What's new

20,000 Percent Tax Increase???

This is what you get once the Democrats take over. It'll only get worse in 2 years, when we will inevitably end up with a Democrat in the White House (God forbid). Of course being the hypocrites that they always are, like JFK squirreling away 10,000 Cuban Cigars the day before he signed the Cuban Embargo, they'll have theirs all stashed away.

20000 percent increase, huh? Hm, I wonder how this might affect North Carolina. I guess they might start exporting more or something.

This is what you get once the Democrats take over. It'll only get worse in 2 years, when we will inevitably end up with a Democrat in the White House (God forbid). Of course being the hypocrites that they always are, like JFK squirreling away 10,000 Cuban Cigars the day before he signed the Cuban Embargo, they'll have theirs all stashed away.

Oh, now honestly.

Yeah, we get it. The proposed increase is inordinate. Are we sure it didn't just slip through? Are you sure that "maximum tax" would even be the actual tax in most cases? Has the amendment process even really begun yet? Is it going to be part of the final bill? Nope. But <<insert scary ghost movie sounds here>>, them 'dems just want to raise our taxes! Rabble rabble!

I wouldn't support that tax, and I don't think most democrats really would either. Maybe the media attention will shed some light on it, as its probably unintentional or something that'd get worked out in committee before it actually came to a vote -- hell, most democrat politicians are rich white guys too, and you can't deny that even Bill Clinton was quite the cigar lover.

Why does your contribution to threads like these invariably amount to something along the lines of "well, that's those hypocrite bastard democrats for 'ya."?

Either way, this will never see the light of day, whether it makes it to the floor or not. Its just something else for the Ditto-heads to get all up in arms about, so they can distract themselves from having to address distract everyone while they continue to obstruct action on more important issues.

This is reminiscent of the luxury tax that decimated the domestic boat building business a few years back. Legislators just don't seem to understand that consumers will go for the cheaper (ie, imported) alternative.

I'm not surprised that congress would raise taxes, after all that is their main function. I'm surprised at the &#37;. I can't remember any proposed increase of that magnitude.

I also realize that it will never become law. I doubt it was ever intended to be.

I'm not surprised by anything the government proposes now. It doe not matter Republican or Democrat. Once in office the primary concern of EVERY politician is to stay in office. The people have become lemmings. We, as a society, keep voting the same people in , then complain about what they do. But it is always YOUR congressman that needs to be replaced, not mine.

The congress, as a whole, is firmly convinced that the tax rescource is bottomless and the people are too stupid to really do anything about it.

And we keep proving them correct.

This is just another example of the goofy way Congress works. It has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans. You'd be shocked if you read all of the proposed legislation from the past couple of decades--even language proposed by the party that has dominated Congress throughout that period.

Don't forget that Bush came into office with a balanced budget and has not vetoed even one spending bill that the Republican (until 2006) Congress has sent to him--NOT ONE.

But cigar smokers must remain vigilant. Politicians from both parties can score easy points by passing legislation against "smoking," and the loony anti-smoking lobby will lump cigars in with cigarettes every time they get a chance. Cigars are legal; most smokers of premium cigars smoke very few per week; and I haven't seen even one scientific study linking such smoking to serious health consequences.

On the other hand, cigar smoking probably cut down a few famous guys in the prime of their lives, the blossom of their youth, long before their time: George Burns, Milton Burrel, Winston Churchill, etc.

I'm not surprised by anything the government proposes now. It doe not matter Republican or Democrat. Once in office the primary concern of EVERY politician is to stay in office. The people have become lemmings. We, as a society, keep voting the same people in , then complain about what they do. But it is always YOUR congressman that needs to be replaced, not mine.

The congress, as a whole, is firmly convinced that the tax rescource is bottomless and the people are too stupid to really do anything about it.

And we keep proving them correct.

This is just another example of the goofy way Congress works. It has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans. You'd be shocked if you read all of the proposed legislation from the past couple of decades--even language proposed by the party that has dominated Congress throughout that period.

Don't forget that Bush came into office with a balanced budget and has not vetoed even one spending bill that the Republican (until 2006) Congress has sent to him--NOT ONE.

But cigar smokers must remain vigilant. Politicians from both parties can score easy points by passing legislation against "smoking," and the loony anti-smoking lobby will lump cigars in with cigarettes every time they get a chance. Cigars are legal; most smokers of premium cigars smoke very few per week; and I haven't seen even one scientific study linking such smoking to serious health consequences.

On the other hand, cigar smoking probably cut down a few famous guys in the prime of their lives, the blossom of their youth, long before their time: George Burns, Milton Burrel, Winston Churchill, etc.

I would like to mostly agree with all of your points, except that I think it matters if you are Democrat AND republican... They are in with each other like two sides of the coin. Ron Paul, please get in and dismantle this garbage brick by brick!!!

I don't mean to start a flame war here, but anything will be an improvement over the piece of work who's dragged our country's name and economy through the mud over these past 7 years. It's not a republican/democrat issue. The real issue lies in the fact that most politicians are crooks. Nothing new, really.

And I agree, what JFK did literally the day before the embargo was enacted was a show of pure hypocrosy.

As much as $20 for a cigar? Almost as bad as buying them in the UK!

An example, a box of Partagas petit coronas? Not what I'd call a big cigar.

Online at the bargains price of £199, $372.79

That's why I buy them in Spain!

Gareth

I don't mean to start a flame war here, but anything will be an improvement over the piece of work who's dragged our country's name and economy through the mud over these past 7 years. It's not a republican/democrat issue. The real issue lies in the fact that most politicians are crooks. Nothing new, really.

And I agree, what JFK did literally the day before the embargo was enacted was a show of pure hypocrosy.

Did I read correctly that you feel we have a bad economy?

And Groucho Marx, too. Imagine how much more they could have contributed if they hadn't died so young! :biggrin:

S

sullivanpm

I normally don't discuss politics and I am not a big fan of the current administration.
But,
How has our economy been drug though the mud?

Top Bottom