What's new

2013 - Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Gentlemanly Insanity

This is the first interest my wife has ever shown in my shaving, so I'm not letting it pass! In fact I intend to sing the praises of whatever I get early and often, even if it ends up being overpriced. :)

I was starting to think Cologne as it's not technically a shaving purchase. But with only Lemon or Sandalwood available.... I don't know if I want to smell like a lemon all day and I think I'm slightly allergic to sandalwood....

Any chance you could buy the products and then not use them until the sabbatical is over?

If you need to use the products for your family's sake, I would say just do it. It's cool to try and make it to the end, but the generosity of your family should guide you. I think this whole sabbatical thing is about restraint for oneself, whether you're officially in or not.

I kinda look at it like you buy, you're out.
A gift card is no different than me having 50 bucks in my pocket and buying a bunch of stuff. Not using would be just a fudge.

I'm out.

It's still only ten bucks a month on average I am spending, so really, it costs less than if I were buying Mach3 blades and canned goo.....

Really, dear, it's cheaper!

And I needed to replace my old Omega Boar after three years anyway, so I may as well get free shipping!

So I went out in value-oriented style:

1 x Erasmic Shave Stick
1 x La Toja Shaving Soap Stick 50g
1 x Palmolive Shave Stick
1 x RazoRock La Famiglia Shaving Soap, Cumba Cheech OB & Jasmine
1 x Lea Shaving Soap Stick 50g
1 x RazoRock King of the Castle Artisan Shaving Soap - Lime
1 x RazoRock King of the Castle HARD Shaving Soap - Lime
1 x Vitos Menthol Pre & Post Cream 250ml Jar
1 x RazoRock XX Artisan Shaving Soap
1 x Omega 10049 - 100% Boar Bristle Shaving Brush

Thanks, Joe. You make de-bearding fun.

Do what you gotta do Tony, look at it how you wanna look at it. :001_smile Thats the simplest answer. I look at it this way, not that anyone asked hehe: Like Bruce I will not refuse a gift of shaving stuff from a family member. I also do not feel that a gift card and its use to a shaving store/vendor breaks the whole intention of the Sabbatical. That intention, as I see it, is to put the brakes on and curb an out of control spending and acquisition habit that is my own fault and responsibility. In short, stop intentionally and willfully buying shaving stuff! Receiving a gift of or being given the set purchasing limit gift of shaving items does not qualify as my willfull and intentional buying of shaving stuff to satisfy my habit.

If any of that makes sense. But like I started, do what YOU gotta do and look at it how you feel is correct. No harm, no foul to us I'm sure and we'll be glad to have you along or we'll miss ya! :biggrin1:

You did go out with style.

As you were not on the official list, you don't get my normal pic...instead you get this:

$Bump.jpg

Last edited:
You did go out with style.

As you were not on the official list, you don't get my normal pic...instead you get this:

View attachment 343453

I'm honoured. That picture is awesome. Also awesome is buying shaving supplies. My lesson here is that even if I avoid the forums for six months, I will start buying things right away within days of coming back to them. Lesson: don't leave.

ooh that's good!

I would prefer a Mr Men ouster to that poseur in a hat pkease.

there have been a few special ones...Mr. Bump Fails...The Goodbye Mick YouTube song...Bob Dylan salute to Alias. :laugh:

You just never know what you'll get when you fail. Sometimes it's the poseur in the hat, it may be the bye bye buy image, it may be custom, it may be a video......

John, i feel I need to take a harder line with myself than I would with others.
Did Dr Colussus go out over a splurge? No. he went out because a necessity broke the law of the sabbatical, if not the spirit.
I don't feel that we should be laxer on enforcement now just because we're six months in.
While we can debate grey areas, let's K.I.S.S. -If I buy, I'm out. There's really no getting around that. Unless I really really like the AoS colognes then I'll be gone like the wind.

Appreciate your support fellas!

I'm honoured. That picture is awesome. Also awesome is buying shaving supplies. My lesson here is that even if I avoid the forums for six months, I will start buying things right away within days of coming back to them. Lesson: don't leave.

LOL. Well, welcome back!

So I think theres a nice opportunity coming up in the near future that could be fun and help some of us Sabbatical guys with our AD's. The PIF Giveaway Game. I participated in it last year and had a good time. I spoke with TheVez2, and he said he'll be organizing it in the near future.

Basically, you sign up and are given the name and address of another member who signed up. Its a mystery and no one knows who has them, and it tends to stay a mystery even after the games over. You basically stalk that member around B&B, finding what they like and are interested in. Then you get a box together of items, shaving mostly or otherwise, and send it off to them. You receive one from the member who has your name. Some guys go big, others just what they can, but its all good no matter what you get.

Now for us Sabbatical guys, it gets a smidge tricky, in that you cannot buy anything new shave related to give, as you will be receiving in return and therefore its like you made a purchase. But you can buy anything else that fits their interests: pens, pipes, books etc. Skys the limit really. And of course you can give any shave stuff you already have, theres no requirement it be new. Like I said, its alot of fun and a great way to scratch some itches you can't because of the Sabbatical by getting new stuff! And if the member whos stalking you is on it, you can get some great stuff you really want!

What do you guys think? I'll be playing I'm sure :thumbup:

Yep! I just so happened to be having Robert Becker making me a scuttle during that time, so I had him put together a one of a kind in an Irish Green glaze with a celtic symbol in the lathering ridges. I was doing an all Irish theme for my guy because I had found a thread from him about rediscovering his Irish heritage from his grandpa. Got him some Irisch Moos, some Irish pipe tobacco and a few other goodies as well. I think another guy got a shave towel warmer!

Lots of fun! I myself got a Dirty Bird scuttle, a few creams and shave sticks, a bottle of Veg haha, and a Go the F*** to Sleep book.

So I think theres a nice opportunity coming up in the near future that could be fun and help some of us Sabbatical guys with our AD's. The PIF Giveaway Game. I participated in it last year and had a good time. I spoke with TheVez2, and he said he'll be organizing it in the near future.

Basically, you sign up and are given the name and address of another member who signed up. Its a mystery and no one knows who has them, and it tends to stay a mystery even after the games over. You basically stalk that member around B&B, finding what they like and are interested in. Then you get a box together of items, shaving mostly or otherwise, and send it off to them. You receive one from the member who has your name. Some guys go big, others just what they can, but its all good no matter what you get.

Now for us Sabbatical guys, it gets a smidge tricky, in that you cannot buy anything new shave related to give, as you will be receiving in return and therefore its like you made a purchase. But you can buy anything else that fits their interests: pens, pipes, books etc. Skys the limit really. And of course you can give any shave stuff you already have, theres no requirement it be new. Like I said, its alot of fun and a great way to scratch some itches you can't because of the Sabbatical by getting new stuff! And if the member whos stalking you is on it, you can get some great stuff you really want!

What do you guys think? I'll be playing I'm sure :thumbup:

I would enjoy that game. Might not have a large budget but I would like to participate.

I blew my brains out in Spain. The prices were too good to resist. I bought all kinds of LA TOJA shave sticks and cream. Some Mysol Aftershaves, some LEA and Bea Soaps and cream. The list goes on.... Back to restraint....but I am out :-(

I blew my brains out in Spain. The prices were too good to resist. I bought all kinds of LA TOJA shave sticks and cream. Some Mysol Aftershaves, some LEA and Bea Soaps and cream. The list goes on.... Back to restraint....but I am out :-(

I can't blame you there. If I encountered an easy access supply of La Toja sticks, I'd be out as well most likely. Add in the other great stuff it sounds like you found in Spain, and I'd be a goner for sure. Sounds like you had a great and enjoyable vacation, that's all that really counts. Plus, now, every time you smell La Toja, you'll recall being in Spain. That's a win!

Comet is out with his trip to Spain, no one can fault him for that....Hope you can stick with it the rest of they year, you just have to avoid Spain.

Enjoy your products and as Shave_rat said, every time you use or sniff them it will bring back great memories.

#NameDrop DateItem
1brucered
2Alpine Dad
3gmgaj
4the_edski
5Alias03-24Eucris, Balm, Etc
6MickToley05-09Bunch o' stuff
7vreddy2000
8beeranon
9jdto
10mol8101-22Pile of soaps
11jeddy61