What's new

2-pass shaves

Years ago when I shaved with a DE I did three or even four pass shaves and I was aiming for BBS a lot, 'cause heck, that's what was on the internet and at the time that was the only serious lessons I had in shaving. And I had a lot of problems with razor burn.

Since taking up single-blade shaving again, I have more modest goals and I generally just do two pass shaves. I'd like to get down to a one-pass shave with touchups, but my technique is not there yet. The only single-blade I've found that does a decent (better than an electric) one-pass shave is the Gillette Guard.

I have to question where the idea that a traditional safety razor should routinely deliver a BBS shave came from. None of my grandfathers ever really had that smooth of a face, for sure, and they both have very strict standards about shaving (they both ended up using electrics in the end, and my maternal grandfather delt with ingrown hairs a lot).

I think if I wanted a BBS shave, I would reach for my Sensor and do a two pass, with one pass against the grain, and I'd be prepared to deal with the extraordinary skin conditioning needed to get away with that. In fact I have done so a few times in the past with good results. But it requires a lot of skin conditioning to pull that off more than a few times a month.

Where the traditional razor shines is giving a FFS consistently with less irritation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shave with two passes WTG, ATG. I normally get a DFS, some areas of my face get irritated if I chase those last whiskers. My beard grows in crazy directions so I don't think I could get away with a one passer. This is the way I shave daily. Until I started traditional shaving I hated it. It was a matter of I need to be clean shaven for work so I just powered through it. Now I take my time and enjoy the shave, almost like using your favorite tools in the garage. BBS is a metric to base a shave on. For me it is fun to see how well I can make the razor an extension of my arm and see direct results. Both of my Grandfathers were the same way shaved but not that smooth. Neither one of them were professionals and didn't have a need to look polished everyday. So in the end it is a hobby/challenge to develop skills and just enjoy the moment.

Razor burn is a sign of improper technique and you can get it with any razor (DE, SE, straight, cart, does not matter) if you use your razor incorrectly.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I agree that the BBS is far too hyped and that many faces are not suited to it. My typical morning shave is two-pass (WTG/XTG or XTG/other-way-XTG), with some touch up in a couple areas that I just can't seem to get otherwise, and that lasts me all day and then some. I will, on occasion, go ATG on some areas when I'm feeling particularly fancy or adventurous, but that's rare. As it is, I wake up with less severe stubble than I used to go to bed with.

Shoot, I'm not trying to win any awards, here. I just want a nice, comfortable shave that is comfortable for the full day. Being uncomfortable for the day is not worth much of anything.

I agree with TexLaw. WTG, ATG, touch-ups and of to work. This gives me a BBS/DFS without irritation.

I agree that the BBS is far too hyped and that many faces are not suited to it. My typical morning shave is two-pass (WTG/XTG or XTG/other-way-XTG), with some touch up in a couple areas that I just can't seem to get otherwise, and that lasts me all day and then some. I will, on occasion, go ATG on some areas when I'm feeling particularly fancy or adventurous, but that's rare. As it is, I wake up with less severe stubble than I used to go to bed with.

Shoot, I'm not trying to win any awards, here. I just want a nice, comfortable shave that is comfortable for the full day. Being uncomfortable for the day is not worth much of anything.

2 passes (WTG, XTG) for me is great for everyday shaving. Once in a blue moon I'll give my face a full 3 pass + touchup treatment for that BBS experience, but for the most part, a 2 pass CCS is what works best for me.

My face is much happier (and by extension so am I!) since I committed to sticking with a two pass shave. Is it BBS; no, but it is at least DFS all over and BBS in most areas. As a bonus it does not take as long as three or four passes and the scuttle is still plenty warm. Heck; I sometimes cut back to a one pass shave on Saturday or Sunday if I only need to look presentable for a few hours.

I'm only in my first week of using a de safety razor, and I'm really glad to hear some of your comments about getting a BBS. I've wet-shaved my whole life and now that I'm using a de razor I'm getting a very comfortable/close shave with just 2 passes, yet I kept wondering - Do I really need to do a 3rd pass? For everyday shaving I don't think I do, which is a big relief for me.

:001_smile

Mr Eleven

BBS is over rated in almost all scenarios. Sure, it can be celebrated when it is achieved, but it's not worth irritation in going after it.

I use injectors exclusively, and I get DFS+ (could be a "BBS" but...who can tell?) with essentially a 2-pass shave: (1) WTG on cheeks and chins and XTG/S->N on neck and (2) ATG on cheeks and chin and XTG/N->S on neck. As I said, routinely DFS+ and no irritation.

I don't know if injectors are better (no basis for comparison for me)...I just wanted to add a data point.

I shave with two passes. Where I am somewhat different is that over time i learned how the beard grows on my face and neck. There are three different directions on my face, two on my chin, and six on my neck. This has become knowledge for shaving even when I use my Braun Electric on days when I get up very early for work.

I have recently gone to a 2-Pass and get a BBS for the most part and DFS on the neck area, I have tried and tried for BBS everywhere but was getting irritation so gave up and just get a comfy shave now.

I do a two pass shave every day. N-S (basically WTG) on face and neck, followed by ear toward nose strokes on cheeks & chin (XTG) and S-N on neck (mostly ATG, but some XTG in some areas). Result: DFS with some areas of BBS and no irritation. As Mick (Turtle) said above, razor burn (irritation) is caused by inadequate technique. No shave is "successful" if it results in irritation.

2 passes, with clean up, BBS every day, 7 days/week.

If you get irritation shaving, you're doing it wrong. Whose skin isn't "sensitive" to a razor? lol

Weekdays is a two on the face (wtg then atg), one on the neck shave. On the weekends, because I have time or date night or whatever, I go for BBS. I agree with a couple other posters above: it's just shaving.

Please forgive me if I have blasphemed.

I have to question where the idea that a traditional safety razor should routinely deliver a BBS shave came from. None of my grandfathers ever really had that smooth of a face, for sure, and they both have very strict standards about shaving (they both ended up using electrics in the end, and my maternal grandfather delt with ingrown hairs a lot).

I have the same question in my head. I think my grandfather never did 3 pass shave, nor my father did. I've asked my father how much passes he used to do with DE razor, he answered one and was bit surprised about idea doing any more. So honestly i'm not sure from where this traditional way of shaving with three passes came from. :001_huh: Seems more like a modern way for me. By the way, i'm a two passes guy myself. I found two passes is enough for me to get decent DFS and keep my face happy!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Hell, I've had a handful of one-pass shaves that were good enough for me to stop (or good enough to get me by with the time I had). I've done wonders with a synthetic brush, a good razor and blade, and a stick of Arko, and I don't even know what the heck I'm doing yet!

Top Bottom