What's new

2 Razor Comparison

Any options on which of these 2 razors gives the closest shave?

The Merkur Futur set at the most aggressive setting?
Or the Muhle R41?

Thanks,
SMU

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I think this begs the question. Closeness has more to do with technique/angle/products than it does a particular razor...IMHO.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Yup. Most every razor gives me a close comfortable shave, most in two passes with touch up.

When some tells you that "This Razor will shave you closer" think of all the Golf Club salesmen telling you that their driver will add ten yards to each drive or their iron will let you get ten feet closer to the hole or their putter will shave ten strokes off your very next round.

But to answer the brother's question, I suggest the Futur insanely set wide open is the more aggressive razor. The Futur also has the reputation among many for being a smooth shaving razor (at least at low settings), while the Muhle R41 has the reputation among many of being somewhat harsh while being very aggressive.

Only YOU can determine which razor gives the closer shave of your whiskers.

With proper technique, any razor wil give you a close shave. Comfort is a whole other question. I’ve never tried the R41, but it is more often than not called out for harshness. The Futur, which I do own, is a whisker killing beast. But it can be tamed, and can provide me with a very comfortable shave (but be on your game; it will bite if you are not careful). And it’s adjustable for when you would want a comparatively mellow shave (comparative, as in setting 1 vs 6; even at 1, the Futur is an aggressive razor).

Closeness of shave is completely technique determined -- you can get a lovely, BBS shave with a straight razor or a Slim set on 2 if you know what you are doing. Unless damaged, any DE razor can give you a BBS shave, but it will be easier with some.

More blade exposure allows more range in the angle that the razor will shave -- the Slim set on 2 will require good angle control to shave closely, a Futur wide open has a very wide range of angles where it will shave closely. It also has a wider range of angles were it will scrape you up and give you a good case of razor burn, too.

I agree it's got a lot to do with technique, blade choice, prep. I personally find the R41 a smooth shaver and it's certainly not the most efficient razor in my den. I don't have a Futur but I've heard set on the highest setting it's a very efficient razor and like most very efficient razors or what some call aggressive razors they can bite you if you are not giving the razor your full attention or if you haven't got your technique down.

I’ll take the side of opposition on this one! Nothing against the more experienced guys who have chimed in already, but for me only the Ikon Tech gets as close as my R41. My Futur (clone) comes close, but I haven’t quite taken the time to dial the razor, blade, and technique combo that will will give me the comfortable, fast, and insanely close shave my R41 executes!

Also, for whatever it’s worth, I cannot get a close shave from a mild razor. I may not have the best prep and technique, so it could totally be my error. That being said, any razor I have that stays mild after I work with it for a while gets benched.

For my money, go aggressive and work your technique with the razor! Both of these are great pieces, so you can’t lose either way. I’d just like to submit that with patience and practice the R41 rewards handsomely!

BF&E, thanks for your helpful response! I do get really close shaves with my Future set on 6 but was unaware until recently, that the R41 is supposed to be even more aggressive. I am always looking for a closer shave and the R41 is supposed to do this efficiently, with less passes. I have both the Future and the Futur clone and the clone is excellent! Is it worth spending the money on the R41, if I already own the Future? You said the Future comes close.

Your comment about the Ikon Tech is interesting! Where did you buy it? I searched for it online but it seems to be sold out everywhere.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
More than likely both will give the perfect shave you desire if the right combination of blade and soap is chosen properly. Both razors are legends for aggressiveness if you wish it to be that by way of technique.

I’ll take the side of opposition on this one! Nothing against the more experienced guys who have chimed in already, but for me only the Ikon Tech gets as close as my R41. My Futur (clone) comes close, but I haven’t quite taken the time to dial the razor, blade, and technique combo that will will give me the comfortable, fast, and insanely close shave my R41 executes!

Also, for whatever it’s worth, I cannot get a close shave from a mild razor. I may not have the best prep and technique, so it could totally be my error. That being said, any razor I have that stays mild after I work with it for a while gets benched.

For my money, go aggressive and work your technique with the razor! Both of these are great pieces, so you can’t lose either way. I’d just like to submit that with patience and practice the R41 rewards handsomely!
I, too, am in the minority camp that believes that some razors provide closer shaves than others - all other factors being equal. Perhaps that last phrase gives rise to our different opinions on this. I always do a two pass shave with a bit of touch up afterwards. If I do that with my Fatip Piccolo I get a closer shave than with my other razors. I do run an increased risk of irritation if I'm not careful, so I often use my DE89 which never gives me as close a shave, but which also never produces any irritation. Could I find a way of getting as close a shave with the DE89? Perhaps if I did a 3 pass shave, but then isn't it fair to say that the Piccolo provides a closer shave?

I, too, am in the minority camp that believes that some razors provide closer shaves than others - all other factors being equal. Perhaps that last phrase gives rise to our different opinions on this. I always do a two pass shave with a bit of touch up afterwards. If I do that with my Fatip Piccolo I get a closer shave than with my other razors. I do run an increased risk of irritation if I'm not careful, so I often use my DE89 which never gives me as close a shave, but which also never produces any irritation. Could I find a way of getting as close a shave with the DE89? Perhaps if I did a 3 pass shave, but then isn't it fair to say that the Piccolo provides a closer shave?

I agree with this. With two passes and significant buffing, I just can't get a close shave with a Slim set at 9, a Red Tip, a Barbasol floating head, or many other DE razors. I don't have a Futur, but my R41 2011 gives me a close, trouble-free shave.

That's the thing when you get a great shave with an aggressive and efficient razor, the other mild razors I own doesn't seem to be quite as efficient as it used to be.

I got a PAA Bakelite open comb slant a week before I got the RR Mamba.

I wished I had shaved with the Mamba first or used one of my Gillette Tech first. I remember when I use to find the De89 aggressive when I was using a Weishi .

I like the Mamba still when I need to shave fast and not worry about nicks or razor burn.

Yup. Most every razor gives me a close comfortable shave, most in two passes with touch up.

When some tells you that "This Razor will shave you closer" think of all the Golf Club salesmen telling you that their driver will add ten yards to each drive or their iron will let you get ten feet closer to the hole or their putter will shave ten strokes off your very next round.

I agree with the Golf Club salesman analogy, but it’s all about angle and technique. Some razors force me to improve my technique. After shaving for a week with my R41 and I then shave with an Edwin Jagger, I find I get a much closer and effortless shave. If I shave with a mild razor for too long I get lazy.

I have both the R41 and the Futur. For me, the R41 provides a superior shave when compared against the Futur on its highest setting. Both require significant attention and for me are too aggressive for use as a daily driver, but are great for a Monday morning shave after taking the weekend off.

All that said, technique is king and YMMV...

Top Bottom