What's new

2016 Shave Purchase Sabbatical, The Year of Looney Tunes

Inspired by the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 Shave Purchase Sabbaticals and all those who were successful, those who are still toughing it out, those who signed up, and those who fell to temptation, we --Kevdogg329, Rusty Blade, rockviper, Jedi Master KQY61, -present the Badger and Blade 2016 Shave Purchase Sabbatical Gentlemanly Restraint thread. The sabbatical is open to all ascetics, gluttons, minimizers, denizens of the doghouse, hecklers, reformed treewhalers, Darth Lords, trolls, and folks with nothing better to do. We're all about cheap thrills in the sabbatical. Cure your ADs, prime your 3017 campaign, learn your current setup, enjoy what you've got, protect your paychecks: we walk many paths on the same road.

New to restraint? The ground rules are simple: You don't purchase shaving related goods for a calendar year (12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 525,600 minutes). We start when 2015 becomes 2016 and we end when 2016 becomes 2017

The fine print on the grey areas: Functional maintenance, such as straight razor honing, does not count as a purchased good. Since we're all gentlemen here, we leave it up to you to decide if PIF purchases for others count as purchases.

If a shaving item breaks in restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as a exception (example if the knot comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2016 restraint).

aGifts you receive are also dicy. Because these and other fuzzy areas may pop up, let's agree to be gentlemanly in our appraisal of still in or knocked out. In other words, you're in until you say "I'm out" and you're out if you spent money! If you buy something, announce what you bought so we can get our vicarious thrills at your expense and strike you from the list.

1. Start and end time are based on your local time zone.
  2. Gentlemanly Restraint is restricted to shaving items only, though you can avoid other purchases as well.
  3. No purchases are allowed during the restraint period. NONE. No purchases even if you get a gift card to WCS, ebay, Amazon, etc. If you need something you may trade for it; that's why you are a part of a community that can help you out. This also means that you have enough stuff to see out about 12 months of shaving
    To clarify, not buying anything means not spending money (or redeeming gift cards) on shaving goods, period. This includes blade, cream, soap, brush, scuttle, Bic Comfort Twins, aftershave, stone, strop, lapping film, water heater, and on and on. You get the idea. You spent money on it? You haven't shown restraint.*
  4. Trades will be limited to two trades a month with non Sabbatical entrants (not counting B&B passaround boxes), unlimited with those still in the Sabbatical, as shipping does add up.
  5. If you have to ask for clarification, you probably should not be doing it.

Group exceptions:
ALL Badger and Blade branded items including B&B Group Buys
Sue Moore Memorial Auction items
Badger and Blade contributor badge
January 1-7, 2016 restock window for successful year-long 2015 sabbaticalians (2015GRUCers can restock 12/24-12/31/2014. Those in the December Restraint get Jan 1-3 to restock providing they complete the December restraint successfully.

*Oscar Wilde Clause ("Everything in moderation, including moderation"): If you elect to do so, you may state one specific personal exception when you sign up.

What say you? Are you in?!
:euro::euro:

1. kevdogg329 Dr Harris Soap​

Last edited by a moderator:
This is awesome...and perfect timing. I don't think my shaving soap/cream shelf could handle one more puck or tub. Sign me up! I have enough of everything to last me a year...easily! Looking forward to the challenge. I am a one razor (Gillette Heavy Tech) and one blade (Astra SP) kind of guy. My AD is soaps and creams and this is the year to make a serious dent in my collection.

I'll clean that up a bit, but Rusty did comment first so I agree with this order:

1. kevdogg329 Dr Harris Soap
2. Rusty Blade No exceptions
aspirin54 No exceptions​

Good luck guys. I plan to sit this one out and return in 2017, when Kevdogg goes for two years in a row!
Den needs some updating in 2016.

It's tempting to join, but I'll have to see if I succeed with the December GRUME, and then of course be able to pick up a few more supplies in the allotted window. So I'll wait a few weeks to fully decide. A full year seems like an interesting challenge, to say the least!

Too bad. Was hoping you would join us, and be this years ACME supplier :)
proxy.php

Maybe near year :)

Okay will try it again. This year I did find some nice razors (lather catcher) which knocked me out.
Switching my usual exception .. maybe I will find one :001_smile

aspirin54 No exceptions
4. Pepin Jewel/Star SE

Hi,

Acme shaving supplies?? They would cut your head right off! :p

I will list my exception as up to 29 OC razors so I can properly participate in OCtober. ;)

Stan

Okay guys, I'm in. I went way overboard with new soaps this year so I may be in these things until 2020.
No exceptions.

3. aspirin54 No exceptions
4. Pepin Jewel/Star SE
5. Occamsbadger No exceptions

I'm in. My first attempt at a full year sabbatical. My confidence level in succeeding is quite low.

4. Pepin Jewel/Star SE
6. snowman - ATT slant

I'm tempted to sign up now despite a small worry about whether I'd be able to fully do it or not, but I have one really big question:

The bit about no bidding on eBay, is that JUST for shaving gear? I have to ask because otherwise my other hobby would probably have me fail in the first two weeks of January if some juicy piece of tech on my benching wishlist came up for a good price.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
4. Pepin Jewel/Star SE
6. snowman - ATT slant
7. martym-no exceptions

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
4. Pepin Jewel/Star SE
6. snowman - ATT slant
7. martym-no exceptions
8. captp - same as 2015. Purchases for Active Duty PIFs

I'm tempted to sign up now despite a small worry about whether I'd be able to fully do it or not, but I have one really big question:

The bit about no bidding on eBay, is that JUST for shaving gear? I have to ask because otherwise my other hobby would probably have me fail in the first two weeks of January if some juicy piece of tech on my benching wishlist came up for a good price.

Only bidding on shaving supplies on ebay puts one out. Bid on fountain pens and ink :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Acme shaving supplies?? They would cut your head right off! :p

I will list my exception as up to 29 OC razors so I can properly participate in OCtober. ;)

Stan

Lol.

You have the first week in January to buy 28 and list one as an exception.

Top Bottom