What's new

2015 Online Purchase Sabbatical

So my r stock came in. Used the tcheon fung sing neroli this morning...what an amazing soap with an astounding scent! Can't wait to try the tobacco Verde tomorrow. Only problem is I have absolutely zero as options that complement it.....DR Harris Windsor on top of the Neroli was....the wrong choice.

One aftershave (Pinaud Citrus Musk) came in yesterday's mail. Three more orders are arriving today (RR Aftershaves, Gillette Guards, Pitralon Classic, Superior 70). Left on deck to arrive are Halson z-14, Stirling aftershaves, Symmetrical Pottery Shaving Bowl, a full set of Haslinger Soaps, and some Mandom aftershave from Japan.

So, I found out yesterday that my employment situation is in a state of flux... so really not tempted now on anything that isn't required for purchasing. heh

Sorry to hear about that, Dustin. Hope things work out for you and some solid options come through for you.

Ya, nothing worse then worring about making ends meet, but sounds like you have things well at hand. Hope things well go smoothly and you can find something in house.

And my Aftershave AD was just broken today.

I'm bummed. It was the one thing I was enjoying splurging on. I got 6 of them in the mail today (Superior 70, Pitralon Classic, and 4 RazoRock) and I really only like the Pitralon. Superior is ok, but too similar to Masters that I already have. I have ordered lots of Aftershaves online going off of research or just wild guesses and only had one I didn't care for. Now I have 5 more. Made me realize how much I like the ones I currently have. I'm bummed about the RazoRock ones (RazoRocktober, One X, XX, and Don Marco). I love their soaps, but I don't care for these 4 and already got rid of Evil Eye. I guess I just don't like the aftershaves. I'll stick with Captain's Choice. Still want to get their North and Sandalwood.

But, all that said, I guess I'm done buying Aftershaves online. Only in person or sample size first.

I'm bummed. It was the one thing I was enjoying splurging on. I got 6 of them in the mail today (Superior 70, Pitralon Classic, and 4 RazoRock) and I really only like the Pitralon. Superior is ok, but too similar to Masters that I already have. I have ordered lots of Aftershaves online going off of research or just wild guesses and only had one I didn't care for. Now I have 5 more. Made me realize how much I like the ones I currently have. I'm bummed about the RazoRock ones (RazoRocktober, One X, XX, and Don Marco). I love their soaps, but I don't care for these 4 and already got rid of Evil Eye. I guess I just don't like the aftershaves. I'll stick with Captain's Choice. Still want to get their North and Sandalwood.

But, all that said, I guess I'm done buying Aftershaves online. Only in person or sample size first.

That's a bummer, but it gives you some trade fodder with the AS's. I have the RR XX soap and never thought to look for a matching AS. lol

I agree that samplers are a great way to go!

With all your bay rums, you might consider whipping up some Bootlegger's Bay Rum. There are recipes in the Aftershave forum.

While I have spent a boggling amount of money in this hobby that's supposed to save us money, I have saved quite a bit by buying samples and finding out the cheap way that certain products I don't like or are just average to me.

While I have spent a boggling amount of money in this hobby that's supposed to save us money

lol OK, so just cause I can, I am going to give my take on this...

Converting to some form of non-cartridge wet shaving will save you money, and give better results. However, once something becomes a hobby, as this does for the majority of us here, saving money no longer applies, but the money spent should also be viewed differently. It would come out of your "entertainment" or "Hobby" budget, not the household budget like the old shaving items used to. So just keep that in mind when you calculate the money thing. How much would you spend on any other hobby/interest?

While you sought this all out to save money on your shaving, you found a relaxing enjoyable pursuit worth as much as you want to invest in it. :)

Converting to some form of non-cartridge wet shaving will save you money, and give better results. However, once something becomes a hobby, as this does for the majority of us here, saving money no longer applies, but the money spent should also be viewed differently. It would come out of your "entertainment" or "Hobby" budget, not the household budget like the old shaving items used to. So just keep that in mind when you calculate the money thing. How much would you spend on any other hobby/interest?

While you sought this all out to save money on your shaving, you found a relaxing enjoyable pursuit worth as much as you want to invest in it. :)

I agree 100%. My post was tongue in cheek, a bit of humor. Your's hit the nail on the head.

With all your bay rums, you might consider whipping up some Bootlegger's Bay Rum. There are recipes in the Aftershave forum.

I will be making the basic one. Not sure how many of them I will get to.

Very well said..........

Hi,

I never used the carts. Except what showed up in the mailbox for free. So, I was always saving money.

Then, I wound up working away from home. Needed another mug and a couple razors so I could fly back and forth without needing to carry anything. Needed a couple razors, mind you.

So, I bought a couple off eBay. Got something I had not seen before. Went searching for info. Found it. Here. B+B.....

Next thing I know, I find out about This, That and the Other Thing. Have to buy them to try them, of course. Buy, buy, buy. Try, try, try.

So, by GRUC 13, I do need to Stop. Then, re-evaluate. Then pass on some stuff. GRUC 13 was not nearly enough restraint, so did all of 14. Now, continue for 15.

I probably had it licked, given how I could not motivate myself during the restock period. But, I am already signed up so..... ;)

Stan

Hi,

I never used the carts. Except what showed up in the mailbox for free. So, I was always saving money.

Then, I wound up working away from home. Needed another mug and a couple razors so I could fly back and forth without needing to carry anything. Needed a couple razors, mind you.

So, I bought a couple off eBay. Got something I had not seen before. Went searching for info. Found it. Here. B+B.....

Next thing I know, I find out about This, That and the Other Thing. Have to buy them to try them, of course. Buy, buy, buy. Try, try, try.

So, by GRUC 13, I do need to Stop. Then, re-evaluate. Then pass on some stuff. GRUC 13 was not nearly enough restraint, so did all of 14. Now, continue for 15.

I probably had it licked, given how I could not motivate myself during the restock period. But, I am already signed up so..... ;)

Stan
That is actually a fairly unique story on how someone found B&B. lol Very cool

#11 is checking in.

I got my Mongoose and Edwin Jagger STF XL from a last year's order.
The only old open two orders are 100 Sputnik and a TGC brush, being already four months on it's way going three times across the pond. :thumbdown

Last edited:
Top Bottom