What's new

2013 R41 vs. iKon Tech - Such a Tough Choice!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I got the R41 first, and loved it. I got good enough that everyday shaves were wonderfully fast, easy, and just fun. BBS every time.

Then I got the iKon Tech, and the BBS seemed to get even closer. Shaving takes a longer time and much more skill, but the BBS seemed even closer.

Until I went back to my R41. I can't even decide now!

The R41 is carefree, and the stubble feels different. It's overall a slightly less close shave, but it's consistent or uniform. The Tech is closer over most of my face, but there's patches where it never seems to get as close.

All in all a good choice to have!!

Hi CC
I hear you on this one.:thumbup1: YMMV and all, I find the SC Tech to be smoother than my R41. Despite the SC Tech having more blade feel. I had a bit of a time getting a consistent shave going over curves - jawline, sides of the neck, chin. Then found I wasn't adjusting the shave angle to keep it consistent over the curves. Once I did that, even the difficult areas are wiped smooth with one pass, and occasionally a quick buff under my chin. This is the only DE razor I've tried that doesn't need 2 extra passes under my jaw.

For me the SC Tech gets significantly closer than my R41. With my best SC Tech shave I can skip a day, and be presentable until mid afternoon 2nd day. That was an unexpected surprise!

As you say, a good choice to have, and a reason I keep both in my active group.

Watch out for SE RAD:laugh:. There are a number of SEs that are quite aggressive and comfortable. It's too late for me!:blink:

Life is good in Wet Shave Heaven! -David

Last edited:
I have both the R41 and the SC Tech and I love and use them both. Both give me bona fide BBS every shave. I have noticed that the tech leaves the skin feeling a bit smoother than the R41, but the difference is subtle. Both are awesome shavers for those of us who have coarse beards and need a more aggressive razor. I use feather blades mostly, sometimes Gillette 7 O'clock Blacks or Perma Sharp Supers for blades.

These are the the only 2 razors I use any more. I bounce back and forth also, about a month or so at a time. I worry sometimes about the longevity of my R41 so try to take good care of it, lubing the threads, etc.
The R41 seems to be less picky on blades for me. It will take just about any blade and give a nice shave.
Ikon Tech seems to prefer the sharper blades. Just picked up a perfecto handle to try on the Tech, as the bulldog seemed a little heavy and short for me. Still experimenting with handles. :001_smile

Sounds like you are doing well. The only question is whether you need another razor to break the tie?

I'm in total synch with all y'all. I've been on an SE binge, but this morning grabbed my Ikon Tech. Tonight I vowed I'm going to use it eight shaves in a row (two Feathers' worth), which I've never done with any razor. Then I'm going to use my R41 2013 eight shaves in a row. Then, who knows, but I suspect I'll turn back to SEs for a spell...

I'm in total synch with all y'all. I've been on an SE binge, but this morning grabbed my Ikon Tech. Tonight I vowed I'm going to use it eight shaves in a row (two Feathers' worth), which I've never done with any razor. Then I'm going to use my R41 2013 eight shaves in a row. Then, who knows, but I suspect I'll turn back to SEs for a spell...

[emoji106][emoji41] I'm in the same boat, Scott!!!

[emoji106][emoji41] I'm in the same boat, Scott!!!

This morning reminded me that the Ikon Tech is pretty much a perfect shave. I really enjoy the vintage SEs (which perform much better than the Gillettes, in my book), but they don't quite nail it, for some reason. I find myself reaching for them most of the time, but I don't know if it's the history, or wondering about who may have used the razor over the last 100 years, or the blade, or something else.

The Ikon Tech and R41 really have it down. I still have yet to try the Devette, though. Are you still using yours, David?

This morning reminded me that the Ikon Tech is pretty much a perfect shave. I really enjoy the vintage SEs (which perform much better than the Gillettes, in my book), but they don't quite nail it, for some reason. I find myself reaching for them most of the time, but I don't know if it's the history, or wondering about who may have used the razor over the last 100 years, or the blade, or something else.

The Ikon Tech and R41 really have it down. I still have yet to try the Devette, though. Are you still using yours, David?

Hi Scott
The devette conquered me, I sold it to a nice member here. A bit too harsh for me[emoji25]

These are perhaps my two favorite razors. I've been on an SE kick for most of the year, but went back to my Ikon Tech last week and my R41 2011 this morning. I hadn't used the R41 for many months, but was instantly reminded of why I love this razor. Among my very large stable of both DEs and SEs, nothing is as close and smooth as my R41.

Hi CC
I hear you on this one.:thumbup1: YMMV and all, I find the SC Tech to be smoother than my R41. Despite the SC Tech having more blade feel. I had a bit of a time getting a consistent shave going over curves - jawline, sides of the neck, chin. Then found I wasn't adjusting the shave angle to keep it consistent over the curves. Once I did that, even the difficult areas are wiped smooth with one pass, and occasionally a quick buff under my chin. This is the only DE razor I've tried that doesn't need 2 extra passes under my jaw.

For me the SC Tech gets significantly closer than my R41. With my best SC Tech shave I can skip a day, and be presentable until mid afternoon 2nd day. That was an unexpected surprise!

As you say, a good choice to have, and a reason I keep both in my active group.

Watch out for SE RAD:laugh:. There are a number of SEs that are quite aggressive and comfortable. It's too late for me!:blink:

Life is good in Wet Shave Heaven! -David
Hey I know this is one of your old comments but wanted to know what is this SC Tech you are talking about? Is it a Gillette?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Hey I know this is one of your old comments but wanted to know what is this SC Tech you are talking about? Is it a Gillette?

"SC Tech" is the Ikon ShaveCraft Tek. It does not resemble the Gillette Tech razor in any way.

"SC Tech" is the Ikon ShaveCraft Tek. It does not resemble the Gillette Tech razor in any way.

Is this oc version the same as the one you posted? iKon ShaveCraft Short Comb Razor - iKon Razors - https://www.ikonrazors.com/product/ikon-shavecraft-short-comb-razor/

i believe this is the one

Eben Stone

Staff member

I don't own the open comb version, but based solely on the website photos, those are completely different razors. The most significant difference is that the Tek doesn't have a usable safety bar (in my experience it doesn't touch your face, its too far back/underneath the blade edge). The open comb version is obviously much different in that way, based on the photos, I would have to assume its a very different shaving experience.

Is this different?

Is this different?
Yup different razor. The short comb is an open comb razor, the Teck is closed comb. Short comb isn’t mild by any means, but definitely not as aggressive as the Teck.

Top Bottom