What's new

$2 versus $700 Shaving Soap Videos, Which would you Prefer?

The Sebum Gold web site features a promotional video from Shave 326 who does a lot of YouTube videos demonstrating various wet shaving tools and products. Found it surprising that a vendor would use a video to tout its custom process that includes what appears to be a less than ideal shave with thin watery lather and a large chin weeper.

Took a look at some of Shave 326's other videos and found it kind of funny to see him realize what looks like a better shave with $1-$2 Arko than with his $700 Deluxe custom package Sebum soap. Arko delivered easy to generate thick creamy lather with plenty of slickness versus thin watery later and large weeper from Sebum. Look at how hard Shave 326 had to work at generating the weak looking Sebum lather vs. the Arko lather. Added another video link where Shave 326 achieves an excellent shave with Stirling Campania soap for comparison purposes where lots of nice lather was created for a good shave and is representative of the many artisan shave videos from Shave 326.

Have a look yourself via the links below. Which of these would you prefer to shave with?

Sebum Gold Customs Shave 326 Video:

Arko Shave 326 Video:

Stirling Campania Shave 326 Video:

The vast majority of youtube "influencers" don't know much about shaving. Including the fellow in the videos you posted.
I watch some videos to get a better look at some products trying to figure out answers to questions other venues cannot offer. A better way to get answers is to browse and search the B&B forum.
On the other hand, sebum who?
We've a whole thread of the Sebum shaving soap. Came across the first video when researching for a post on it.

We've a whole thread of the Sebum shaving soap. Came across the first video when researching for a post on it.

It was more of this :

proxy.php

If you catch my drift...

That's precisely why the videos from these youtube yahoos are worthless.
They have a vested interest in providing great reviews, regardless of the outcome in order to keep the view numbers up, and the free crap coming in.
Agree completely on that assessment. Have seen an additional element in the pattern where, to try to maintain credibility, they will give negative feedback on a budget soap like Williams where they don't need to worry about vendor samples. What was amazing here is a vendor using a video, with so many negative elements, as a testemonial for its products.

jeepers - I didn’t know there was a soap set that got to that price. That is crazy. I think if i took my most expensive soap and then added my most expensive aftershave, I’d probably get to 120 and they wouldn’t even match. I also don’t see how I’d have a better shave.

watch out for my new video 😜

jeepers - I didn’t know there was a soap set that got to that price. That is crazy. I think if i took my most expensive soap and then added my most expensive aftershave, I’d probably get to 120 and they wouldn’t even match. I also don’t see how I’d have a better shave.

watch out for my new video 😜
See this thread for lots of detail on the marketing theater here:

Shave 326 was rising in popularity when I was starting out a couple of years ago, and I could not figure out why. His criticism of the Henson Al13 was that the rounded handle bottom made it impossible for him to stand it up for his pictures.

I’m obviously out of date with the YouTube community around shaving.

i read that thread linked - pity they fell short, always sad to see such a small community hit by the marketing wizardry.
I admit I like a good bowl and packaging, but 350 or 700 is just crazy. the nuavia bowls were a stretch at the time and I cannot imagine better performance
I could buy an Escher for that price - if I could find one

See this thread for lots of detail on the marketing theater here:

Oh, wait... If you post one more link about this I will start believing this is some marketing ploy...:001_tt2:

Top Bottom