What's new

$2 or less Shaving Foam - Barbasol, Gillette, Nivea, & Equate

$Foam Tournament.jpg

I recently did my own "tournament style" test of several $2 or less Shaving Foams. There was very little difference between all eight contenders. There were a few that performed a tad better than others, but the most noticeable difference was in the fragrances. The densest foams came from the Barbasol camp, while the Gillette duo had the strongest fragrances. The Nivea foam was more “real shave cream” like in its texture and feel on the face.

It must be noted that these products are not terrible. Each delivered a respectable shave. Sometimes in our passion for the good stuff (soaps/creams) we tend to label the “canned goo” as atrocious. It is inferior to the good stuff, but not by the margin you might think. I find these foams to be a viable quick go to when I’m in a rush to get out the door. It’s also a good travel option.

Here’s my thoughts on each foam I tested. They are listed in order of my preference.

1. Barbasol Soothing Aloe (green can) - A great combination of fragrance and performance! It has a distinct garden like “green” fragrance with a bit of a floral quality. And, maybe that smidge of Aloe helps a bit in the post-shave feel.
  2. Barbasol Sensitive Skin (orange can)- I understand this is a relatively new “flavor” in the Barbasol line up. If so, I think they’ve done their homework on this one. In my opinion, it’s the best of the Sensitive foams. Perhaps the inclusion of Thyme, Papaya, Willow, and Aloe contributed to it’s more natural fragrance and excellent performance.
  3. Nivea Sensitive - This one seems to be the fan favorite. No doubt it is a top performer with good glide and post-feel. However, it did not have the luxurious density of the Barbasol foams. And, while the fragrance is very good, it gets a little monotonous since it’s in everything Nivea makes.
  4. Gillette Foamy Regular - The fragrance was one of my favorites, if not my favorite. It reminds me of the old school Shulton Old Spice smell. The performance was average. On the downside, the Gillette is about 60 cents higher than the Barbasol (in my part of the country anyway). Typical greedy Gillette!
  5. Barbasol Original (red can)- A great barber shop fragrance with average performance. Interestingly, the Gillette Regular and the Barbasol Original have pretty much identical ingredient lists.
  6. Barbasol Pacific Rush (blue can) - This one performs much like the Barbasol Original. However, the fragrance is a nice fresh aquatic, and is perfect for Summer. Take this one on your beach vacation.
  7. Gillette Foamy Sensitive Skin - Nothing to write home about here. For a Sensitive foam the fragrance is strong, and quite pleasant. Performance was middling. I personally would not purchase it again because of it’s higher price relative to Barbasol and Equate.
  8. Equate Sensitive Skin - It says “Compare to Gillette Foamy Sensitive Skin” on the can. While this may be the best $1 can of foam you can get, it’s not as dense, nor is the fragrance as nice as the others. But, it works!
Now back to the good stuff!!! :w00t:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Good point about the Nivea.

When you look at the price point $2/can vs. $15-17 for a high-end soap - it's a consideration.

I'm trying to use up, not throw away, my cans ... rarely reached for.

EDIT: thought occurred; asked LOTH what soap SHE uses ... "whatever's in the shower." Scary thought, but legs aren't faces.

AA

View attachment 586309

I recently did my own "tournament style" test of several $2 or less Shaving Foams. There was very little difference between all eight contenders. There were a few that performed a tad better than others, but the most noticeable difference was in the fragrances. The densest foams came from the Barbasol camp, while the Gillette duo had the strongest fragrances. The Nivea foam was more “real shave cream” like in its texture and feel on the face.

It must be noted that these products are not terrible. Each delivered a respectable shave. Sometimes in our passion for the good stuff (soaps/creams) we tend to label the “canned goo” as atrocious. It is inferior to the good stuff, but not by the margin you might think. I find these foams to be a viable quick go to when I’m in a rush to get out the door. It’s also a good travel option.

Here’s my thoughts on each foam I tested. They are listed in order of my preference.

1. Barbasol Soothing Aloe (green can) - A great combination of fragrance and performance! It has a distinct garden like “green” fragrance with a bit of a floral quality. And, maybe that smidge of Aloe helps a bit in the post-shave feel.
  2. Barbasol Sensitive Skin (orange can)- I understand this is a relatively new “flavor” in the Barbasol line up. If so, I think they’ve done their homework on this one. In my opinion, it’s the best of the Sensitive foams. Perhaps the inclusion of Thyme, Papaya, Willow, and Aloe contributed to it’s more natural fragrance and excellent performance.
  3. Nivea Sensitive - This one seems to be the fan favorite. No doubt it is a top performer with good glide and post-feel. However, it did not have the luxurious density of the Barbasol foams. And, while the fragrance is very good, it gets a little monotonous since it’s in everything Nivea makes.
  4. Gillette Foamy Regular - The fragrance was one of my favorites, if not my favorite. It reminds me of the old school Shulton Old Spice smell. The performance was average. On the downside, the Gillette is about 60 cents higher than the Barbasol (in my part of the country anyway). Typical greedy Gillette!
  5. Barbasol Original (red can)- A great barber shop fragrance with average performance. Interestingly, the Gillette Regular and the Barbasol Original have pretty much identical ingredient lists.
  6. Barbasol Pacific Rush (blue can) - This one performs much like the Barbasol Original. However, the fragrance is a nice fresh aquatic, and is perfect for Summer. Take this one on your beach vacation.
  7. Gillette Foamy Sensitive Skin - Nothing to write home about here. For a Sensitive foam the fragrance is strong, and quite pleasant. Performance was middling. I personally would not purchase it again because of it’s higher price relative to Barbasol and Equate.
  8. Equate Sensitive Skin - It says “Compare to Gillette Foamy Sensitive Skin” on the can. While this may be the best $1 can of foam you can get, it’s not as dense, nor is the fragrance as nice as the others. But, it works!
Now back to the good stuff!!! :w00t:

Do you really find the canned stuff that much faster when you are in a rush? I really don't. I can whip up a great lather with Arko and a boar brush in literally a few seconds. Seems like I'm always running a bit late on workdays but I don't find wet shaving including the brush and soap part slows me down much. I do take my time and slow down on non workdays.

It might take a whole minute to make a great uberlather, but it's so much better than one of those dry canned goo things.

I tried Barbasol with alot of different styles and smells and found them at best a waste unless you are trip or some kind of extreme need of a shave and left the right soap home or etc etc.. At the end of the day how much can you really complain about a $2 can if shaving cream ??? I switch to Proraso Red/ sandalwood and found it to be alot cheaper then buying the can snot and I get a better and smoother shave which is more important to me..

Do you really find the canned stuff that much faster when you are in a rush? I really don't. I can whip up a great lather with Arko and a boar brush in literally a few seconds. Seems like I'm always running a bit late on workdays but I don't find wet shaving including the brush and soap part slows me down much. I do take my time and slow down on non workdays.

Yes, if I'm in a hurry I reach for my Trac II and the foam and do a single with the grain pass. It's by no means perfect, or near as enjoyable as my DE with my Razorock/Proraso/TOBS/etc, but it is lightning fast.

I keep a can of Barbasol green for when I need to shave at the gym. And honestly, sometimes I just like a nice Barbasol shave, I like the stuff!

Excellent review, thank you for the time and effort you expended in behalf of all the members.
Although I generally use a soap puck, mug and brush, I frequently use aerosol foam and my Trac II or Atra for an enjoyable shave.

Love the scent of Pacific Rush, but it performs too much like original Barbasol for me to buy it again. Aloe and Sensitive Skin are awesome as far as foam in a can goes. I've not yet tried the Nivea gel with a DE, but I enjoyed it quite a bit when I was being abused by Fusions.

For those who shave in the shower, I say Barbasol is the way to go. As long as you use plenty of foam and water together, you can get excellent lubrication and moisture. I've found that the only way for me to get Barbasol to work properly out of the shower involves getting the entire sink area and most of my clothing wet as I shave; brush and a good cream or soap keep me dry, so that's what I use. Still keep a can of Barbasol in the shower for manscaping though. :thumbup1:

Great post. As I am new to this side of the shaving world I have always enjoyed going to the barber for a good shave whenever possible or on travels to Engalnd and such where I am willing to spend a little extra for a touch of class that does nto ussually come natural to me. However, as I have been introduced to this world it does seem that many on here look down to the majority of the population that utilizes the mass produced and promoted quick shave items. I am not saying that is wrong becasue everyone has a right to their opinion. I for one have used barbasol for year. I am excited to try new soaps and get a good lather I am not opposed to using my old stand-by if needed or in a hurry. For me this change was an interest in vintage styles of shaving and a dislike of the price and results for modern razors.

I don't remember shaving with it now, so I can't really recall the performance, but years ago Gillette used to make a Barber Shop scent that smelled absolutely incredible. Would be nice to find that scent in a soap or cream.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I see that guy from Pittsburgh likes to save money.

I like to save money.

That's why it says below, 'Excalibur'.

I don't remember shaving with it now, so I can't really recall the performance, but years ago Gillette used to make a Barber Shop scent that smelled absolutely incredible. Would be nice to find that scent in a soap or cream.
I think it works about like every other version of Foamy. Okay, nothing to write home about. It does smell great. I'm surprised Gillette never made a gel version of it.

It is directly because of this thread that I went out and bought a couple if cans this morning. I did one pass with the Barbasol orange. I liked it pretty well. Not as nice as the green, or soaps, but not bad. My jury is still out in the scent. The Gillette regular scent was amazing. It might be my favorite scent on a canned ccream ever. The pass I did with it was not as luxuriously rich, though.

It must be noted that these products are not terrible. Each delivered a respectable shave. Sometimes in our passion for the good stuff (soaps/creams) we tend to label the “canned goo” as atrocious. It is inferior to the good stuff, but not by the margin you might think.

This is the conclusion I came to when I re-visited canned products like this after switching to DE shaving and lathering traditional products with a brush. I found the Nivea stuff I used to use to be far below what I had grown accustomed to with a bowl/brush. Upon returning to it, I could see that it had a drying effect on my skin.

But Barbasol, especially the "green" aloe variety, is nearly as good as "the good stuff", and certainly faster for me.

I keep a can of Barbasol green for when I need to shave at the gym. And honestly, sometimes I just like a nice Barbasol shave, I like the stuff!

I don't reach for my Barbasol green as much as I should. I like it, and it gives a great shave.

I think it works about like every other version of Foamy. Okay, nothing to write home about. It does smell great. I'm surprised Gillette never made a gel version of it.

Adding to this, I dropped by a store I know carried Gillette Barbershop Fresh (or clean, I think it's been sold under both names) and they have it, so it's still around.

Great thread, thanks for this informed comparison. I have a Gillette Foamy Regular that I sometimes use when I'm running late. I find it not as slick as a soap lather, (and not as fun) but perfectly adequate to the task. I'll definitely look at the green Barbasol when it starts getting low.

Top Bottom