What's new

2014 Scent/Fragrance of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Russian Tea
by Masque Milano

mint, raspberry, pepper, tea, magnolia, immortelle, leather, incense, birchwood, cistus labdanum

Remember when Tuscan Leather was the only one of its kind? There were other leathers out there but nothing remotely as intoxicating, nothing of this ilk with raspberries and cocaine in the mix, nothing that made you feel so "dirty" in the best way possible. Then along came Charles Street and Clive Christian C for men and suddenly TL wasn't so unique. Now we have Russian Tea. At least RT has progression. While I find TL, CSt, and CC-C all fairly linear, Russian Tea is at least full of surprises, starting with a strange fruity-floral opening that picks up strong rubbery anisic notes before turning into the leather of legend. This is perhaps the most notable aspect of RT - the twists and turns it takes before becoming what it is - and a great time to segue into the story behind the perfume - the journey tea takes in Russia to become a revered cultural tradition. I actually had no idea there was anything of the sort but have been fascinated to learn more about it. For me, Russian Tea was a mix of Tang (instant orange drink), NesTea (instant tea), and spices (cinnamon and clove mostly) - just add water. Not that I expected this to be anything like that - after all, the notes for this included mint, raspberry, pepper, tea, magnolia, immortelle, leather, incense, birchwood, and cistus labdanaum - but I did see it as a starting point. Boy was I wrong. After learning so much more about the tradition and the preparation of Russian tea, the perfume takes on a whole new life. The first time I wore this (yesterday), I was really on the fence - I mean, the opening was fruity violets to me, not something I get excited about, and the rest just emulated CdG Black and Tuscan Leather. It felt really redundant even if the story and the combination was unique. Last night I reapplied and went to the Theatre then slept in my undershirt all night long. And this morning I dressed for work with yet another application. While nothing has really changed in my experiences with the perfume - I still get the fruity violets in the opening, the rubbery anisic smoke in the middle, the raspberries and leather in the base - and I still don't really pick up the mint or magnolia - my opinion has changed. Russian Tea combines all the facets of CdG Black and Tuscan Leather in a way that is more enjoyable, especially in the context of its backstory. It's like finding out your favorite movie is based on a book, and that that book is based on a traditional folktale, and that that folktale is from your own cultural background - it becomes a part of your own history, a piece of your soul. Perhaps I'm over-glorifying but while CdG Black and TL are incredibly good perfumes, that's all they are. Russian Tea is instantly legendary. I'd sell my TL, CSt, CC-C, and CdG Black to make room for more of this.

proxy.php

Bull's Blood by Imaginary Authors

$Capture.PNG

Now this is an interesting one. . .One part revulsion, one part compulsion. Dark rose and patchouli are prominent, which are rational, respectable, a touch feminine, but assaulting that is a brutal, hemoglobin/amino/metallic/fecal violation that is both a tad disgusting, but also addictive - like the inability to look away from a bad accident/crime scene (bullfight?) This fragrance appeals to the primordial instinct to murder and mayhem lurking in our most repressed introns. It stimulates the same neurons that fired in the minds of the Roman citizens at the Colosseum and the unwashed masses in the town squares of medieval Europe who cheered on the executioner eviscerating the condemned. It stokes areas of my brain that I did not know I had, and wish I didn't. I hate it, but I love it, and I cannot turn away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom