What's new

2 shaves to a blade and that's it

I'm also in the two and out club. Why spend money on a good soap, brush and razor, only to ruin a good shave with a dull blade?

Exactly, I used to push and squeeze every blade for as many shaves as I can get, but after getting mostly bad results after the 3rd shave i've stopped torturing myself.

Doesn't matter what the brand of blade, what the brand of soap, the length of time between shaves, or the temperature of water (I'm a cold water shaver).

The most I can get out of a blade is two shaves.
I am curious about the whole cold water shave and blade longevity thing. I know that you say the temperature of the water doesn't make a difference for you but I have noticed a trend. Cold water shavers often seem to experience short blade life. Any cold water shavers get 6 or 7 shaves from a blade please chime in!

I'm truly fascinated by the widely varying experiences of how long a DE lasts for different users. Personally, I find it takes 1 - 3 shaves for a new blade to settle in, after which I'll typically get a dozen or more shaves before I get bored with it and want to move onto something else. I'm guessing that the "settling in" process is the coating on the blade being worn away and/or smoothed out so that's its no longer impacting the blade/whisker interface. Regardless, I feel a blade is hitting its stride when others think it's ready for burial.

I've only rarely stretched a blade to see how many shaves I could get before a clear degradation, and I haven't counted, but it's more than 40, I think. And some here get way more than that.

Blades are cheap, and this is a hobby where clearly there's no right way. Anyone else can use multiple blades per shave if they wish and I won't accuse them of "doing it wrong." But I'm still curious about our widely varying experiences. Whisker toughness and density would seem to be the primary variables, and prep + technique no doubt come into play as well. Is some of it psychological, too? Probably, but that could also imply that I'm refusing to recognize the degradation of my well-used blades out of some sort of stubborness. (Who, me?)

More generally, while we all really enjoy shaving, I am amazed at our lack of consensus on just about everything. Does "YMMV" prevail to the same extent in other niche interest groups?

I am curious about the whole cold water shave and blade longevity thing. I know that you say the temperature of the water doesn't make a difference for you but I have noticed a trend. Cold water shavers often seem to experience short blade life. Any cold water shavers get 6 or 7 shaves from a blade please chime in!
Hi. Cold water shaver here. I get about 20 comfortable shaves from a Feather blade. I do shave daily and I have thick coarse hard hair.

I totally agree with the adage that life is too short and blades are too cheap for uncomfortable shaves. Those 20 shaves are all comfortable, and I have found that most of my problems come from a faulty technique and not from a dull blade...but as always YMMV

But I'm still curious about our widely varying experiences. Whisker toughness and density would seem to be the primary variables, and prep + technique no doubt come into play as well. Is some of it psychological, too? Probably, but that could also imply that I'm refusing to recognize the degradation of my well-used blades out of some sort of stubborness. (Who, me?)

For the person who bins his blade after one or two shaves, I'm thinking there must be some difference in the way it feels between shave 2 and shave 3. And if that person views that difference as discomfort, then by all means, get rid of the blade. But I have said in previous posts, whatever that difference is, I register it differently. I like the feel of the blade cutting the whisker. Someone else registers that as tugging. I keep shaving, you change the blade. All is well.

I do think there is a psychological component to blade longevity. If someone thinks a blade is done after two shaves, its done for that person, regardless of what I or an electron microscope says. And if someone thinks a blade can perform for 300 shaves, it probably will. For that person. And until someone attempts blinds tests of used blades, that is how it is going to stay--subjective.

The blades only work until they don't. I make it a habit to change my blades after 2 shaves. There is no point in stretching the number of shaves you get out of a blade and risking a bad shave.

I'm truly fascinated by the widely varying experiences of how long a DE lasts for different users. Personally, I find it takes 1 - 3 shaves for a new blade to settle in, after which I'll typically get a dozen or more shaves before I get bored with it and want to move onto something else. I'm guessing that the "settling in" process is the coating on the blade being worn away and/or smoothed out so that's its no longer impacting the blade/whisker interface. Regardless, I feel a blade is hitting its stride when others think it's ready for burial.

I've only rarely stretched a blade to see how many shaves I could get before a clear degradation, and I haven't counted, but it's more than 40, I think. And some here get way more than that.

Blades are cheap, and this is a hobby where clearly there's no right way. Anyone else can use multiple blades per shave if they wish and I won't accuse them of "doing it wrong." But I'm still curious about our widely varying experiences. Whisker toughness and density would seem to be the primary variables, and prep + technique no doubt come into play as well. Is some of it psychological, too? Probably, but that could also imply that I'm refusing to recognize the degradation of my well-used blades out of some sort of stubborness. (Who, me?)

More generally, while we all really enjoy shaving, I am amazed at our lack of consensus on just about everything. Does "YMMV" prevail to the same extent in other niche interest groups?

I too was going to add that my shaves got better after 2-3 shaves with Derby blades. I haven’t DE shaved in a while, but I used to exclusively before I made the move to straight razors. I DE shaved For the better part of 10 years. I bought a hundred pack of Derby’s in 2008, and it took me to 2018 to use them up shaving about every other day for the most part. I noticed my shaves got better around the 3rd or 4th shave. I often put in a fresh blade not because the old one was uncomfortable, but because I couldn’t remember the last time I had changed and I knew it was over a month.

As others do, I agree there is no right or wrong answer. Do whatever gives you your best shave. The difference in opinions and experiences on the matter is quite interesting though.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I usually average about 5 shaves from a DE blades. However, with straights I don't seem to be getting the same mileage - 10 shaves and it's time for a refresh. Used to think it was my whiskers but with 5 out of a DE blade, it's probably more my technique, both stropping and shaving. Hopefully that will improve over time.
cheers
Andrew
This is the truth! For me and my incredibly handsome face I can ruin a blade by not using proper prep and form.

If I don't have a well hydrated beard (warm water) and watch my angles I can shorten the life of any blade. BUT.... if I do it right I can get 50 shaves out of a GSB and 25 EASY with an Astra SS.

YMSNV....LOL!!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Well, I do accuse them of doing it wrong!

And I'd bet a dollar against a donut that every single "weird" hobby like ours has it's own freaks. Have you ever been around a bunch of Ham Radio Nerds? Or Gamers? Some of those dudes make ME look normal!

Got two great shaves out of a Voskhod platinum blade. I know it won't make it on the third but at least it didn't get rough on shave 2 third pass.

Well, I do accuse them of doing it wrong!

And I'd bet a dollar against a donut that every single "weird" hobby like ours has it's own freaks. Have you ever been around a bunch of Ham Radio Nerds? Or Gamers? Some of those dudes make ME look normal!
I've been both in my time and did amateur astronomy too !

Up until a few days ago I never experienced something more than 2-3 shaves per blade. In general no blade really cut my whiskers ATG except for a Feather. I always do 1xWTG 2-3xATG with additional touch ups if needed. I've tried about 8-10 brands, old stock new ones, all the same.
Until a couple of days my saviour found me, Gillette Nacet! Today I had a shave on the blade's fifth use, maybe it can go 10 I have no idea. It's not as sharp as the feather but I manage. Just try blades until you find your blade.

I decided long ago to use a fresh Feather each time. Never could remember how many times I used it, plus it simplifies things a lot, and no chance of rusty blades discolouring my Atlas. And if anything goes south, I know I can't blame the blade.

Top Bottom