What's new

2 questions about Williams Mug Soap

Is Williams the same Williams that originally introduced Aqua Velva?

And...

Can you guys get good shaves with it?

I am doing very well with it this week.

I was reading up on soaps yesterday and learned something interesting. Ivory soap was invented by J.B. Williams in 1840. They sold it under the name off Ivorine. However, when the company decided to focus on shaving soap, they sold the rights to Ivorine soap to Proctor and Gamble. The soap was later renamed Ivory and that name was trademarked in 1874, The rest, as they say, is history.

Although Williams Mug soap is a tallow based soap made from a decent list of ingredients, many report that it is harder to load onto a brush and harder to develop a lather than a lot of the artisan soaps. I have to agree with that assessment. I still have a puck in my den, but have not used it in a couple of years. However, for those with sensitivity to scented soaps, it might be a reasonable alternative. Just be prepared for a learning curve when using the soap for the first time.

I get excellent shave with Williams, new or vintage. I used it for decades before there was any shaving forums or computers. Williams will always be in my rotation, and Aqua Velva has finished more shaves for me than anything else I have. It's the perfect pair.

I was reading up on soaps yesterday and learned something interesting. Ivory soap was invented by J.B. Williams in 1840. They sold it under the name off Ivorine. However, when the company decided to focus on shaving soap, they sold the rights to Ivorine soap to Proctor and Gamble. The soap was later renamed Ivory and that name was trademarked in 1874, The rest, as they say, is history.

Although Williams Mug soap is a tallow based soap made from a decent list of ingredients, many report that it is harder to load onto a brush and harder to develop a lather than a lot of the artisan soaps. I have to agree with that assessment. I still have a puck in my den, but have not used it in a couple of years. However, for those with sensitivity to scented soaps, it might be a reasonable alternative. Just be prepared for a learning curve when using the soap for the first time.

Great summary! For me the ‘vintage’ Williams was much superior to the current version.

Same company, different modern formulation. As Big J pointed out, the vintage soap is superior to the modern one.

That said, I can still get a good lather with the modern soap.

Yes, Williams is the same company as Aqua Velva. Williams Mug Shaving soap gives one of the best shaves. It has more slickness and glide than any other soap, that smoothness is where great shaves come from. You should check the Williams Mug shaving soap brotherhood: Williams Institute for Shaving Excellence (WISE)

To the OP:

I agree with what Miguel has said and would add another thread for your reading pleasure: 3017 a puck of Williams

When used on a regular basis, it runs rings around most other soaps out there. And at $0.99/ puck, it's pretty much the cheapest as well.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve used it since 1964. I use other soaps
as well but that is the fun of soap isn’t it? For the actual utility of shaving it is perfectly fine. I always have Williams. It has been in use since 1840. By all means get a few pucks and as an added benefit, you can join in all the love/hate banter. Just pick a side - it doesn’t matter which - just fun on a rainy day.

Top Bottom