What's new

2011 Muhle R41 Is It Really That Aggressive?

Hi gents, I'm considering a Muhle R41.. I've read all there is to read about this razor and have a question for all of you.. Has anyone used a Feather Artist Club RG

straight with Professional Blades? if you have then you know how smooth and SHARP! that razor with those blades can be.. Can the R41 be more aggressive then

the Feather AC? Can anyone who has used both give me some comparisons on aggressiveness of the R41 vs. the Feather AC?
:001_smile

The R41 has a lot of blade exposure. You can have blade right on your skin from around 12 degree blade angle up to 75 degrees or so. A shavette of course is exposed as one can possibly get with a shaving implement :). So if that's what you mean by aggressive, the shavette's certainly more so, but only barely. With the R41 you can use it with support from the cap ( shallow angles ) or the comb (steep angles), or no support at all (middle angles). As such, I would say it's quite similar to a shavette, but with a bit more safety, if desired. I've never shaved with a shavette, so I can't speak to how the weight and form factor differ.

BTW, love your avatar/username. Huge Rush fan here!

No de will ever be more aggressive than a straight, if you can shave with a straight any de should be no problem. That's opinion of course.

No de will ever be more aggressive than a straight, if you can shave with a straight any de should be no problem. That's opinion of course.

That's what I was thinking...Iv'e been a DE user for years and dabbled a bit with real straights and the Feather Artist Club..but people make the R41 sound so mean, aggressive and unlike any shaving tool to ever exist (including straights). Do you think they are strictly DE users? after using my straights for a while then coming back to safety razors, they all seem so tame to me..

The R41 has a lot of blade exposure. You can have blade right on your skin from around 12 degree blade angle up to 75 degrees or so. A shavette of course is exposed as one can possibly get with a shaving implement :). So if that's what you mean by aggressive, the shavette's certainly more so, but only barely. With the R41 you can use it with support from the cap ( shallow angles ) or the comb (steep angles), or no support at all (middle angles). As such, I would say it's quite similar to a shavette, but with a bit more safety, if desired. I've never shaved with a shavette, so I can't speak to how the weight and form factor differ.

BTW, love your avatar/username. Huge Rush fan here!

Sounds like a good one pass shaver...WTG and done...Thanks huge Rush fan here as well!

Yeah, it's got a lot of blade, but as said a shavette has as much as you can get. If you've used a shavette much, the R41 will certainly be easy to use.

That's what I was thinking...Iv'e been a DE user for years and dabbled a bit with real straights and the Feather Artist Club..but people make the R41 sound so mean, aggressive and unlike any shaving tool to ever exist (including straights). Do you think they are strictly DE users? after using my straights for a while then coming back to safety razors, they all seem so tame to me..

I'm sure you have all heard of Geofatboy on YouTube..He used everything from DE's to straights in his shave videos..there's a clip of him demoing the R41 like it was a mild shaver..Check it out

Great Avatar too by the way. I was listening to Permanent Waves earlier followed by Snakes and Arrows. Amazing to me that they're still rocking after all this time. I love the new song too.

Top Bottom