What's new

2011 R41- What's the Deal?

What are people's opinion of the Muhle 2011 R41? I've seen a couple over the years selling online for a pretty hefty sum. Is this just one of those nostalgia "gotta have one" things or something else I'm missing. The two 2011s I've watched online sold for considerably more than a couple of Gillette Red Tip Rockets a couple of years ago. What's the deal?

Thanks

It’s more aggressive than the current version on the R41 (the 2103 version). You can find some pictures on internet that shows the difference, basically a narrow top cap for the R41-2011 that produces a higher aggressive sensation. You can emulate that version if you use a R89 top cap on your current R41.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
You can have a similar shave with the first DSCosmetic Z0 prototype.
The 2011 version has a shorter/narrower top cap, as already mentioned. The later R41, the new R41 GS and the DSCosmetic Z0 in Version 2 have a wider cap. This actually makes for a better shave, you lose nothing but some pain. The blade is less supported from above with the shorter cap and vibrates a bit more. How this supposedly makes for a better shave, not really. IMO and YMMV as always.

These days I rarely shave with anything but straight razors, but I do own both the R41 2011 and the 2013 version. As I have understood it the 2011 only was produced during a few months before it was replaced by the 2013. The 2013 is an excellent but rather demanding razor, especially if you use it for a third ATG pass, which I do and you have to be very careful going ATG on the upper lip. However it is predictable and anyone could learn how to shave with this great razor. As mentioned above the top cap of the 2011 is more narrow and the blade exposure is larger. Thus the 2011 is even more demanding, but I wouldn't say that the shaves are much closer than the shaves you get from the already ultra agressive 2013. Actually an experienced 2013 shaver can always get perfect BBS shaves and anything closer than that is just peeling off skin.

So in short the 2013 is a better razor than the 2011. It shaves just as good, but it is much more forgiving. Then again there is a reason to why I still own both these razors even though I rarely shave with anything else but straight razors. I guess that owning a 2011 is a bit like owning an oversized handgun: It sends chills down the spine, but there are plenty of smaller guns that are much more practical.

they made the 2013 for a reason.

but people love stuff that is hard to come by, and have been regaled by tales of the legendarily aggressive 2011 version, so they just HAVE to have it. All it takes for a razor to go at a very high price is two people with more longing and money than brains.

The first DE razor that really worked for me was the 2011 R41. When I heard they changed the design, I got the 2013 version as well, thinking it might be an improvement, but for me, it was a step backwards. My first 2011 R41 got about a decade of uninterrupted use until I realized the zamak was quickly failing. That sent me back down the razor rabbit hole and the lack of availability of the 2011 model is why I started trying some of the newer artisans.

I've discovered some great razors that I think I might like better than the 2011 R41, but I still have soft spot for it, so I did track down a replacement 2011 and pay a premium for it. I've tried the interpretations and substitutions (the R41GS, the DScosmetic Z0, the spitfire 3d printed cap, etc), and none of them really mimic the performance of the 2011 R41. It's not a perfect razor and it is noisy as all get out, but I still like it.

You probably will never get me to give up my Stirling SS razor or my Wolfman WR2 1.65SB, but I would probably buy another 2011 R41 if I came across it, such is my attachment.

My $.02

You can have a similar shave with the first DSCosmetic Z0 prototype.
The 2011 version has a shorter/narrower top cap, as already mentioned. The later R41, the new R41 GS and the DSCosmetic Z0 in Version 2 have a wider cap. This actually makes for a better shave, you lose nothing but some pain. The blade is less supported from above with the shorter cap and vibrates a bit more. How this supposedly makes for a better shave, not really. IMO and YMMV as always.
There is a school of thought that a vibrating blade does a better job at cutting, all other considerations being equal. I believe I've seen vibrating cartridge razors in the drug stores, and there is our old friend the Stahly Live Blade razor.

Top Bottom