What's new

2 Pass BBS, or how I Learned to Love the New SC

So, I love my Superspeeds- I’ll never be without one. I love my New Long Comb- I thought it might be “the One”. I’ll admit I’m still getting to know my Techs- (we’ve agreed we need to see other people). I can get a great shave with any of those razors.

But I have fallen head over heels for my New Short Comb! This morning, using my normal prep and an Astra SS blade, I did one N-S pass, relathered then once ATG, then a little blade buffing with just water on a couple spots I missed. Effortless.

And it was as good a shave as I have ever had using a 3-4 pass shave with any other razor. With zero irritation.

I am blown away. I always thought my preference was for mild shavers, (since I tend to use steep angles and I tend to be lazy with prep). But the effortless efficiency of the New SC has me converted.

Is there a New Short Comb club? Who do I see about dues and the secret handshake? I may have found my desert island razor!

Photo: SC on right; Otto Roth LC on left

Attachments

• AE8466A7-3C13-4EA5-AE1B-482EB9463520.jpeg
    AE8466A7-3C13-4EA5-AE1B-482EB9463520.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
So, I love my Superspeeds- I’ll never be without one. I love my New Long Comb- I thought it might be “the One”. I’ll admit I’m still getting to know my Techs- (we’ve agreed we need to see other people). I can get a great shave with any of those razors.

But I have fallen head over heels for my New Short Comb! This morning, using my normal prep and an Astra SS blade, I did one N-S pass, relathered then once ATG, then a little blade buffing with just water on a couple spots I missed. Effortless.

And it was as good a shave as I have ever had using a 3-4 pass shave with any other razor. With zero irritation.

I am blown away. I always thought my preference was for mild shavers, (since I tend to use steep angles and I tend to be lazy with prep). But the effortless efficiency of the New SC has me converted.

Is there a New Short Comb club? Who do I see about dues and the secret handshake? I may have found my desert island razor!

Photo: SC on right; Otto Roth LC on left
I have never once in my life used an open comb razor, they scared me with their evil looks (like a gardening rake). But I keep reading about them and one of these days might just get one and give it a try. Having zero room on my razor shelf, however, it might not be soon.

I checked my razor rating list and, yep, the New SC is at the absolute top of the OC list. I am also a slant fan, but I'm not going to try to pick a favorite between slants and OC.

I have a New SC that someone had re-plated in rhodium. That is my desert island OC, but I may just be prejudiced by the bright, bright shine.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have tried to figure out the actual differences between the two piece NEW Raised Flat Bottom and the 3 piece Raised Flat Bottom as far as the design and actual use.

The other day, the notch on the 2 piece was pointed out to me. I had been looking at the Mr Razor site and couldn’t see the difference.

Same with long comb vs short comb in actual use. Then you have the “new” and the “NEW”. I’m so confused. It’s a good thing I have 2 British Flat Bottom Techs on the way, as well as a British Raised Flat Bottom #44.

I’m just copying @Cal and hoping I like what he likes. That will be it for Vintage Gillette razors for me……. And I’m not interested in any of the other Vintage stuff.

Top Bottom