What's new

2 Starters started.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Haven't sliced into it, but my last loaf.

Looks really good.

I made my grandmother's recipe dark rye loaf this morning. Won't cut into it until later this afternoon when my sister gets here. Caraway seeds, not mouse droppings :)

61313478021__16A5E54F-7864-43E6-9825-59B1257F2C41.jpeg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I seems as if my various experiments exploded. Over the years I've enjoyed many many pancakes but maybe with a bit more time and understanding I have something. These are two different things . . . one is from Zourdough and one is naturally caught where I am.

I've got a bit of dough now from this that I'm going to try to cook tomorrow. ( rising in a bowl and stretching every 30 to 45 mins) And heck yes . . . sourdough pancakes tomorrow.

Sourdough experiments.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
This has been a very strange journey. Once you do it . . . well it is simple. I've been snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for ever.

My major learning is this. You follow steps and your wild caught starter bubbles a bit. Perhaps you get the houch. At some point for me it always seemed to die and become wall paper paste. Now in retrospect I know that is not the case. A bit of that wall paper paste with an equal amount of flour and enough water to make a very thick batter and it jumps to life.

Seems I'm a bit too thrifty for my own good and always under fed.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
This has been a very strange journey. Once you do it . . . well it is simple. I've been snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for ever.

My major learning is this. You follow steps and your wild caught starter bubbles a bit. Perhaps you get the houch. At some point for me it always seemed to die and become wall paper paste. Now in retrospect I know that is not the case. A bit of that wall paper paste with an equal amount of flour and enough water to make a very thick batter and it jumps to life.

Seems I'm a bit too thrifty for my own good and always under fed.

My starters stay in the frig. They always look dead. I can spoon some out and feed it with cold water and APF or WW 1:1:1 before bed and it has doubled by the morning. I've read where some folks do 1:2:2 or even 1:3:3 to revive a dormant starter but I've never needed to do that.

If your 'frugalness' has to do with the amount of flour that you are using, cut the size of your starter WAY back. If a recipe calls for more starter than your stash, just do two feedings.

They are hard to kill. High heat will do it. Neglect, maybe if you let it develop mold.

That looks really good! What did you change (or add) to get it more tangy?
Warmer water in the levain, and then it has you mix it with only a portion of the flour to start (60% of whatever size batch you’re using). So starter with water and flour, proof on counter and then in fridge overnight. Then mix in the remainder of flour and salt the next day.
The first time I tried it I used all AP flour, this time I did half AP and half bread flour.

Warmer water in the levain, and then it has you mix it with only a portion of the flour to start (60% of whatever size batch you’re using). So starter with water and flour, proof on counter and then in fridge overnight. Then mix in the remainder of flour and salt the next day.
The first time I tried it I used all AP flour, this time I did half AP and half bread flour.

Dang, thats a long autolyse.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock

I may try that some time.

Trying this recipe today with a 2 day cold ferment.

Let us know how it works out. 81.6% hydration. I don't think that I have ever done one with that level of hydration.

Trying this recipe today with a 2 day cold ferment.

Is this an app? This looks really useful for adjusting recipes .. somewhat weirdly I am using my starter as a supplement to regular bread ( machine ) recipes using a European bread recipe or a whole wheat recipe depending on how decadent we are feeling that day .. basically for morning toast / snacks etc

regards
Avi

Is this an app? This looks really useful for adjusting recipes .. somewhat weirdly I am using my starter as a supplement to regular bread ( machine ) recipes using a European bread recipe or a whole wheat recipe depending on how decadent we are feeling that day .. basically for morning toast / snacks etc

regards
Avi

This guy is great. Love his sourdough experiments on YouTube.

Reactions: Avi

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
The wife prefers sandwich loaves to the artisan style boules. Here's my standard 73% hydration boule dough cooked in a 9 x 5 loaf pan...

IMG_2425.jpeg
91976661-1839-4A2B-B164-4225E77402F4.jpeg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm going to try some sour dough french loaves sometime this weekend. One of the things I did do was to dry out some of the excess starter that I didn't use thinly spread out on a silpat (silicone mat), dried it, and have stored it in a couple of Mason Jars. One for the San Francisco style, and the other Native Caught Brampton. This will be a short cut if the jar I have in the fridge actually does die. So far it is taking a lot of neglect really really well. No feeding for a couple of weeks and comes to life very quickly.

I'm going to try some sour dough french loaves sometime this weekend. One of the things I did do was to dry out some of the excess starter that I didn't use thinly spread out on a silpat (silicone mat), dried it, and have stored it in a couple of Mason Jars. One for the San Francisco style, and the other Native Caught Brampton. This will be a short cut if the jar I have in the fridge actually does die. So far it is taking a lot of neglect really really well. No feeding for a couple of weeks and comes to life very quickly.
I've also found that starters are very tolerant and come back within a couple days.

Top Bottom