What's new

2013 - Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Gentlemanly Insanity

here is my 2013 Sabbatical Prep box. This is the stuff "un-used" and ready to crack open when I get tempted.

not shown in my "travel box" is a Speick, LaToja & Arko stick, and my blades are not included in here either, as they all get used.

$IMG_7060.jpg

I would, but I will only be able to edit Post #1 for so long, after that it get's locked.

Are we going to have a new thread for the actual restraint once we hit Jan 1? Is there any mechanism that lets you put in an image or spreadsheet you can edit into the first post, where it just pulls the newest copy into the post anytime anyone loads the thread?

Are we going to have a new thread for the actual restraint once we hit Jan 1? Is there any mechanism that lets you put in an image or spreadsheet you can edit into the first post, where it just pulls the newest copy into the post anytime anyone loads the thread?

it had been suggested that we start new thread, but feel that will add to the confusion. we already have a thread, and now there is a Pare Down 2013 going for people looking to just do it month to month.

Looking back on previous years, there was always just one thread started in mid Dec for people to sign up and post in for the continuation of the sabbatical.

if the overall consensus is start a new thread, we'll get the mods to lock this one and we'll start fresh on 01/01/2013 with a list of all the participants, but I don't think it's necessary. Come 01/06/2013 (the day it will start for 2012 active participants), we'll have our list of people and no one else will be added to the list, only crossed off as they fall, one by one, until only I am left standing. :blink:

i don't believe the original post will allow a spreadhsheet that is editable etc, as it locks out after so many days (unless a mod or steward) will take the initiative to manage it.

2013 Entrants:
1. brucered
2. Alpine Dad
3. gmgaj
4. the_edski
5. Alias
6. MickToley
7. vreddy2000
8. beeranon
9. jdto
10. mol81
11. jeddy61
12. Tim_McD
13. jojoc
14. brianw
15. beginish
16. mikeschu
17. Shave_Rat
18. Dave258
19. CyberJCM
20. edgerunner
21. OldSaw
22. Dirk-Lerxst-Pratt
23. Buster Casey
24. OldGreyGuy
25. andrestole
26. Haggises
27. random-hero

If I have missed anyone, please post here "I'm In" as well as any exceptions and I'll add you to the list (or feel free to copy and paste the list with your name added)

Last edited:
Wow, I do not have anything stocked up... Everything I have is open, and being used. Maybe I should rethink this sabbatical thing...
I am sure I still have enough to get me through!

Wow, I do not have anything stocked up... Everything I have is open, and being used. Maybe I should rethink this sabbatical thing...
I am sure I still have enough to get me through!

you'll be fine. the only items I purchased specifically for the 2012 Sabbatical were: GFT, Windsor, NB and MW Green Fairy...the other stuff I had lying around and figured I better store it for temptation purposes.

I figured that was being pretty conservative as to what I would want to try in 2013, so purchased them with the intention of keeping them for when I am done a few of my current products.

I vote we just go with this thread, periodical head count should be good enough.
you have to join, you have to be around and have fun and you have to exercise restraint..else its a fail.

If someone joins and then disappears for the rest of the year...I would think thats a fail as well...

I'm gonna up my game. I'll pick up some Nivea ASB and Clubman soon. After that, I'm going cold turkey. No exceptions. My 2XL can be the prize at the end of 2013.

Bruce, that is an insanely awesome backup box!

I agree with Bruce too. Same thread, and KISS. Besides... We shouldn't need to update that list very often.... RIGHT GUYS???? :biggrin1:

The picture I posted with the soap is not as daunting as it would seem. There are about 12 pucks in there of SCS soap that was made by our own Saint Sue. I will not use them and they appear from time to time in auctions etc. There are also about 3 pucks that are there for gifts

Am I allowed to trade for items? If so, I'm in.

My exceptions are:

Semouge LE Brush
Injector blades

Trading was said to be OK, but if you are trying to win one of Brian's generous prizes, the only exceptions allowed are B&B related and Branded items...

Am I allowed to trade for items? If so, I'm in.

My exceptions are:

Semouge LE Brush
Injector blades

Name added :001_cool:

as far as I'm concerned for the general sabbatical, trading is fine as long as you don't supplement the trade with cash/paypal. Not sure how if you'll qualify for brianw's prize offering if you acquire stuff via trade, I'll let Brian weigh in on that one.

Last edited:
I tried this year and lasted until the middle of May, eventually falling to a rather prosaic ball end tech. My spend this year (including stuff on order, but might not be delivered until next year) is just under $200. A quick check shows I have enough soap and cream to last until I'm 75 so I am trying again in 2013. My personal exemptions are:

B & B LE items
If I don't buy some this year, polish for brushes I have bought from the bay with a view to restoring.

Good luck to all the participants.

remember guys, If you show any interest at all in this thread, I'm adding your name to put extra peer-pressure on you to follow thru.

Names have been named. :detective:

2013 Entrants:
1. brucered
2. Alpine Dad
3. gmgaj
4. the_edski
5. Alias
6. MickToley
7. vreddy2000
8. beeranon
9. jdto
10. mol81