What's new

2017 Formula 1 season thread

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Thread has been dead for a while, but hey- it's time for Monaco. It's the one day of the year I'm not Mr. Vegas. :001_tt2:

A Ferrari lockout? Didn't see that coming.

it was fun to watch, but it seems that Hamilton has been doing an OK job being a lurker and Ferrari a bit over confident. I would like to see Kimi do it this time. He is due

ouch

Good race. Bummer for Kimi, but in the long run I think Sebastian has a much better chance of fending off Lewis, so I'll take it.

Anyone catch that awful looking wreck at Indy today? How the heck did he nonchalantly walk out of that car?

Indeed good race, I had a feeling Ferrari's strategy would have Kimi a little hot, but them again how can you tell he looks like that all the time, LOL Nice to see Haas in the points for both cars. Good for Vettle and the Tifosi for sure, and at Monaco no less!!

I've a question, I've only been watching F1 religiously for 4 or 5 years now. Something I am wondering; since Vettel went to Ferrari he seems to have become afflicted with 'Italian Machisimo.' Short tempered, under pressure to perform from above or self inflicted. This wasn't the Sebastian I remember from Red Bull during this short period of time that I'd been watching. Is it just me?

I think he had a little bit of a petulant streak earlier in his career. Maybe the change from petulance to machismo is just a manifestation of getting older and holding multiple championships.

On a different note, I spent much of last night watching highlight videos from 20-25 years ago, and I think everything about the sport was better then... cars, drivers, races, everything. The same could be said for NASCAR, IndyCar, and NHRA.

ouch

I've a question, I've only been watching F1 religiously for 4 or 5 years now. Something I am wondering; since Vettel went to Ferrari he seems to have become afflicted with 'Italian Machisimo.' Short tempered, under pressure to perform from above or self inflicted. This wasn't the Sebastian I remember from Red Bull during this short period of time that I'd been watching. Is it just me?
Ask Mark Webber.:001_tt2:

It's going to get really chippy before the end of the year. Lewis is going to win it.

@Traveling Man I'd go with the idea that it was a more wild age of development back then. I also remember it was the time the camero IROCs were envisioned and brought out. Thus the beginning of all things equal but skill and wilyness of the drivers + a great pit crew & strategic minded owner. I believe regulated restrictions - the concept of common restrictions - force development along the lines of arc left. This could be why carbon fiber development has been so prolific and (though you can't prove it) why such materials are so much less expensive today. No, you and I wont have autoclaves the size of pickup trucks, nor budgets for the resin, electricity and maintenance to craft with ... but... we might have some benefits as 3-d printing continues to develop exotic materials process. Engine / power unit development are at a phenomenal pace vice what was possible in days Corporate Oil restricted implementation. Last the silicon revolution completely changed combustion management, aerodynamics, and live real time telemetry. Still all and all; big (HUGE) money and corporate interests. Yet, we aren't seeing Boeing, McD-D, et all playing at this level. (More than likely due to restrictions of intellectual property assigned DoD status.)

@ouch anyone write a good history of those days? I know it's recent but I'm not queued in to who was witnessing it and told the tale with a fair and even hand.

A1 (Redbull Ring)
makes one wonder what got into Valtteri today - I'd love to see him do that start often!
he was what? 1/10th of a second from being ruled 'anticipation'?
as to tyre wear today; I'm suggesting an interested third party with neutron tactical weapons irradiated the area and degraded the entire Perelli stock on the grounds! nobody knew what to expect today and everyone was blistering - something not seen (until we all started talking about how dang durable the treads were!).

ouch

Awful day for Ferrari at Singapore, but I blame Vettel for this one. Kimi made an unbelievable start (perhaps too good, in his own words) coming around the left side of Max. Vettel swung left to prevent Max from getting position for a faster line through the first corner, but I don't think he realized that he needed to leave two cars width of space, leaving neither Kimi nor Max anywhere to go.

With some high speed, Mercedes favoring circuits coming up, Ferrari could hardly afford such a gaff on a circuit tailor made for them.

Top Bottom