What's new

2013 - Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Gentlemanly Insanity

Uhm... what about a DE razor replate? Is that considered maintenance like straight razor sharpening? I was hoping to have my great grandfathers superspeed sent out, it needs repair, and the plating is pretty much completely gone.

Uhm... what about a DE razor replate? Is that considered maintenance like straight razor sharpening? I was hoping to have my great grandfathers superspeed sent out, it needs repair, and the plating is pretty much completely gone.

I'd think that would be fine. Doesn't change your razor count. I plan on having a straight razor or two restored next year that I already own.

2013 Entrants:
1. brucered
2. Alpine Dad
3. gmgaj
4. the_edski
5. Alias
6. MickToley
7. vreddy2000
8. beeranon
9. jdto
10. mol81
11. jeddy61
12. Tim_McD
13. jojoc
14. brianw
15. beginish
16. mikeschu
17. Shave_Rat
18. Dave258
19. CyberJCM
20. edgerunner
21. OldSaw
22. Dirk-Lerxst-Pratt
23. Buster Casey
24. OldGreyGuy
25. andrestole
26. Haggises
27. random-hero
28. Comet
29. TSwebster

If I have missed anyone, please post here "I'm In" as well as any exceptions and I'll add you to the list (or feel free to copy and paste the list with your name added)

I'll jump onboard for no purchases in 2013.

My one exception is if I somehow run out of something entirely I'll only buy cheap local replacements. With most of my gear that's unlikely but I may not have a years worth of AS.

I would think if you really want to do it, you should buy a few AS's now and/or just set an exception to buy 1 more.

I have a few razors I plan on getting replated too. If I can finally stop spending all my spare cash on accumulating more stuff I might finally be able to get enough together to send them out for a makeover! :biggrin1:

This morning I placed what will probably be my last order for this year. I bought some Castle Forbes Lavender which I’ve been meaning to try and I thought by buying it now that’s one less temptation to break the sabbatical once we get into 2013.

I’ve been thinking about my exception of rare razors – and particularly British made Gillette’s – and having bought a few over the last couple of months I’m actually now more than content with the ones I have, and I certainly don’t need any more razors. So I’ve decided to make it no exceptions for me because if I start searching out rare razors I think it might tempt me to buy other things which would see me fail the sabbatical. I’m determined to see this through to the end – without exception!*

(* except for an occasional fragrance purchase) :whistling:

Last edited:
Wow Alias....well played and hope you can make it.

I've been slowly removing exceptions off my list too...hoping to get down to the Group Exceptions and leave it at that (with the odd fragrance)

I hope I can make it too! :001_unsur

But I feel if I start searching eBay or going out of my way to find certain razors I'll end up being tempted by other things and so I'll fail the sabbatical.

This is what it's going to be like - starting one week after Christmas, by which time the Turkey will have gone extremely cold! :biggrin1:

Last edited by a moderator:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm planning my re-stocking purchase now. I think 200 Feathers from dridiot will see me through the next 4 years and a pint or two of aftershaves in various flavors will suit me. I might even toss in a few lathering products and maybe a Wee Scott.

Just started but I have enough soaps now to lather like a fiend for probably 10 years.

Two exceptions:

* Blades since I only have about 10 which are a variety pack. These 10 may or may not last the entire year... we'll see. One blade has lasted 9 shaves so far, I think one more will work. That handled since early November. So one every 5 weeks isn't bad.
* Some sort of lathering bowl from Dirty Bird (I'm using a small mug now and it's not ideal)

Other than those, I'm not buying anything

I'd think that would be fine. Doesn't change your razor count. I plan on having a straight razor or two restored next year that I already own.

Good. That was my question as well.

I'm thinking about restocking now and attempting to make a run for the full year. That will take a lot of aftershave and some additional blades.

After placing my order with SCS last night, I also placed an order with IB. My old formula Proraso AS is almost done, and he had 400ml bottles... I am pretty sure it is still the old formula... I hope. I added 2 alum blocks in case mine meets the same fate as Brian's did last year, a bottle of Floid Black, 2 small Castle Forbes Lime and Cedar/Sandlewood and a backup bottle of Floid Blue...
I am starting to feel much better prepared! I am still thinking about ordering the one other brush I wanted (which I would have bought anyway) so if what I have and what I ordered last night gets me through the year without spending another penny, I will be way ahead of the game!

For me the key will be not looking on B/S/T, not going to antique shops, and not looking on eBay. If I can do that I think I can make it easily. Again, I'm going to really try to get nothing. No exceptions.

I predict 1/2 will fall by end of January. too many people going into this without knowing what they like already, still looking for the right blade, AS or cream. :001_cool:

I haven't run the numbers yet for Gentlemanly Restraint Until Christmas, but not too many fell off the first month. In fact, I'm not sure we had too many fall off throughout the session (Christmas is a good focus).

I haven't run the numbers yet for Gentlemanly Restraint Until Christmas, but not too many fell off the first month. In fact, I'm not sure we had too many fall off throughout the session (Christmas is a good focus).

I sure hope so...would be nice to see a bunch of us at the end of the year, with our heads held high and our paypal account ready for a big celebratory purchase.

Top Bottom