What's new

2 variations of Aristocrat 1934 ? I'm confused.

I own these 2 razors for quite some time now and I've never put them side to side before. On further inspection, I noticed some disturbing differences : / The thickness of the head is different & the elbows are fundamentally from different conceptions. I also noticed that both have 7 patents engraved, however, the right one has 5 patens on the upper handle and 2 on the bottom handle while the razor on the left has 2 patents on the upper handle and 5 at the bottom. I've scrolled Mr.Razor site and can't find a One Piece Open Comb with the elbows of the razor on the left : /

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's the patents for the razor on the left:
PAT.NO. 1956175
REISSUE PAT.NO. 18955

PAT.NOS. 1912461 1918227
1919794 1922072 1928264

Here's the patents for the razor on the right:

PAT.NOS. 1912461 1918227
1919794 1922072 1928364

PAT.NO. 1956175
REISSUE PAT.NO 18955

What are the weights? The wiki page Gillette_Aristocrat_1930s says that there was a 66-g version and a 73-g (rhodium) version. Neither of those looks like it was ever rhodium-plated, but maybe we will find out that some 73-g were plated in gold too.

Another thought is different production dates: 1934-1939 leaves plenty of time for Gillette to tweak the parts.

While I am asking for data, what is the total length of each, preferably in mm? Right now the wiki page is missing that information.

Well, this thread made me pull out my newly acquired 1934 Aristocrat. What I can tell you is that the one I have is exactly like the one on the LEFT in your pictures. I will have to take my contacts out to be able to see what the patent numbers are and where they are located on the handle, but the elbow profile and the flatness of the head showing less of the riser blocks from the end view are identical again to the razor on the LEFT.

My question on mine was the 1934's Aristocrat on the Mr. Razor site is shown as coming in a leather bound case, while the 1936 is shown in a gold metal box. Mine has the gold metal box, but is supposed to be a 1934. Now, to me it really makes little difference whether it's a 1934 or 1936, as I'm not a collector. I would just like to know which mine is and what is correct.

I am intrigued by the difference in your razors, but it appears there are at least 2 razors like the one on the left in your pics. I'll be interested to read what the experts have to say.

I just checked and mine matches the one on the left, though the last patent number matches the one on the right.

I have two patents on top and five on the bottom. US made, it's replate so I don't know what it was originally plated in (rodium now).

Mine matches the one on the right, with two patent #'s on top, and five on the bottom, my eyes are too bad to read the numbers. When I bought mine, the seller said it was an Aristocrat De-Lux, and it has a gold case. He said it was a 1934 also.

Mine matches the one on the right, with two patent #'s on top, and five on the bottom, my eyes are too bad to read the numbers. When I bought mine, the seller said it was an Aristocrat De-Lux, and it has a gold case. He said it was a 1934 also.

I believe you are right Alan, the De-lux seems physically different from the regular.

Mine matches the one on the right, with two patent #'s on top, and five on the bottom. Mine also came in a leather case just like the one pictured above from Mr. Razor site. So I think it is safe to assume that mine is a proper '34, at least based from the above pictures. It is so difficult to tell sometimes because we all know how easy these razors can end up in the incorrect case.

PAT.NO. 1956175
REISSUE PAT.NO 18955

PAT.NOS. 1912461 1918227
1919794 1922072 1928364

$DSC_0094.jpg

So based on what we gathered here does the style on the left without the rivet holes copied after the senator shave more aggressively than the original version? Someone shed some light on this?

So, to make sure I understand. The razor on the RIGHT in the OP is an Aristocrat Deluxe, making it a 1936, correct? That would make the razor on the LEFT the standard Aristocrat and a 1934? Does anyone know if the metal case was used with the 34's or not until the later 36's? Or do I have a mismatched razor and case?

I just want to refer to mine as the correct year, whichever it is. For some reason I like the idea of it being a 34', partially because that's what I was told it was, but I'm not married to that classification. Just whatever the truth is is fine.

So, to make sure I understand. The razor on the RIGHT in the OP is an Aristocrat Deluxe, making it a 1936, correct? That would make the razor on the LEFT the standard Aristocrat and a 1934?

I am real sure mine is a '34 and it came in the leather case. It is like the one on the right with the exception that mine has the 2 serial nos. on top and the 5 serial nos. on the bottom.

I guess what I am trying to say is, No, the one on the right is not necessarily a '36. By the examples above it is safe to assume that there are some variants out there that were produced during the time that these early Aristocrats were made. Without a serial number or date code stamping it looks like the case was the best determination of what year it is. The fact that yours in in the Gold metal case makes it safe to assume, IMHO that yours is probably a '36. On the other hand yours could be a '34 in a '36 case and mine could be a '36 in a '34 case. I really think that there is just no sure way to tell.

Regardless, all of the early Aristocrat OC variants, both US and British, are amazing in both looks and function.

Top Bottom