Hawk and I have to tell you... it was one of those perfect combos that just starts your day off right. Finished off with 50/50 Fine Snakebite and Fine Lavender and got a great response from the wife as well. Moments like that are why this becomes a hobby rather than a chore.

The Coate's Shaving Cream is good stuff! I enjoy rose scented soaps and creams, so this was an easy choice early this morning.

Again, great thread and thanks, @Haggises!
Excellent choice!

Been on TOBS Grapefruit for a few days this week. It's really quite good.
I'm estimating it's going down twice as fast as an equivalent sized soap puck. a week of shaves and I think i'll break through to bottom. If I stick with it, right now I think I have Cream ADD.

Fine choice, Rob.

Thank you, sir!

Excellent choice!

Been on TOBS Grapefruit for a few days this week. It's really quite good.
I'm estimating it's going down twice as fast as an equivalent sized soap puck. a week of shaves and I think i'll break through to bottom. If I stick with it, right now I think I have Cream ADD.

And, thank you, sir!

Now, this morning's shave:

SOTD-22jun17-crop.jpeg

I'm still very fickle when it comes to the software for my shaves. I have never been able to 3017 anything up to this point. Captain's Choice 45th Parallel Shaving Cream performed very well for me. It seems to be a fairly concentrated cream.

I can't help but use this brush when I break out a cream. It's a Vie-Long 24mm Silvertip with a short loft and very soft tips. The soft tips, short loft, and nice density makes it perfect for face lathering soft shaving creams!

KMF cool mint this morning.
3 pumps was more than enough for 5 full pace passes if I needed them. I know some think this is a substandard cream, but I have no problems with any aspect of it.

I've decided to do Mystic Waters Brown Windsor next, and took it out for a spin this morning. Let's just say that I'm a bit out of practice lathering things that take a bit more work than creams. It smells great, though, and the postshave feel was fantastic, one of the best around.

Top Bottom