What's new

2 questions about shaving creams

Hello... Uhm... Being a naive newb (you order some blades and with a bit more you get free shipping so you throw in a couple of more creams, right? Or you shop aftershaves and colognes and same happens and you throw to the cart another cream, right?), as well as with a tendency of hoarding and an eye for bargains and with so many cheap creams available in Europe, i found myself soon enough with what would seem a rather high amount of shaving creams. So, i am trying to figure out, just how much time does it take to finish a tube of cream, using the proverbial almond size (i use a bit more usually, but let's take the almond, which is the standard). So that i can assess the situation with my current stash. So, since i am a newb and i have currently 2 creams and 1 croap opened and i can't figure out anymore how much they will last me,

1) How much does 1 tube of cream last (please specify if 100ml or 150ml and how often you shave)?
2) Have you ever had a brand of shaving cream in tube going bad if never used (never opened) and if yes, what BRAND was it?? (so, that i consume those first). The EU creams i have, don't have expiration date, but PAO. PAO is 12 months after opening, for products that last "at least 30 months". Turkish products (Arko, Derby), have expiration dates (the Arko i have 2019, Derby 2021, Arko stick 5 years after production, so about 2021).

Thanks.

P.S.:

1) I have started writing down the number of shaves with a new Proraso tub. However, since i am at shave 9 with it, it will be a long time before i can figure out how long it will last me.
2) Ok, ok, so i have a C-SCAD (cheap SCAD), but i can't help it when i find good bargains!

I can only answer the second question, the first one depends on how much you're using, and how often you're shaving. Shaving creams and soaps don't really go bad to the point of being expired and unusable, same goes for razor blades if properly stored. Your arko sticks are not going to expire in 2019. There's plenty of people on here using soaps that date back to the 1950's (Williams for example). I'm using vintage blades from 1977 that are still good, and they work better than anything I've ever had. It's a good thing creams and soaps don't expire, because I have like six brands that are going to take a very long time to work through.

1. Generally a 150ml tube will last me 3 months of daily shaves using an almond-sized dollop. Exact duration may vary from user to user.

2. Unopened tubes will keep almost indefinitely if they are kept in a cool place.

1. Generally a 150ml tube will last me 3 months of daily shaves using an almond-sized dollop. Exact duration may vary from user to user.

2. Unopened tubes will keep almost indefinitely if they are kept in a cool place.
+1 on that about 3 months of daily shaves with Arko & Derby cream for me also.

Pretty much anything that is consumed or touches skin has to be given an expiration date. For much of the non-medicinal stuff, it is not really anything critical about the exact date (I won't get into it here, but even with medicinal stuff, it's often less critical than most people would believe.). The coloring may change, or things may get dry, or fall out of suspension. Usually, though, most creams and lotions will last significantly longer than the generic 3-5 year expiry that they are given by the filler, particularly if they are kept in decent climate-controlled conditions. Hard soaps stored decently can last for absolute ages. Decades, easily. I work with lotions and creams, so lot codes and expirations are a big part of my day-to-day life.

I've never used one thing straight through from start to finish, so I can't answer that. And I don't really track usage anyway. The only tubed cream I have used is Proraso, and I have had opened tubes for years that are still good. Worst case I have found was one opened tube that was marooned in a dark corner, forgotten for I don't know how many years. There was a hardened bit of the cream in the neck that was dried solid. Maybe a cm long, if that. It squeezed out, and with water added it worked into a fine lather.

I think that, for the most part, the goods going rancid would be your biggest problem. And you will know when that happens for sure.

I can only answer the second question, the first one depends on how much you're using, and how often you're shaving. Shaving creams and soaps don't really go bad to the point of being expired and unusable, same goes for razor blades if properly stored. Your arko sticks are not going to expire in 2019. There's plenty of people on here using soaps that date back to the 1950's (Williams for example). I'm using vintage blades from 1977 that are still good, and they work better than anything I've ever had. It's a good thing creams and soaps don't expire, because I have like six brands that are going to take a very long time to work through.

The Arko stick is supposed to expire in 2021. In 2019 it's an "Arko Maximum Comfort Cream". I had read about people using vintage creams. My worry though was that back then, people weren't too bothered about preservatives in the creams. While now, there is a popular push to eliminate many preservatives (such as parabens) from products. So maybe today's creams are more "natural", but do they last as the vintage ones? That's the big question. I hope you are right! Thanks!

Thank you very much! Then for me, shaving every 1,5 days, it should be...4,5 months! Holy smokes! I didn't think it would be so long! Even if i go down to 4 months, that's longer than i had thought!

On point 2, i sure hope so! If not, well, somewhere around 2025 i will make a post and inform you all on which tubes failed! :scared:

+1 on that about 3 months of daily shaves with Arko & Derby cream for me also.

Thank you for the confirmation!

Pretty much anything that is consumed or touches skin has to be given an expiration date. For much of the non-medicinal stuff, it is not really anything critical about the exact date (I won't get into it here, but even with medicinal stuff, it's often less critical than most people would believe.). The coloring may change, or things may get dry, or fall out of suspension. Usually, though, most creams and lotions will last significantly longer than the generic 3-5 year expiry that they are given by the filler, particularly if they are kept in decent climate-controlled conditions. Hard soaps stored decently can last for absolute ages. Decades, easily. I work with lotions and creams, so lot codes and expirations are a big part of my day-to-day life.

I've never used one thing straight through from start to finish, so I can't answer that. And I don't really track usage anyway. The only tubed cream I have used is Proraso, and I have had opened tubes for years that are still good. Worst case I have found was one opened tube that was marooned in a dark corner, forgotten for I don't know how many years. There was a hardened bit of the cream in the neck that was dried solid. Maybe a cm long, if that. It squeezed out, and with water added it worked into a fine lather.

I think that, for the most part, the goods going rancid would be your biggest problem. And you will know when that happens for sure.

I keep everything that i don't use in cardboard boxes. I can't start putting them in the fridge like some people do with Cella from what i know. I find it too much. Thank you, let's hope the cardboard box is enough. I am happy to hear that about Proraso, as i have plenty of them. I don't care if it gets a bit hardened at the neck of the tube. I suppose it's natural, because it's the part that may be in contact with a little air. It's just like with salami. You cut off the first piece and keep eating the rest! :lol1:

My strategy will be:
- Consume the croaps first (i have a bad feeling about them, because the potential surface in contact with air, is bigger.
- Go to the creams, with priority to the Arko cream, which expires in 2019. The Arko stick is more resilient goes to 2022.
- Based on all this, leave the hard soaps for last. I found 2 pucks of Haslinger soap for 2,40 EUR each on special discount, so what the heck, i couldn't resist, since i also want to learn how to use hard soaps.

It's not my fault, but every time i say "ok, i have enough", i stumble upon another eurocream that i hadn't seen before in a special offer and i can't stop myself! I mean, i found a 4-pack Nivea shaving creams for 3,80 EUR (all four). I didn't have any Nivea. How could i say no??!!!:blushing:

So, now, on the one side, with let's say 4 months per tube, i realize that i have a much longer duration stash than i had originally thought (hey, they look like big toothpastes! I finish those quickly!), but i am also relieved that maybe the expiration date won't be so much problem.

But, thanks, from now on, until i make a considerable dent on the cream stash, i will only maybe buy some hard soap. Besides, i think there is only 1 european mass production cheap cream that i haven't bought (La Toja). So, there aren't really many more left! :lol:

Well, for the sub-5 EUR prices i paid, there's not much risk at the end. If something fails, i will post in the forum. Don't miss my report after 10 years! :lol1:

OK, doing a bit of math...(of course i currently have another 2 creams and 1 croap opened, but let's exclude them)

17 creams x 4 months = 68 months
1 Arko stick = 3,75 months (it's just 75g, so assuming 1g of usage per shave).
2 150ml tubs (Proraso,Figaro) = 8 months
Total: 79,75 months = 6,6 years.

+2 Haslinger soaps, but being hard soaps, i shouldn't worry much about them... Plus they are tiny (60g).

Hey, that's not too bad! When i first thought about 4 months per tube, i thought i would hit the decade! In a few years, i will be able to buy some more! :biggrin1:

Let's look at this scientifically. One almond = one shave. 10 almonds = 1 handful. 2.4 handfuls = golf ball. 4.3 golf balls = 1 tub. Unless we're converting to metric in which case 6.8 golf balls = cricket ball. Thus subtracting out the amount of soap lots to spillage when you mix too hard, one tub last about this <--------------------------------> long.

Here's the thing about expiration dates: They're all voluntary, except for a few things. Some companies have short ones with the expectation that you'll throw it away and buy another. This link accounts for food, but it also extends to non-edibles like personal care products:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/do-food-expiration-dates-matter

I know that canned shaving cream/gel expires eventually, but I don't know how long it's good for. Five years, maybe.

Here's the thing about expiration dates: They're all voluntary, except for a few things. Some companies have short ones with the expectation that you'll throw it away and buy another. This link accounts for food, but it also extends to non-edibles like personal care products:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/do-food-expiration-dates-matter

I know that canned shaving cream/gel expires eventually, but I don't know how long it's good for. Five years, maybe.

Thanks. In fact, the european legislation on cosmetics is, like i mentioned, very vague. The products with PAO, mean "at least 30 months shelf life". This means, it can be 3 years or 10 years, only the manufacturer knows. The only thing i 've read, is that cella can go bad, because apparently it has too much fat, that goes rancid. For the rest, who knows...I will probably know after 10 years.

Thanks. In fact, the european legislation on cosmetics is, like i mentioned, very vague. The products with PAO, mean "at least 30 months shelf life". This means, it can be 3 years or 10 years, only the manufacturer knows. The only thing i 've read, is that cella can go bad, because apparently it has too much fat, that goes rancid. For the rest, who knows...I will probably know after 10 years.

Cella? Not if vacuum-sealed with saran wrap and all that. I have a kilogram still in its packaging (got it on sale) plus another half kilo stored up in the closet. I know that it can lose it's scent but I've read countless stories of people who leave their bowls out in the open for a long time without any ill effects.

Cella? Not if vacuum-sealed with saran wrap and all that. I have a kilogram still in its packaging (got it on sale) plus another half kilo stored up in the closet. I know that it can lose it's scent but I've read countless stories of people who leave their bowls out in the open for a long time without any ill effects.

Interesting. Maybe there are various factors in play, because i 've read and even seen photos of Cella changing colour. At any case, at some point in the distant future i will try it, but for now, i am full of soft soaps, if i buy others, it will be hard soaps, since they seem to endure time much better.

My 100ml tube of VIA MEN cream lasted me a bit over 3 months of mostly daily shaves.
that was using my cheap VDH boar brush and a very large soup bowl to whip it up.
I always had plenty of lather and I really like that cream.
At 1.75 Euro a tube it's a great bargain... however, I've only found it online from Portugal and the shipping cost is painfully expensive.
I have a second unopened tube in storage for the Shavepocolypse.

proxy.php

Interesting. Maybe there are various factors in play, because i 've read and even seen photos of Cella changing colour. At any case, at some point in the distant future i will try it, but for now, i am full of soft soaps, if i buy others, it will be hard soaps, since they seem to endure time much better.

The color issue doesn't mean much, like I said just keep it stored out of the light and wrapped up. I like creams, soaps and me have never gotten along. I just tried maggard's orange menthol and it did not fare well. Italian soft soaps are a breed of their own, I only have cella and there's a very specific way to use it. So far my arsenal is geo f trumper coconut oil, limes, taylor of old bond street sandalwood, proraso cream from bath/body works, and european palmolive cream.

So what creams have you gotten so far?

Opened: Proraso Blue cream, Proraso White tub, Derby Lemon cream.
Unopened: 1 Arko stick, 1 Proraso White Cream, 1 Proraso Blue Cream, 3 Proraso Red cream, 1 Proraso Red Tub, 1 Derby Lemon cream, 2 Palmolive Green cream, 2 Palmolive Red cream, 1 Arko Maximum Comfort cream, 2 Lea cream, 1 Figaro tub, 4 Nivea Men Aloe cream, 2 Haslinger soaps.

The color issue doesn't mean much, like I said just keep it stored out of the light and wrapped up. I like creams, soaps and me have never gotten along. I just tried maggard's orange menthol and it did not fare well. Italian soft soaps are a breed of their own, I only have cella and there's a very specific way to use it. So far my arsenal is geo f trumper coconut oil, limes, taylor of old bond street sandalwood, proraso cream from bath/body works, and european palmolive cream.

Yeah, the absence of air, is what preserves it well in your case. I read that Cella is superfatted. It has more fats than the amount that gets saponified and these "free" fats, get rancid with the air, which is what makes the brick change colour. I prefer creams too, for the easiness of use and the fact that it's easier to make lather, since every time you put more or less the exact amount of soap, so it's easier to learn how much water you need too. But i thought to buy some croaps and harder soaps too, just to acquire a bit of knowledge on how you work with these too. Not to mention, that from what i gathered, hard soaps cost much more than creams.

For instance, the famous "Williams" shaving soap, which i suspect that in USA is the most mundane hard soap, where i am i have only located it in one place, at 45 EUR for 3x1,75 oz pack. The cheapest one is probably Tabac, while the DR Harris goes for over 20 EUR. In comparison, there are tons of continental european plus turkish creams that all sell for less than 5 EUR and from the data i saw in a B&B 3017 thread, people consume 1-2g per shave from hard soaps. So, based on what i learnt in this thread, at the end, creams are way cheaper at the local prices.

@Boring Euroshaver
Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a couple of pucks of Williams.
everyone should be crazy like the W.I.S.E. men.
I'm mailing via Deutsche Post so it should be kinda quick and kinda cheap.

@Boring Euroshaver
Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a couple of pucks of Williams.
everyone should be crazy like the W.I.S.E. men.
I'm mailing via Deutsche Post so it should be kinda quick and kinda cheap.

That's very kind of you and i thank you, but it would go against my principle to retain my internet privacy. :smile1: If i really wanted to buy them, i would. I just consider it a way too bad of deal, compared to the cheaper stuff i can find.

I see.. then I'll tape them to the underside of the third park bench on the first left turn of the path that goes by Jim Morrison's grave in the Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris on the second full moon in October.
Be there or Be square! :detective:

I see.. then I'll tape them to the underside of the third park bench on the first left turn of the path that goes by Jim Morrison's grave in the Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris on the second full moon in October.
Be there or Be square! :detective:

Hahahhahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom