What's new

2 Piece - Single Ring Clone?

No markings anywhere - bottom plate is blank. Is this even a Gillette?
I don't have it yet - pics are the seller's.
1575627182428.png

1575627314231.png

I'd say a clone in a mismatched case.

There were German competitors making clones of the single ring around WW I. The knurling doesn't match any Gillettes I'm familiar with, and Gillette liked to have his logo on everything.

Not a mismatched case - seller's photo was on just a printed background unrelated to the actual razor - likely the "case" I get will be bubblewrap in a cardboard box.
I didn't even stop to consider German made. I was mostly drawn to the Barber Pole-type pattern on the handle.
Thanks for the info!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have no real idea. I have seen something similar before but I cannot remember where. Maybe @tonich or @romsitsa might have a better idea on the origins of this razor.

Not a mismatched case - seller's photo was on just a printed background unrelated to the actual razor - likely the "case" I get will be bubblewrap in a cardboard box.

Chalk up my error to tired eyes. Sorry.

I didn't even stop to consider German made. I was mostly drawn to the Barber Pole-type pattern on the handle.
Thanks for the info!!

@romsitsa came up with the information I sought on a similar razor back in 2017:

What about this razor? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-about-this-razor.523205/

That's why I was thinking German, although yours might have been made elsewhere.

R

romsitsa

Hello, sorry but without any marking it’s impossible to id it. How it’s made suggests a German origin to me, but I could be wrong.
The only thing for sure is that it’s not a Gillette. Gillette old types always have 14 teeth, a rounded crimp in the base plate, “bullet” shaped round locating pegs and some kind of marking.
The handle is awesome.

Adam

I'd been looking at Barber Pole design handles for 3 piece razors, but they're out of stock. I also have wanted a single ring style for a long time - this combines both.

FINALLY!! It's Here!. Arrived in todays' mail. Seller claims to have run it thru his ultrasonic cleaner, but if so, they don't work very well to clean up old razors. I stuck it in the sink & sprayed it down with Scrubbing bubbles. After 30 minutes, I scrubbed it down. What looked like rust under the cap brushed right off. The Barber Pole design cleaned up like new. Seller said the cap was bent, so I straightened out a slightly bent cap corner. Looks like the teeth will need a little realigning, but I'll worry about that later.

I was surprised with the shave. Open combs are usually quite mild, but this is the most aggressive razor I've used in ages. Shave angle is unforgiving & I had to kinda ride the cap, but I got a 12 hour shave from it with a new Personna Blue Blade.

Wehrmacht Single Ring.jpg

Looking around on-line, it is definitely German, likely a Wehrmacht Single Ring Clone, but not marked as the popular Rotbart-Mond. It's the only Barber Pole handle I could find online for this type razor.

R

romsitsa

Hello, it turned out nice. I’d check the cap/comb alignement as something looks to be off in your photo, suspect this is why it’s “aggressive”.
Wehrmacht, Heer etc. razors doesn’t exist, it’s just to boost sales, like other fantasy items. Although a shaving kit was issued to German soldiers, razors were always private purchases.

Adam

Top Bottom