What's new

2017 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Spring

The 1st day of Winter is December 21, which means the days will slowly start to get longer and we can once again count the days until Spring. Welcome to the...

The 2017 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Spring !

For some a quarterly restraint might just be what the doctor ordered - a few months of using and enjoying what you have instead of chasing after the next horizon. For others, well we just don't need very much and enjoy participating in a fun challenge. If this is your first time at a restraint, please read through the rules carefully, and feel free to ask any questions you have.

​Dates chosen for 2017:

• GRU Spring: Jan 1st - Mar 19th
  • GRU Summer: Apr 1st - Jun 19th
  • GRU Fall: Jul 1 - Sept 21
  • GRU Christmas: Oct 1st - Dec 23rd

THE RULES:​

1. GRU Spring starts at 12:00:00am (local time) on January 1st, 2017, and ends at 11:59:59pm (local time) on March 19, 2017.
  2. Gentlemanly Restraint is restricted to shaving items only, but if you want to you can try not purchasing whatever other AD's you may have (NIB, Brown Leaf, etc.)
  3. No purchases are allowed during the restraint period (except the Exceptions listed below). NONE. No purchases even if you get a gift card to WCS, eBay, Amazon, etc. If you need something you may trade for it - that's why you are part of a community that can help you out. This also means that you should have enough stuff to see out about 3 months of shaving.
  4. Trades will be limited to two trades a month with non-Sabbatical entrants (not counting B&B passaround boxes), unlimited with those still in the Sabbatical, as shipping does add up.
  5. Last but not least, bidding and winning any shaving-related items on any auctioning site will render you OUT. This includes auctions that will close after the end of the restraint. If you're still in the Restraint and you put a bid on an item and win, you're out.
There are five exceptions to the purchasing of items (see rule #5 above):

1. B&B Group Buys or B&B Branded Items, because some are limited edition and all are good deals. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. The annual Mr. Bingle exchange is also exempt.
  2. One named item of your choice. This is your personal exception. You must name the item before the start of Gentlemanly Restraint. It has to be relatively specific; no blanket statements qualify (e.g. "a razor or a brush" is too vague"). Use your best judgement here.
  3. Sue Moore Auction Items. This is a great cause and we should all try to participate in it if possible.
  4. For the anyone participating in the previous monthly restraint, January 1-3 is allocated for making any and all shaving-related purchases as long as you've successfully completed the September monthly restraint.
  5. Items you purchase as gifts for others are allowed. You are not allowed to buy solicited gifts for other members of the restraint.
There are no prizes for making or breaking the pledge, but it's a matter of keeping your word and making a commitment. If nothing else your wallet will be better off.

BE PREPARED:

Below is a list of shaving items to check before January 1st or the end of your restock window!!

• Soap, razors, blades, brushes, After Shave, After Shave Lotion, Balms, alum block, pre/post scrub, and:
  • styptic pencils are a good start.
  • A travel kit stocked with a disposable razor, and all accessories to travel, just in case. Keep in mind it is against TSA regulation to bring DE/SE/straight blades in your carry-on.
  • Cleaning supplies to clean any traded razors during restraint. Rubbing alcohol, Scrubbing Bubbles, Barbacide etc. as they count as shaving purchases.
  • Stands, stain, or anything needed to restore brushes stands etc.
  • And anything else you might need for shaving.
If you are serious about making it through the quarter I highly recommend: How_to_Survive_a_Restraint

HOW TO PARTICIPATE:

Please copy the list below and add your name to the bottom of the current list with your exception.

We will maintain the list of entrants throughout the restraint period and we'll use this thread to help each other out like in other restraints. Feel free to chat or post pics of your shave of the day, of your pre and post restraint purchases, of what dropped you out of restraint if you don't make it, and please encourage each other to continue on to the end.

IF YOU FAIL THE RESTRAINT BY PURCHASING AN ITEM PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU PURCHASED HERE IN THE THREAD!

THE LIST:

1. mr_eleven - No exception

2. Heron - no exception

I might as well do the quarterly since I'm already in the yearly!

Last edited:
THE LIST:

2. Heron - no exception
3. Patman27 - No exception

My reason for joining is my daughter turned 2 and we are turning my bathroom into her bathroom. Instead of a whole bathroom I now have a drawer. So my goal is to downsize the software so I don't have to get rid of any hardware. Also, my birthday is in March so a celebratory birthday gift would be in order!

Yeah, I'll try again; I was blind-sided by Martin de Cendre Rose.

2. Heron - no exception
4. Vespasian - Fine Citrus AS

Trying my first restraint. Could use it about now ;)

2. Heron - no exception
5. LoungeLizard - Paladin Brush

The 1st day of Winter is December 21, which means the days will slowly start to get longer and we can once again count the days until Spring. Welcome to the...

The 2017 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Spring !

For some a quarterly restraint might just be what the doctor ordered - a few months of using and enjoying what you have instead of chasing after the next horizon. For others, well we just don't need very much and enjoy participating in a fun challenge. If this is your first time at a restraint, please read through the rules carefully, and feel free to ask any questions you have.

​Dates chosen for 2017:

• GRU Spring: Jan 1st - Mar 19th
  • GRU Summer: Apr 1st - Jun 19th
  • GRU Fall: Jul 1 - Sept 21
  • GRU Christmas: Oct 1st - Dec 23rd

THE RULES:​

1. GRU Spring starts at 12:00:00am (local time) on January 1st, 2017, and ends at 11:59:59pm (local time) on March 19, 2017.
  2. Gentlemanly Restraint is restricted to shaving items only, but if you want to you can try not purchasing whatever other AD's you may have (NIB, Brown Leaf, etc.)
  3. No purchases are allowed during the restraint period (except the Exceptions listed below). NONE. No purchases even if you get a gift card to WCS, eBay, Amazon, etc. If you need something you may trade for it - that's why you are part of a community that can help you out. This also means that you should have enough stuff to see out about 3 months of shaving.
  4. Trades will be limited to two trades a month with non-Sabbatical entrants (not counting B&B passaround boxes), unlimited with those still in the Sabbatical, as shipping does add up.
  5. Last but not least, bidding and winning any shaving-related items on any auctioning site will render you OUT. This includes auctions that will close after the end of the restraint. If you're still in the Restraint and you put a bid on an item and win, you're out.
There are five exceptions to the purchasing of items (see rule #5 above):

1. B&B Group Buys or B&B Branded Items, because some are limited edition and all are good deals. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. The annual Mr. Bingle exchange is also exempt.
  2. One named item of your choice. This is your personal exception. You must name the item before the start of Gentlemanly Restraint. It has to be relatively specific; no blanket statements qualify (e.g. "a razor or a brush" is too vague"). Use your best judgement here.
  3. Sue Moore Auction Items. This is a great cause and we should all try to participate in it if possible.
  4. For the anyone participating in the previous monthly restraint, January 1-3 is allocated for making any and all shaving-related purchases as long as you've successfully completed the September monthly restraint.
  5. Items you purchase as gifts for others are allowed. You are not allowed to buy solicited gifts for other members of the restraint.
There are no prizes for making or breaking the pledge, but it's a matter of keeping your word and making a commitment. If nothing else your wallet will be better off.

BE PREPARED:

Below is a list of shaving items to check before January 1st or the end of your restock window!!

• Soap, razors, blades, brushes, After Shave, After Shave Lotion, Balms, alum block, pre/post scrub, and:
  • styptic pencils are a good start.
  • A travel kit stocked with a disposable razor, and all accessories to travel, just in case. Keep in mind it is against TSA regulation to bring DE/SE/straight blades in your carry-on.
  • Cleaning supplies to clean any traded razors during restraint. Rubbing alcohol, Scrubbing Bubbles, Barbacide etc. as they count as shaving purchases.
  • Stands, stain, or anything needed to restore brushes stands etc.
  • And anything else you might need for shaving.
If you are serious about making it through the quarter I highly recommend: How_to_Survive_a_Restraint

HOW TO PARTICIPATE:

Please copy the list below and add your name to the bottom of the current list with your exception.

We will maintain the list of entrants throughout the restraint period and we'll use this thread to help each other out like in other restraints. Feel free to chat or post pics of your shave of the day, of your pre and post restraint purchases, of what dropped you out of restraint if you don't make it, and please encourage each other to continue on to the end.

IF YOU FAIL THE RESTRAINT BY PURCHASING AN ITEM PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU PURCHASED HERE IN THE THREAD!

THE LIST:

I am just in the process of submitting an order for a razor replate job. The order will be placed before January 1st, but no money changes hands until the job is complete, probably some time in March. Does that disqualify me?

Since I am in for the whole year, I join this one as well.

I will use the time between Christmas and the New Year to restock AS/ASB, but soap/cream wise, I should be fine for a whole year.

2. Heron - no exception
6. byDoms - No exception

I'm in too:

2. Heron - no exception
6. byDoms - No exception

7. JamesNW - no exceptions

I am just in the process of submitting an order for a razor replate job. The order will be placed before January 1st, but no money changes hands until the job is complete, probably some time in March. Does that disqualify me?

If you use this as your exception it will not put you out, or disqualify you.

:sailor:

2. Heron - no exception
6. byDoms - No exception

8. KQY61 - exception TBD by 1/7/17

Yes, I get until January 7th to see just what I can't source during my Restock Week after coming off the 2016 year-long.

Stan

icon1.png

2. Heron - no exception
6. byDoms - No exception

9. sandstone - Red Tip replate​

2. Heron - no exception
6. byDoms - No exception

9. sandstone - Red Tip replate
10. Pepin - Jewel/Streamline SE set

2. Heron - no exception
6. byDoms - No exception

11. bobmsp - exception TBD by 1/7/17

2. Heron - no exception
6. byDoms - No exception
12. Bryant - No exception

Well folks - there's not much time (approx 16 hours PT) to sign up for this restraint. A small but committed group I'm sure. I'm not sure if there's a Monthly Restraint for January... if anyone has seen it please let me know. However the Yearly Restraint looks like it has quite a few folks signed up. It's over here if anyone's interested.

In any case...

$happy new year gift with massege.png

#4 Vespasian, fit and raring to go. I ordered my Fine Italian Citrus AS, my exception, so nothing else for three months. Bring it on!

I'm in the yearly, so I might as well do the quarterly:
2. Heron - no exception
6. byDoms - No exception
12. Bryant - No exception
13. pbrmhl - Timeless open comb razor

Hey guys! Please add me to the list!!

I was seriously considering "The Year of The Walking Dead" but simply do not think I have the willpower.

With your help, I think I can make this one!

Top Bottom