What's new

2017 Shave Purchase Sabbatical , The Year of the Walking Dead

Inspired by the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 Shave Purchase Sabbaticals and all those who were successful, those who are still toughing it out, those who signed up, and those who fell to temptation, we - karhu , Luecke2326 and KQY61 -present the Badger and Blade 2017 Shave Purchase Sabbatical Gentlemanly Restraint thread.

The sabbatical is open to all ascetics, gluttons, minimizers, denizens of the doghouse, hecklers, reformed treewhalers, Darth Lords, trolls, and folks with nothing better to do. We're all about cheap thrills in the sabbatical. Cure your ADs, prime your 3017 campaign, learn your current setup, enjoy what you've got, protect your paychecks: we walk many paths on the same road.

New to restraint? The ground rules are simple: You don't purchase shaving related goods for a calendar year (12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 525,600 minutes). We start when 2016 becomes 2017, and we end when 2017 becomes 2018.

The fine print on the grey areas: Functional maintenance, such as straight razor honing, does not count as a purchased good. Since we're all gentlemen here, we leave it up to you to decide if PIF purchases for others count as purchases.

If a shaving item breaks in restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as a exception (example if the knot comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2017 restraint).

Gifts you receive are also dicey. Because these and other fuzzy areas may pop up, let's agree to be gentlemanly in our appraisal of still in or knocked out. In other words, you're in until you say "I'm out" and you're out if you spent money! If you buy something, announce what you bought so we can get our vicarious thrills at your expense and strike you from the list.

The Rules
  1. Start and end time are based on your local time zone.
  2. Gentlemanly Restraint is restricted to shaving items only, though you can avoid other purchases as well.
  3. No purchases are allowed during the restraint period. NONE. No purchases even if you get a gift card to WCS, ebay, Amazon, etc. If you need something you may trade for it; that's why you are a part of a community that can help you out. This also means that you have enough stuff to see out about 12 months of shaving
    To clarify, not buying anything means not spending money (or redeeming gift cards) on shaving goods, period. This includes blade, cream, soap, brush, scuttle, Bic Comfort Twins, aftershave, stone, strop, lapping film, water heater, and on and on. You get the idea. You spent money on it? You haven't shown restraint.*
  4. Trades will be limited to two trades a month with non Sabbatical entrants (not counting B&B passaround boxes), unlimited with those still in the Sabbatical, as shipping does add up.
  5. If you have to ask for clarification, you probably should not be doing it.

Group exceptions:
ALL Badger and Blade branded items including B&B Group Buys
Sue Moore Memorial Auction items
Badger and Blade contributor badge
January 1-7, 2017 restock window for successful year-long 2016 sabbaticalians (2016GRUCers can restock 12/24-12/31/2016. Those in the December Restraint get Jan 1-3 to restock providing they complete the December restraint successfully.

*Oscar Wilde Clause ("Everything in moderation, including moderation"): If you elect to do so, you may state one specific personal exception when you sign up.

What say you? Are you in?!
:euro::euro:

**Note: This will move to Clubs & Brotherhoods in early January, as signups will have finished.

Last edited by a moderator:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
OK if you want to be in quote and append to the list

Theme of this year is The Walking Dead - Survivors (exception or no) and the Dead (those who have failed)

the List:
1. Karhu - no exceptions.
2. martym - no exceptions.
3, Luecke2326 - ???
4. Captp - An ATT AL razor

If you want to be in quote and append to the list

Theme of this year is The Walking Dead - Survivors (exception or no) and the Dead (those who have failed)

3, Luecke2326 - ???
5. Azwetshaver- Wolfman razor (might as well be no exception
:001_smile)

the List:
3, Luecke2326 - ???
5. Samarijack

the List:
3, Luecke2326 - ???
5. Samarijack

Hey!!! Why did you drop me out. :mad3: I you saying I need more stuff? :lol:

3, Luecke2326 - ???
Samarijack​

3, Luecke2326 - ???
Samarijack​
7. KQY61 - gotta think about an exception....or not....

This will be my Haul Year, meaning fourth in a row. So, I get until Jan 7th to lock down an exception or not. That all depends on what happens starting Jan 1st. ;)

And....I can't seem to get my Number 7 to line up on this tablet.....

Stan

Last edited:
I just snagged a Heljestrand MK31 and have some hones on the way, so I should be in good shape this year, spare a bottle of fine American Blend and platinum aftershaves.

3, Luecke2326 - ???
Samarijack​

I am in

8. Ruckin - not sure about exception yet.

Ruckin.

3, Luecke2326 - ???
Samarijack
9. Vincentchou - no exception

3, Luecke2326 - ???
Samarijack

Stan's alignment issue fixed.
:thumbup:

My AD is thankfully limited to shaving soaps/creams and I should have more than enough to last a whole year. But I will have to use the few days between the actual GRU and the January 1st to stock up on AS/ASB for a whole year.

3, Luecke2326 - ???
Samarijack
10. byDoms - no exception

My problem is that I found out I really like straights and have nearly 30 of them.... Thankfully I'm a shopper and very few of them are over $10-15, but there is a lot of money in them once it's added up!

Top Bottom