What's new

2017 - My Year of Bourbon

Added a new bottle to the stash ...

20170509_193106.jpg

Sampled it last night ... And I'm not going to give a long rundown on my thoughts about it, because typically I like to have it more than once before really giving an opinion.

First thoughts ...

Holy spice ... what an interesting bourbon. Neat, or first poured on ice, there's a whole lot of spice going on, both on the front end and especially on the back end, and it lingers. Nose is light, sweet, slightly fruity ... vanilla, honey maybe? The spice mellowed as it sat on the ice cube. There's a whole lot going on in this bourbon. Not quite sure where it falls on my list at this point ... like I said, I like sipping it on two separate occasions before I give it a rank.

Data Point: Warehouse 5N (or is it SN?), Barrel 54-6V

Fun fact ... Four Roses Single Barrel is now my 9th bottle in my stash. I added a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon that I have primarily used as a mixer. Suppose I should sample that one alone before it's all gone.

Attachments

• 20170509_193106.jpg
    20170509_193106.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
Added a new bottle to the stash ...

View attachment 788072

Sampled it last night ... And I'm not going to give a long rundown on my thoughts about it, because typically I like to have it more than once before really giving an opinion.

First thoughts ...

Holy spice ... what an interesting bourbon. Neat, or first poured on ice, there's a whole lot of spice going on, both on the front end and especially on the back end, and it lingers. Nose is light, sweet, slightly fruity ... vanilla, honey maybe? The spice mellowed as it sat on the ice cube. There's a whole lot going on in this bourbon. Not quite sure where it falls on my list at this point ... like I said, I like sipping it on two separate occasions before I give it a rank.

Data Point: Warehouse 5N (or is it SN?), Barrel 54-6V

Fun fact ... Four Roses Single Barrel is now my 9th bottle in my stash. I added a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon that I have primarily used as a mixer. Suppose I should sample that one alone before it's all gone.

If you enjoy the FR Single Barrel, see if you can get your hands on a Barrel Select. FR makes 10 different mash bills, each quite unique. You can read about them on many websites. I've had several different ones and they are quote good. Some much less spicy due to a lower rye content in the mash bill.

Saw that ... they didn't have any at the store I went to, but I've seen them elsewhere.

I don't mind the spice, but I guess I wasn't expecting QUITE that much, and at such a prolonged level.

Jjking54, in your original post you said that drinking and enjoying Gentleman Jack is what got you started on this quest ... so I want to ask, where would GJ place on your list?
I'm pretty new to American whiskies (I don't enjoy scotch or Irish whiskies at all) but I'm really enjoying the journey so far and I've found that GJ is definitely my favourite. But I've only been drinking it for about 6 months now and was wondering if anyone can tell me which other bourbon or American Whiskey is most similar to GJ so that I can try that too. I've tried Wild Turkey and really didn't enjoy it. JJking54, I'm sorry if I'm hijacking your thread. If I am please let me know and I'll remove this post and start my own thread.

No worries at all ... I appreciate the question, because it makes me think and it keeps me "on task" when it comes to the thread.

Well, the first thing I'd say, is that after starting this and going down this road for five months now, Gentleman Jack isn't really bourbon. Somewhat pedantic I know, but if we really want to make this about bourbon, there it is :)

Anyway ... where would I put GJ on my list? Great question. My first thought is, I haven't had GJ since I started this pursuit, so I'd like to taste it again, but off the top of my head, based on my last "rating" which is this...

1. Angel's Envy
2. Russell's Reserve 10 year
3. Woodford Reserve
4. Basil Hayden's
5. Eagle Rare
6. Elijah Craig
7. New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon

Not ranked yet ... Four Roses Single Barrel.

At this point, I'd put GJ between Basil Hayden's and Eagle Rare, with the caveat that I haven't ranked the Four Roses Single Barrel and I will probably move Elijah Craig once I give it another taste or two.

And another caveat, which is obvious, but this is all very subjective. Lots of people love Eagle Rare, and while I like it, it's not what I prefer in a bourbon. That said, it's a damn good bourbon, I just like others better. GJ is the first whiskey I ever really enjoyed straight, and while it's good, I now think there are lots better tasting bourbons out there than GJ.

It's kind of hard for me to suggest a bourbon that is similar to GJ, because I'm not that confident in my tasting skills yet. I would suggest moving to something like Basil Hayden's, which is known as a "beginner" bourbon, as a way to expand your collection and bourbon experience. I really enjoyed BH.

I know you said you didn't like Wild Turkey, but I'd very much recommend Russell's Reserve 10 year as well. That one was very enjoyable to me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, no new bourbons yet ... been crazy. We're in the process of moving into a new house, so we moved a bunch of stuff last weekend, and we finish this weekend, but in the meantime I've been setting up my home office.

Ignore the wallpaper ... it's destined for the garbage eventually.

View attachment 717323

In response to the other thread here, about bringing drinking back to the office ... I have :) There are perks to having a home office :)

My son made that cutting board for me and gave it to me for Christmas in 2015 ... it was on my bar at the old house, so for now, it's in a perfect location.

Incidentally, I tried the Eagle Rare again last night ... and really gave it time with the single big ice cube ... made a huge difference.
That cutting board is great, and even better that your son made it. A belated congratulations on the new house

Well ... I tried Eagle Rare again the other night, and there's something about it that I just don't like all that much. I keep waiting and waiting for it to change ever so slightly as it sits on ice, and it just doesn't. And I don't like it neat, because to me it's too syrupy.

It's not a bad bourbon ... it's just not for me.

I did have some Russell's Reserve again ... and it's still a fantastic dram.

1. Angel's Envy
3. Woodford Reserve
4. Basil Hayden's
5. Elijah Craig
6. Four Roses Single Barrel - re-ranking is possible on this one. Still evaluating
7. Eagle Rare
8. New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon

Have you tried Buffalo Trace yet? Same maker as Eagle Rare. I recently revisited Buffalo Trace and In my opinion BT is better than ER. Also pretty good price at around 24-30 bucks. Also Evan Williams Single Barrel should be on your list. At $20 bucks a bottle for a single barrel it is possibly one of the best deals in bourbon.

Have you tried Buffalo Trace yet? Same maker as Eagle Rare. I recently revisited Buffalo Trace and In my opinion BT is better than ER. Also pretty good price at around 24-30 bucks. Also Evan Williams Single Barrel should be on your list. At $20 bucks a bottle for a single barrel it is possibly one of the best deals in bourbon.

I have not tried BT yet ... but it's on the list. May be my next purchase actually.

Special Occasions:
Orphan Barrel Lost Profit - taken neat (22years and going) - $125ish

My Go to:
Woodford Reserve - light on the ice - $35-40ish

Lower Well:
Jim Beam Black, Makers, Knob Creek - light on the ice -$20ish

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I saw the thread title and thought ... "funny how it takes a guy until 3017 to work through a couple dozen pucks of shave soap, but give him a boatload of bourbon and he'll have that tackled by New Year's Eve."

I saw the thread title and thought ... "funny how it takes a guy until 3017 to work through a couple dozen pucks of shave soap, but give him a boatload of bourbon and he'll have that tackled by New Year's Eve."

:w00t:

The difference is you can only shave once a day.... :a8::thumbup:

1. Angel's Envy
3. Woodford Reserve
4. Basil Hayden's
5. Elijah Craig
6. Four Roses Single Barrel - re-ranking is possible on this one. Still evaluating
7. Eagle Rare
8. New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon

An update of sorts ... I haven't abandoned this ... but after a physical earlier in the year I've been on a diet and exercise regimen of sorts and I have curtailed my drinking quite a bit. I've also lost just shy of 20 pounds and I'm aiming to go even lower, so my drinking is still pretty limited.

Since the above post I've added a few new bourbons to my collection ... Buffalo Trace, Old Forester (86 proof), Knob Creek and most recently, Larceny. The OF has mostly been mixed, as has the BT. The Knob Creek and the Larceny I've not yet really sampled yet. Oh yeah ... I forgot that bottle of Bulleit I mentioned above, but that one was sort of lost in a haze right before my physical and it was killed off in short order. I'll have to get a new bottle.

I'm sure as the weather gets colder I'll be sampling a little more :)

Top Bottom